Delicious Double Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe is made dairy-free and vegan and just as flavorful as the favorite, easy dessert recipe. The classic easy dump cakes use a boxed cake mix with cherry pie filling. Dairy-free chocolate chips and chopped pecans are added for even more flavor. Make this easy vegan dessert recipe in the oven or see tips for making it in a crockpot.
It’s cherry season here on our farm. Wait! I don’t live on a farm (It just sometimes feels like I do). I’m a big fan of cherries with chocolate but I do wish there were a better name for this Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake.
I tried changing it to chocolate cherry clutter cake, but, in the end, I’ll stick with the dump cake moniker. It’s popularity is undeniable!
Interestingly enough, the Dump Cake came onto the scene at the same time as the wacky cake, in the early 1900s. This was a time when people were forced to be creative with desserts either due to a lack of available ingredients or time.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
Are you wondering how to make a dump cake? Good! Because there are only a few easy steps to make this tasty vegan chocolate and cherry dump cake:
Step One: Cherry Pie Filling
Let’s start this cherry pie filling dump cake by opening two cans of cherry pie filling. Spread it all into the bottom of an ungreased 9X13 cake pan. You can use low sugar pie filling if you prefer.
Spread the pie filling evenly across the bottom of the baking dish.
Step Two: Add Dry Cake Mix
Next, sprinkle the dry, chocolate cake mix over the cherry pie filling. See below for vegan cake mix options. I used a gluten-free vegan chocolate cake mix and it worked perfectly!
Step Three: Melted Vegan Butter Pour Over
Next, place the vegan butter in a microwave-safe dish and heat until melted. I heat it in 30-second increments.
Drizzle the melted butter over the cake mix. Be sure to spread the love a little and get an even amount across the cake mix.
Use a spoon to gently stir any areas of dry cake mix that might be peaking through the melted butter.
Step Four: Chopped Pecans + Chocolate Chips
I’ve seen some 3 ingredient dump cake recipes that exclude the pecan and chocolate chip toppings. I’m sure those are great too, but by adding just two more ingredients, you’ll take this vegan dessert over the top!
Spread the chopped pecans evenly across the top of the melted butter.
Next, spread the chocolate chips over the top. You can adjust the amount of toppings if you’d like — either by adding more or less chocolate chips and pecans.
Step Five: Bake!
Bake the cherry chocolate cake in the oven for 50 minutes. Yes, that is a long time to wait, but I know you can do it!
Remove the chocolate dump cake from the oven and let cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
This dump cake with cherry pie filling is really good when it’s warm.
Vegan Cake Mixes
I’m sure you could create your own cake mix, but this recipe is for chocolate cherry dump cake recipes using cake mixes. Today, there are plenty of accidentally vegan foods in grocery stores, including cake mixes!
Here are some favorite vegan chocolate cake mixes for chocolate dump cake recipes:
- Most of Duncan Hines cake mixes don’t have dairy and eggs these days (always read package labels), including this Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix. Imagine using this to make a black forest dump cake!
- Many Betty Crocker cake mixes also don’t have eggs these days (again, always read labels), including this Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake Mix which would make a perfect Betty Crocker dump cake!
- Some Pillsbury cake mixes are accidentally vegan as well, but I always check the labels because it’s changing every day! This Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake Mix is made without dairy or eggs
- For an organic, gluten-free option, Simple Mills Chocolate Cake Mix is made with almond flour and organic ingredients
Expert Tips for Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipes
Use these tips and tricks to make this sinful double chocolate cherry cake recipe perfect every time:
- For vegan butter I use Earth Balance
- I love adding about 1/2 cup coconut flakes to the top before baking for some added flavor
- Substitute half of the vegan butter with coconut oil
- Use lite cherry pie filling if you’d like
- Make this as a 3 ingredient cake by leaving off the chocolate chips and pecans on top (but those do add a nice touch!)
- Halve this recipe and bake it in a square 8X8 or 9X9 inch baking pan, and reduce the cooking time by about 20 minutes
- Make a cherry brownie dump cake by substituting a brownie mix for the chocolate cake mix (just be sure to use one that’s dairy-free)
- Make chocolate cherry dump cake in a crockpot by following all the instructions above, except doing so in your crockpot. Then cook on high for 2 hours.
- Serve with Coconut Whipped Cream!
Delicious Vegan Cake Recipes
For more vegan cake recipes, try my vegan vanilla cake recipe. It’s a glamorous (but easy) cake for Birthdays, parties, or even weeknight treats. Here’s my wacky chocolate cake for another super easy, but tasty cake. You should also check out my vegan chunky monkey cake. Imagine peanut butter, chocolate, and banana all in one cake. It’s delicious!
And since you obviously like chocolate cherry dessert recipes, these vegan chocolate cherry cupcakes are divine! For a change of pace, be sure to try this almond butter cake with chocolate drizzle over the top!
Of course, if you want to skip the cake and go straight for the chocolate, this Vegan Fudge recipe is perfection!
That’s it in this recipe for dump cake!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 2 15 ounce cans cherry pie filling
- 1 16.5 ounce box chocolate cake mix (dairy-free, egg-free)
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Open the 2 cans of cherry pie filling and spread into the bottom of an ungreased 9X13 cake pan.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the cherry pie filling.
- Next, place vegan butter in microwave-safe container and cook in 30-second increments until melted. Drizzle melted butter over the dry cake mix. Be sure to spread the butter evenly across the cake mix.
- Evenly spread the chocolate chips over the top and then follow with the chopped pecans.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 – 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
- Store this cake by covering and refrigerating. It will keep 3 – 5 days in the fridge.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.