Imagine finding a delicious way to add turmeric to your diet/ This turmeric golden milk latte is infused with turmeric nutrition, and it’s a tasty, lightly sweet beverage to serve any time of day. Made with only 3 ingredients plus spices, this refreshing beverage is ready in minutes!
I don’t drink coffee, but I do love alternative beverages. For example, my vegan hot chocolate is a go-to favorite. And so is my hot chocolate tea (so interesting!). In the summertime, I go straight for my iced chai latte. Now I have a new favorite beverage to add to my list because I love to drink golden milk lattes.
If you love flavorful drinks with lots of nutritional benefits, this might be your favorite, too!
How to Make This Recipe
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Reserve 1 cup of plant-based milk. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a mason jar. Cover and shake until combined.
- Make an iced drink: Fill two glasses with ice. Pour the turmeric concentrate evenly into the glasses. Add reserved milk.
- Make a Hot Drink: Pour the turmeric concentrate into a mug, until it’s about 2/3 full. Heat in a microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Add steamed plant-based milk (see below for how to steam milk) and sprinkle ground nutmeg on top.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Plant-based milk — I love using soy milk, but you can use almond milk, cashew milk, pecan milk, oat milk, or even coconut milk.
- Maple syrup — I love adding a bit of maple syrup, but you can substitute agave nectar or even one or two Medjool dates.
- Spices — We’ll be adding ground turmeric (or you can substitute fresh turmeric root), ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and a pinch of ground nutmeg to the milk.
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a root vegetable in the same family as ginger. You can buy it in its root form more easily these days. You can use a spoon to remove the outer skin and then grate turmeric over tofu scramble or salads. For this recipe using ground turmeric works great.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Adding ground turmeric to plant-based milk transforms it into an amazing golden color and infuses it with flavor.
- You can make it rich and thick by using creamy plant-based milk or full-fat coconut milk. Or make it “skinny” by using thinner milk like almond milk.
- A little bit of maple syrup is all you need to make this drink sweet and delicious.
- Turmeric adds anti-inflammatory nutritional benefits!
What is golden milk?
Golden milk is a flavorful beverage made by combining plant-based milk with spices, like turmeric, cinnamon, ground ginger, and more. You can serve it chilled or heated in a mug.
Are golden milk lattes healthy?
Golden milk lattes can be a healthy beverage, especially thanks to the powerful nutrients offered from turmeric (a well-known anti-inflammatory). However, adding unnecessary sugars can negate some of those benefits. Keep the sugar minimal to gain the best nutritional benefits.
Why add black pepper to golden milk?
Black pepper actually increases the bioavailability of the beneficial nutrients in turmeric, so adding it to your golden milk makes it even healthier. Besides, it actually tastes good because it adds more depth of flavor. Source.
Does golden milk help you sleep?
Turmeric has been shown in some studies to aid in relaxation, which could result in improved sleep. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory and other health benefits. That means adding a cup of golden milk in the evening can be a part of improving sleep for some. Everyone is different, so give it a try to see if it works for you. [Source.]
I started making this drink when it got hot outside and now I drink it almost every day. Love it!
Steaming Plant-Based Milk
I love adding rich, foamy steamed plant-based milk to my hot beverages. Here are my favorite steps I’ve mastered over the years:
- Use a milk frother — I have both a handheld wand-like frother and a Bodum manual milk frother. They both do a great job creating foamy milk.
- Heat the milk — Pour about a half cup of soy milk in a mug and heat it for 30 seconds before frothing it.
- Use the best milk — I have the best luck with soy milk because of its high-protein content. It’s hard to get some nut-based milks to foam because they don’t have much protein.
- Let the foamed milk sit — Once you foam the milk, let it sit for a minute before pouring it into your drink.
Store the turmeric milk concentrate in a lidded glass jar (like a mason jar) for up to 5 days. It can be frozen in freezer-safe containers for up to 2 months.
- Any type of plant-based milk can be used in this recipe
- Be sure to stir the concentrate before serving
- Change the quantity and/or type of sugar used to suit your preference.
More Refreshing Beverages
Looking for more delicious beverages? Give these a try to tickle your taste buds!
Iced Golden Milk Latte
- 3 cups plant-based milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch ground nutmeg
- pinch ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Reserve 1 cup of plant-based milk.
- Make the Turmeric Concentrate: Combine the rest of the plant-based milk and the remaining ingredients in a mason jar. Cover and shake until combined.
- Iced Drink: Fill two glasses with ice. Shake the turmeric concentrate and pour evenly into the glasses. Add reserved milk.
- Hot Drink: Shake the turmeric concentrate and pour it into a mug until about ½ full. Heat in a microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Add steamed plant-based milk (see notes) and sprinkle ground nutmeg on top.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.