You love French fries? The crispier the better, right? Well, you’re going to fall head over heels for this delicious, crispy and EASY Air Fryer French Fries recipe, made with only one teaspoon of olive oil! It’s the perfect way to enjoy healthy French fries at home, This crispy air fries recipe is low in fat and lower in calories than typical fries. I provide information on how to use an air fryer, and how long to cook these air fryer fries below.
I have loved french fries since forever. In my early vegan days, I was known for ordering french fries and a salad for lunch. I tried to blame this on the fact that most restaurants didn’t have good options for vegans. That was partially true. But times have changed and now restaurants offer so many great vegan options (including vegan pizza!).
But guess what? I still love french fries and a salad!
Are Air Fryer French Fries Healthy?
An air fryer uses heat, air, and a fan to make that hot air circulate around food really fast. As a result, the food gets crispy and browned.
Think of a marshmallow over a campfire. That browned exterior of the marshmallow is called the Maillard reaction, and it’s the same principles used by an airfryer.
If you’ve ever fried foods before, you know that you submerge the food in hot oil. Thanks to the use of hot air and the speed of that air around the food, an air fryer can make foods crispy (aka, fried), with a lot less to no oil.
Whether or not you fall in the “fats are good” camp or not, we can all agree that getting those fats from whole foods, like avocados or nuts, is a much better option than fried foods. Reducing the amount of deep fried foods in the diet is a good thing. The air fryer makes that much easier to do.
Air fried fries have around 190 calories per serving compared to 365 calories for a standard serving of fried french fries.
Is the Air Fryer Better than Stove-Top?
I have a tried and true way of making homemade, healthy french fries. I’ve been using it for years. I slice the potatoes in the shape of fries, and then I put them on a plate and place them in my microwave oven and cook the potatoes, until tender. Then I put those tender fries in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until browned.
However, to brown the potatoes in the skillet requires a lot of heat. It can cause a lot of smoke to come out of the pan, and that is the part I hate.
However, the air baked french fries are nice and crispy, and my kitchen isn’t smoky either. It’s a perfect solution!
How do you cook frozen French Fries in an air fryer?
It’s easy to cook frozen French fries in an air fryer. To get crispy French fries, spray the air fryer basket with vegetable cooking spray. Then, pour frozen French fries into the air fryer basket. Do not overfill the basket. Then cook at 400°F for approximately 15 minutes, shaking the basket to “stir” every 5 minutes or so.
Here’s what I love about my air fryer:
- It’s very lightweight which means I can store it in a cabinet when I’m not using it
- Alternatively, it’s relatively small and stylish design (I have the Crux model available at Macy’s) and so leaving it out on the counter is not a terrible blight on my kitchen
- I love how my air fry french fries come out crisp and evenly browned vs. the skillet
- The air fryer is pretty fast, cooking these french fries from scratch (raw potatoes) in around 20 – 25 minutes
- It’s a great way to reduce calories (from oil), while at the same time maintaining flavor and texture.
Here are a few recipes that I plan to use my air fryer with soon: Sweet Potato Tater Tots, Spicy Roasted Chickpeas, and even these Chocolate Vegan Croissants. I think they’d come out of the air fryer crispy and flaky! But I love my french fries air fryer style!
How to Make Air Fryer French Fries
If you’re wondering how to make French fries in an air fryer, you’ve come to the right place! I started with whole russet potatoes to make these air fried french fries. I’ve found russet potatoes deliver the best texture for french fries in general, so that’s my go-to choice.
We like our french fries with the peel (it’s where the nutrients are), so I gave the potatoes a quick scrub and rinse before starting.
Then I cut along the length of one of the potatoes, creating a flat side. I feel like that makes cutting the potatoes easier. I also cut off a little bit of the ends on both sides. From there I just make 1/4″ cuts along the long side of the potato. And then turn it and do 1/4″ cuts again, to create long, thin french fries.
Perfect, Crispy French Fries
It’s easy to make homemade fries air fryer style! However, to get those French fries good and crispy like we love them, be sure to heat your air fryer to 400F.
Next, use a paper towel or kitchen towel to remove excess liquid from the fresh cut potatoes. Then dump them into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Of course, you could add some spices here if you’d like as well, such as dill, chili powder, garlic, etc. I like to use my fingers to run the oil throughout the bowl and the potatoes to make sure each one is coated.
Dump the prepared sliced potatoes into the air fryer basket and set the timer for 20 minutes. Make sure to remove the basket at 10 minutes and use tongs to “stir” the fries, so they’re cooked evenly.
After twenty minutes, remove the basket and see if you need to remove some of the fries that are done. You may need to cook some a few minutes longer. If so return the basket into the air fryer and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
Once they’re done, sprinkle the french fries with salt and pepper and serve with your favorite condiments, like ketchup or homemade date sweetened BBQ Sauce!
That’s all you need for how to air fry french fries!
Want More Potato Recipes?
Sure you love these air fryer fries, but if you’re ready for more tasty potatoes recipes, check these out:
- Get ready for delicious with these Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- These Vegan Baked Potatoes are so amazing
- Make some Air Fryer Potato Wedges for your next meal
- For a simple roasted potatoes recipe, these Air Fryer Potatoes makes delicious herbed potatoes for a tasty side dish
- Speaking of potatoes, these Sweet Potato Tots are pretty tasty!
We hope you love these homemade French Fries in air fryer! I’m such a french fry nut and I love having a healthier version! We hope you will too! If you decide to make them, be sure and grab your camera and snap a photo and share them with me using #namelymary on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Air Fryer French Fries
- 2 medium russet potatoes , washed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat your air fryer to 400F.
- Cut off ends of the potato and cut a piece of one long side of the potato to create a flat edge. Then make 1/4 inch horizontal cuts lengthwise. Then turn the potato so it is laying flat (on the original edge you cut), and cut again in 1/4 inch thick strips. We leave peels on.
- Use a paper towel to dry off the potatoes. Transfer potato slices to a bowl and drizzle olive oil over the top. Use your fingers to make sure each potato slice is coated in oil.
- Transfer oiled potatoes to air fryer basket. Cook potatoes for 20 minutes, removing the basket and using tongs to “stir” the potatoes so they’re even cooked about half way through. Cook an addition 2 – 3 minutes if necessary.
- After the potatoes are done, remove from the air fryer and transfer to a serving dish (or plates) and season with salt and pepper.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Enjoy this air fryer French fry recipe!