Air Fried Tofu delivers a crispy crust with a perfectly chewy center. Use this light tofu recipe over noodles, on salad, in your favorite bowl recipes, in wraps and more!
I got my air fryer last year after a fun conversation with Brandi of Stay Snatched. She is an air fryer guru. In fact, she even wrote a book on it! I confess, I was skeptical, but it didn’t take long before I fell in love.
My first venture was to make air fried french fries. Of course! What I love about the air fryer is that it makes nicely crispy goodies without ALL the oil.
I should clarify something. I have never been a person who deals well with lots of greasy foods. Things like:
- fried donuts
- French fries
- fried tofu.
I enjoy the flavor of eating these foods, but they have never left me feeling great. So I love finding ways to have these dishes without all the grease. The perfect remedy? The air fryer!
How Does An Air Fryer Work?
An air fryer is basically a convection oven on steroids. It circulates hot air around the food and “fries” it or makes it crispy.
There are lots of air fryers on the market, finding the one that works best for you is important. I prefer an air fryer that is light and fits in my cabinet, because I don’t like a lot of things sitting out on the counter.
How to Make Air Fried Tofu
Here are the ingredients used to make air fried tofu:
- extra-firm tofu
- olive oil
You can’t get much easier than that. I love buying extra firm tofu at Sprouts because it costs about $1.50 there. But, there are plenty of places to find tofu, like Natural Grocers, Whole Foods, Walmart, Target, or even the produce section of many grocery stores.
You can expect to pay between $1.50 to $3.00 per 15-ounce container of tofu.
The next step is to press the tofu. I recommend removing the tofu from the container, then wrapping it in a kitchen towel or paper towels, placing it on a plate, and then placing something heavy over the top. Alternatively, you can even stand over the sink and press the tofu. You just want to be careful not to press so firmly that you cause the tofu to crack.
Next, you’ll want to cut the tofu into cubes. I take the extra step of drying the tofu, by using a kitchen towel or paper towels. Then transfer the cubes to a bowl and drizzle with oil. If you have an oil sprayer it can be helpful. Either way, use a spatula or your hands to work through the tofu to make sure each piece is coated.
Finally, heat up your air fryer and place the prepped tofu in the basket.
Cooking Air Fryer Tofu
It takes around 20 minutes to make air fryer tofu, however, I recommend removing the basket regularly and shaking it to help “stir” the tofu cubes. This helps the tofu to get browned evenly on each side.
Once the tofu is browned sufficiently, remove it from the air fryer basket and sprinkle some sea salt over the top.
How to Serve Fried Tofu
Now comes the fun part, eating the air fryer tofu. Here are some recipes where you could use this delicious fried tofu:
- My favorite Orange Tofu recipe. Just replace the frying tofu step with this air fryer tofu.
- Miso Glazed Tofu — that glaze would go perfectly on this tofu
- I think some crispy tofu would be delicious on this Harvest Salad with Pumpkin Ranch dressing
- Serve this tofu with some Awesome Sauce and you will be a happy camper
- I love zoodles and adding some healthy crispy tofu to my Zesty Sesame Zoodles would be delicious
- We always served steamed broccoli or Brussels sprouts with tofu and rice. I highly recommend it as a way to add more vegetable to your daily diet
- Adding some homemade brown rice or even cauliflower rice would make this a complete meal!
I hope you love this recipe for air fried tofu as much as we do! It’s a favorite Friday night recipe these days! If you decide to make it, be sure and snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your photos!
Air Fried Tofu
- 15 oz extra-firm tofu
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Remove tofu from it’s container. Wrap in paper towels or a kitchen towel and stand over the sink and gently press tofu to remove excess liquid. Cut into 1/2″ cubes. Use a paper towel to dry the cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat each piece.
- Preheat air fryer to 375F and set the timer for 18 minutes. Allow the air fryer to heat up. Remove the basket and spray with vegetable cooking spray. Add the tofu cubes and spray the top with vegetable cooking spray.
- Every 5 minutes, remove the basket and stir the tofu by shaking the basket so that each piece is browned equally. Cook for 15 – 18 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached.
- Serve fried tofu over rice with steamed veggies. Drizzle with any extra marinade. Or serve fried tofu as an appetizer by serving with a dipping sauce.
- Transfer any unused tofu to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 7 days.