This Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies recipe is an indulgent cookie full of delicious flavor! You’ll love everything, from the chewy chocolate cookie to the peanut butter filling!
When family are coming over, it’s important to make something extra special. I make food to show people how much I love ’em. I know, it’s a problem, but what can I say?
Of course, I like to make delicious food all of the time, like for my husband and daughter. And the dogs. Yes, it’s true, the dogs can’t eat chocolate. Poor Jack and Coco. How depressing life would be without chocolate, and yet somehow they seem happy all the time. What irony!
I love making these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Sandwich Cookies for special occasions. They’re not only delicious, they’re what I call coffee shop quality too!
How to Make Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
To make these tasty peanut butter creme cookies, begin by melting together chocolate chips and the milk in a microwave-safe bowl.
Next, use a mixer to beat together the vegan butter and sugar. As with so many homemade cookie recipes, we’re going for a light and fluffy batter. Then add the ground flax, cornstarch, water, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Again, use the mixer and beat until combined. Finally, you’ll add the melted chocolate mixture and beat on high, until fluffy.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour this to the chocolate butter mixture and beat until well combined. Add the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir until equally distributed throughout the batter.
These are the best chocolate cookies! To bake them, use a cookie scoop to make 1″ cookie dough balls. Place them 2″ apart on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 9 – 11 minutes, until the cookies are done. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 1 – 2 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the cookies are made and cooled.
How to Make Peanut Butter Filling
It’s the peanut butter filling that really sets these homemade sandwich cookies apart from the rest!
To make peanut butter filling for cookies, combine peanut butter and vegan cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed to soften and blend, about 2 minutes. Then, add the vanilla, powdered sugar, and salt, and beat to until fluffy.
Sandwich Cookie Assembly
To assemble the peanut butter cream cookies, place a dollop of peanut butter cookie filling on the flat side of one cookie and place a second cookie, flat side down, on the filling.
This part is entirely optional, but definitely sets these peanut butter cookie sandwiches apart. Crumble some Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter cups or chop up some dairy free chocolate chips. Then roll the edges of the cookie in the crumbled candies. Voila! Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches!
Storing Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
To store this peanut butter sandwich cookie recipe, place them in an airtight container. They’ll keep at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days. You can freeze these cookies too. Simply place them in a freezer friendly container and keep them frozen for up to 3 months. Set them out to thaw at room temperature for around 30 minutes to an hour.
I’m really into making a big batch of cookie dough and freezing the dough balls so I can just make a few here and there when the mood strikes me. You know, like every minute!
I have a thing for fresh cookies!
What You’ll Love About these Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
OK, I’ll confess, these peanut butter and chocolate sandwich cookies are a little more work than my normal cookie recipe. But we can handle a little bit of hard work, right? It’s like Edison says, there’s nothing that can replace it. He should know, because he said this:
There’s no substitute for hard work. — Thomas Edison
But I promise the cookies at the end of this rainbow are well worth the journey. And honestly, the only thing that makes these cookies a little harder than your average cookie is making your own peanut butter cups. If you can find a dairy-free version of peanut butter cups, then getting store-bought ones will make this recipe go even faster.
If you’re a fan of this flavor combination like I am, then you’ll be tickled peanut butter with this recipe. 🙂
Also, these peanut butter creme sandwich cookies are a real crowd pleaser. This is something that always gives me a big rush — to place a tray of cookies in front of my peeps and listen for the oohs and ahs that follow.
So if you like rich, creamy, and peanut buttery cookies, you’re gonna love these!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you give it a try, take a photo and share it with #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your photos!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Sandwich Cookies
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 cup vegan butter softened
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Chocolate Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie pan with parchment paper.
- Combine 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup plant-based milk in a microwave safe bowl, stir together, and then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the two together. Heat again in 10 – 15 second increments, until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the softened vegan butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground flax, cornstarch, water, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Use the mixer and beat until combined.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and beat on high, until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour this to the chocolate butter mixture and beat until well combined. Add the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir until equally distributed throughout the batter.
- Use a cookie scoop to evenly distribute cookie dough onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 9 – 11 minutes, until the cookies are done. Remove the pan from the oven. Allow cookies to cool 1 – 2 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the cookies are made and cooled.
Whipped Peanut Butter Creamy Filling:
- Combine peanut butter and vegan cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed to soften and blend, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, powdered sugar, and salt, and beat to until fluffy.
Sandwich Cookie Assembly
- The assemble the cookies, place a dollop of Peanut Butter Filling on the flat side of one cookie and place a second cookie, flat side down, on the filling. Crumble some Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter cups and roll the edges of the cookie in the crumbled candies. Voila! Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches!
If you’re into chocolate peanut butter recipes, here’s some vegan/vegetarian recipes you’ll want to check out:
- Gluten-free Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Quickbread at Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- Chocolate Peanut Butter pie by Once Upon a Chef
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl by Simple Vegan Blog
- Or how about my Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie for a change of pace?
Whatever chocolate peanut butter goodie your gobbling down, enjoy!