You don’t want just any brownie recipe. You want the best vegan brownies recipe ever, complete with a rich, fudgy center. That’s why you’ll love this rich and fudgy vegan brownie recipe!
Serve these brownies with some No-Churn Vegan Ice Cream on top and some drizzled chocolate syrup.
You know vegan is all peanut butter granola, nuts, and veggies. right? But did you know it can also be gooey brownies too? It is! In fact, I make these vegan brownies all the time!
I’m on a mission to show that a vegan diet can have it all, including indulgently delicious foods like easy vegan brownies.
I started with my mom’s brownie recipe and transformed that over the years into the best vegan brownies, complete with a shiny crust on top.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Melting chocolate into the batter creates rich, dense, chocolate-infused brownies
- Applesauce adds next-level chewiness and moistness in every bite
- Coconut oil combined with vegan butter makes these the undeniably best brownies ever!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Dairy-free chocolate chips — The dark chocolate from Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips makes these brownies rich and indulgent. Some are melted into the batter, and the rest is added to create pockets of melted sweet chocolate throughout.
- Vegan butter — You can use Earth Balance, Miyokos, or make homemade vegan butter, all of which add a rich, buttery flavor.
- Coconut oil — There’s enough cocoa flavoring that you can use virgin coconut oil (more coconut flavor), but refined coconut oil (less coconut flavor) works well too. Either way, these brownies won’t taste like coconut.
- Sugar — You can use granulated white sugar or coconut sugar to make it just the right amount of sweetness.
- Applesauce — We’re adding applesauce to make these brownies extra moist.
- Ground flaxseed
- Plant-based milk — Use your favorite plant-based milk, like soy, almond, cashew, etc.
- Vanilla extract
- Flour — You can use all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour. To make gluten-free vegan brownies, use high-quality gluten-free baking flour.
- Cocoa powder — To make them extra chocolatey, this recipe includes natural cocoa powder (the kind you find in the baking section of your grocery store).
These brownies are delicious! They are rich and fudge and if I didn’t know they were vegan, I never would have guessed it. I’m not vegan or even vegetarian but still found these very satisfying. Yum!
How to Make Vegan Brownies
If you’re used to using lots of eggs and dairy butter with your brownies, the ingredients in today’s recipe will seem a little different. Where are the eggs? Where’s the milk? Don’t worry, these brownies are fabulous without them!
Here’s a synopsis of the steps involved:
- Stir together melted chocolate chips, vegan butter, and coconut oil until melted.
- Mix in the sugar, applesauce, milk, water, cornstarch, ground flaxseed, and vanilla.
- Stir together the dry ingredients.
- Make the batter by stirring together the flour mixture with the chocolate mixture and remaining chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool brownies completely before slicing.
Here are more detailed step-by-step instructions.
Step One: Melt Chocolate
First, melt the chocolate chips with vegan butter and coconut oil in a microwave. Stir it all together.
Step Two: Add Remaining Wet Ingredients
Add the applesauce, sugar, flaxseed, cornstarch, plant-based milk, vanilla, and water. Stir these all together and then set them aside.
Step Three: Combine Dry Ingredients
Next, stir together the dry ingredients, including flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
Step Four: Making Brownie Batter
Stir together the dry ingredients with the chocolate mixture. Then, add the remaining chocolate chips and give it all one last stir.
Step Five: Pour and Bake
Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake it for 40 to 45 minutes.
Quick Fix Tip
This recipe makes a generous serving of simple vegan brownies. You can reduce it by half and bake it in a square baking pan if you prefer a smaller batch.
For frosted vegan brownies spread Vegan Chocolate Frosting on top.
To store brownies, allow the pan to cool. You can cover the pan or transfer cut brownies to an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. They can be refrigerated for up to 7 days or they can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw frozen brownies, set them in the fridge overnight or on a counter at room temperature for several hours.
- You can use all vegan butter or all coconut oil.
- Cut brownies without tearing them by letting them cool completely (or even refrigerating them first) to let them set. You can also keep a glass of hot water nearby and dip the knife in the water between slices.
- Make your brownies gluten-free by substituting a gluten-free baking flour in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Classic brownies do not require leavening (such as baking soda) because they’re dense and fudgy. Adding baking soda would make the brownies more cake-like.
More Vegan Chocolate Brownies
Here are even more delicious brownies to try:
Best Vegan Brownies
- 1 ¼ cups dairy-free chocolate chips , divided
- ½ cup vegan butter , cut into cubes
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large, microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup chocolate chips, vegan butter, and coconut oil. Cook for 1 minute. Set aside until the chips have melted. Stir to combine.
- Add the sugar and give it a good stir. Then add the applesauce, milk, water, cornstarch, ground flaxseed, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Pour the flour mixture into the bowl with the chocolate ingredients along with the remaining chocolate chips. Stir until just combined (with no more big clumps of flour). Do not over-mix.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. For more gooey brownies, remove them from the oven at 40 minutes. Otherwise, cook for 45 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely before slicing.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2019 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.