This Easy Creamy Vegan Pasta Bake Recipe is a delicious, creamy, garlic pasta, covered in red sauce and dripping with delicious vegan cheese. Vegan Pasta Casserole is easy to make and healthy too! We love to serve Vegan Baked Pasta on a Friday night and enjoy leftovers for the week. It’s fancy enough to share as a family dinner, but simple enough so you can enjoy your guests too!
Family meals should be special. I don’t know how I arrived at that notion after growing up on salsbury steak TV dinners and Macaroni and Cheese. Not to say that we didn’t have more than a few made-from-scratch homemade dinners; it’s just that I don’t recall the sense of a committed family dinner time.
That’s definitely this recipe – simple and easy, but still delicious: Easy Vegan Pasta Bake.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are so many things in life I love, it starts to get kind of silly. You can’t love everything, right?
Well, now that I think about it, there’s more than a few things I don’t love so much either. Who ever came up with the idea of Mondays? And pantyhose. Not to mention wrinkles, cellulite, and a whole host of other things.
But now I’m starting to harsh my own mellow. Let me start again.
There are lots of things I love. Like moving around in the kitchen, using my own capable hands to grab a bowl, stir a sauce, measure ingredients. After a day spent in front of a computer living in a virtual world, the kitchen is a wonderful reminder of the physical order of things.
We can move, we can create, we can see the results of our labor…including the incredible aroma that wafts throughout the house and the look of happiness when our loved ones finally take those first bites.
So, you’ll definitely love the aroma of this easy vegan garlic pasta recipe. I think you might also love the vibrant colors that results from combining pasta with a sweet potato and a generous helping of garlic. I like to add some fresh basil, but dried works fine if you don’t have any fresh on hand.
How to Make Vegan Pasta Bake
The most important thing you need to know about making vegan tomato pasta bake recipe, is whether or not your pasta is egg-free. I look at the ingredients to make sure. Once you’ve got that down, it’s a matter of following these steps:
Step One: Cook the Noodles
Cook the pasta following the recommendations on the box. I don’t add salt to my water, because we’re going to add delicious flavor to the sauce that surrounds the pasta.
Also, you can use whole wheat penne pasta for this recipe. The flavorful sauce should camouflage the darker color of the whole wheat pasta. Maybe your crew won’t care about that. Maybe mine doesn’t either, but I can’t help but wonder about it sometimes. I know whole wheat is healthier so I try to sneak it in whenever I can.
Drain the cooked pasta. I even used a paper towel to blot the pasta dry. Then transfer the pasta to a prepared 9X13 baking dish.
Step Two: Prepare the Garlic Sweet Potato Filling
I know sweet potatoes are an unusual ingredient for a pasta dish, but it works! Prick a sweet potato with a fork several times and then microwave it for a couple of minutes, until tender. Use tongs to remove it from the microwave and set aside to cool.
Peel the garlic and add it to a food processor. Once the sweet potato has cooled enough to handle, chop it into large chunks (including the skin) and add it to the food processor as well. Pulse a few seconds. Add vegetable broth and pulse again until smooth.
Pour the Sweet Potato Filling over the pasta and stir until distributed equally throughout the pasta.
Step Three: Add Toppings
Pour the red pasta sauce evenly across the top of the pasta. Sprinkle veggie crumbles over the pasta sauce and add any of your favorite veggies, like chopped mushrooms. Sprinkle the top with chopped fresh basil (or dried) and vegan mozzarella.
You can buy veggie crumbles at most grocery stores these days, but you can also make your own! I know, it sounds crazy, but I made some veggie sausage crumbles from oats. It’s true!
Step Four: Bake and Serve
Once done, remove the vegan bake from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before serving.
Bake the pasta casserole for 20 – 25 minutes, until the cheese has melted. You can place a piece of foil over the top of the pan before baking to trap in steam and melt the cheese too.
Love Vegan Pasta Dishes?
Do you love vegan pasta dishes? If so, you’ll be head over heals for these best vegan recipes:
- You should check out my Easy Vegan Penne Pasta. It’s so good!
- This Easy Vegan Lasagna is layered deliciousness in every bite!
- Make this Meatless Baked Ziti as part of your meal prep and enjoy leftovers for lunch and weeknight dinners
- Vegan Baked Spaghetti is easy to make and a visually stunning recipe!
- Serve Vegan Pesto on your favorite pasta any day of the week!
- Make some delicious Easy Vegan Pasta Salad as the perfect side dish for most recipes!
Is Vegan Pasta Healthy?
There’s a lot of healthy ingredients in this easy vegan garlic pasta recipe, including the tomatoes from the pasta sauce. Did you know tomatoes are loaded with lycopene? That’s important because lycopene is an antioxidant that packs a lot of benefits, including bone health!
I also threw in a sweet potato in this recipe, and you probably already know about the amazing phytonutrients called beta-carotene. In addition, you’ll get lots of fiber from both the sweet potato and the whole wheat penne pasta in this recipe.
As you can see, there’s lots of healthy to be found in vegetarian baked pasta.
Favorite Vegan Side Dishes
The options for side dishes with this recipe are endless, but here are a few of my favorites you can try:
- Vegan Broccoli Salad makes a nice side dish
- Or you can have this Vegan Raw Kale Salad — so good!
- What about Vegan Homemade Breadsticks
This vegan pasta bake recipe is so easy and delicious. Just cook up some pasta, throw in the garlic topping, add some red sauce and vegan cheese and pop it in the oven for a few minutes. There you go!
We hope you love this recipe for Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta! I know it’s a go-to favorite at our house. If you decide to make it, be sure to share a photo using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your creations!
Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta
- 1 box Penne Pasta
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 small Sweet Potato
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Pasta Sauce look at the ingredients and make sure it’s vegan
- 1 cup Veggie Crumbles
- Your favorite veggies like sliced mushrooms or red peppers optional, based on what you’ve got handy
- 3 leaves of fresh basil chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 cup Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- Heat your oven to 375F.
- Follow the directions on the box to cook the pasta. Once done, rinse in cool water, drain any excess water (I even used a paper towel to blot it dry), and spread across the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- In the meantime, stab the sweet potato with a fork a few times and microwave for about 2 – 3 minutes, until slightly tender.
- Peel and chop the garlic and add to a food processor, along with the olive oil. Chop the sweet potato into chunks (I included the peel) and add that to the food processor as well. Pulse until smooth. Add the vegetable broth to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture over the past and stir to distribute it throughout the pasta. Make sure the pasta is distributed equally throughout the pan, and then pour the pasta sauce evenly over the top.
- Spread the veggie crumbles over the pasta sauce. Then add any of your favorite veggies.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh basil on top, followed by the shredded vegan mozzarella.
- Place the baking dish in your heated oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Once the pasta is done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool a bit. Serve warm.
There you go! A nice, easy recipe for your next Friday night family dinner. How about tonight?