Looking for a healthy way to enjoy cookie dough? This chickpea cookie dough is rich in fiber, but you wouldn’t know it to taste it. That’s because it’s infused with peanut butter, chocolate chips, and more!
This chickpea cookie dough is a reinvented version of my edible peanut butter cookie dough recipe. The thing about that recipe is you have to bake the flour (a necessary step when eating cookie dough made with flour). We get to skip that here because there is no flour in this recipe.
That means this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, easy (only 6 ingredients), and absolutely delicious!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Adding peanut butter infuses delicious flavor in every bite
- Creaming chickpeas in a food processor or blender creates a creamy texture, very similar to hummus
- Using both vanilla and coconut extract makes the perfect balance of flavors
- Adding chocolate chips transforms this into the perfect cookie dough dip!
What Peanut Butter is Best
There are three basic types of peanut butter: 1) Natural (the kind that has to be stirred, 2) Creamy, and 3) Crunchy. Some types of peanut butter work better for different recipes. Most of the time I prefer using natural peanut butter because it doesn’t have added hydrogenated oils or sugar. For this recipe, you can use whatever kind of peanut butter you like best.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chickpeas — You’ll need a 15-ounce can of chickpeas (also referred to as garbanzo beans). I use regular, but you can also use unsalted (be prepared to add a little salt to get the best flavor).
- Peanut Butter — You can use regular or crunchy peanut butter or substitute your favorite nut butter.
- Agave Nectar — Agave nectar is one of my favorite vegan products at Costco. You can also find it in health food stores and grocery stores. Feel free to substitute maple syrup.
- Extracts — I like adding a teaspoon each of vanilla and coconut extract for the best flavor. You can use all vanilla if you don’t have coconut extract.
- Chocolate Chips — Choose from any of your favorite dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Optional toppings: Sprinkle finely chopped pecans, coconut flakes, or cacao nibs throughout. Sometimes I’ll even swirl in more peanut butter.
Add a half teaspoon of ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to transform this into a winter-spiced cookie dough dip.
How to Make Chickpea Cookie Dough
- Make the dough — Combine chickpeas, peanut butter, agave nectar, and extracts in a food processor. Pulse several times until combined.
- Make it creamy — Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse again until it’s creamy.
- Add chocolate chips — Transfer the dough to a bowl and stir in chopped chocolate chips and any other favorite toppings.
- Serve it — Serve it as is with spoons.
Store this cookie dough in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
What does chickpea cookie dough taste like?
It tastes like peanut butter cookie dough infused with chocolate chips. Be sure to process the chickpeas until they’re nice and smooth to get the best consistency. It also tastes best chilled.
How to make cookie dough without a food processor?
If you don’t have a food processor, I recommend peeling the chickpea skins, then use a blender and process until nice and smooth.
Serve this chickpea cookie dough for movie nights with any of these tasty treats:
More Peanut Butter Recipes
I hope you love this chickpea cookie dough recipe as much as we do!
Chickpea Cookie Dough
- Dough: Combine chickpeas, peanut butter, agave nectar, and vanilla in a food processor. Pulse several times until combined.
- Make it creamy: Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse again until it's creamy. Pro tip: You can make it even creamier still by peeling the chickpeas.
- Add-ins: Transfer the dough to a bowl and add chopped chocolate chips and any of your favorite add-ins. Stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Serve: Add some spoons and serve this dip with your favorite popcorn for a perfect movie night snack.
- Store in an airtight container. These will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.