This Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta is a creamy, garlic pasta, covered in red sauce and dripping with delicious vegan cheese. It’s easy to make and healthy too! We love to serve this on a Friday night and enjoy leftovers for the week. It’s fancy enough to share as a family dinner, but simple enough so you can enjoy your guests too!
Do you love vegan pasta dishes? Me too! You should check out my Easy Vegan Penne Pasta. It’s so good!
Family meals should be special. I don’t know how I arrived at that notion after growing up on salsbury steak TV dinners and Macaroni and Cheese. Not to say that we didn’t have more than a few made-from-scratch homemade dinners; it’s just that I don’t recall the sense of a committed family dinner time.
Everyday dinners were more of a necessary part of the day rather than something special. Maybe that’s why I’ve come full circle. As an adult I like the idea of creating fun, family night dinners. Sometimes I’ll go all out and spend a lot of time on a special recipe. Or sometimes my idea of “special” may mean getting the meal put together quickly and enjoying more time with the people I love.
That’s definitely this recipe – simple and easy, but still delicious: Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta.
Why You’ll Love Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta
There are so many things in life I love, it starts to get kind of silly. You can’t love everything, right?
Well, now that I think about it, there’s more than a few things I don’t love so much either. Who ever came up with the idea of Mondays? And pantyhose. Not to mention wrinkles, cellulite, and a whole host of other things.
But now I’m starting to harsh my own mellow. Let me start again.
There are lots of things I love. Like moving around in the kitchen, using my own capable hands to grab a bowl, stir a sauce, measure ingredients. After a day spent in front of a computer living in a virtual world, the kitchen is a wonderful reminder of the physical order of things.
We can move, we can create, we can see the results of our labor…including the incredible aroma that wafts throughout the house and the look of happiness when our loved ones finally take those first bites.
So, you’ll definitely love the aroma of this easy vegan garlic pasta recipe. I think you might also love the vibrant colors that results from combining pasta with a sweet potato and a generous helping of garlic. I like to add some fresh basil, but dried works fine if you don’t have any fresh on hand.
How to Make a Vegan Pasta Recipe
The most important thing you need to know about making a vegan pasta recipe, is whether or not your pasta is egg-free. I look at the ingredients to make sure. Once you’ve got that down, it’s a matter of cooking the pasta following the recommendations on the box. I don’t add salt to my water, because I add some delicious flavor to the sauce that surrounds the pasta.
Also, I used whole wheat penne pasta for this recipe. I figured since I was using a sweet potato in the sauce, it would camouflage the dark color of the whole wheat. Maybe your crew won’t care about that. Maybe mine doesn’t either, but I can’t help but wonder about it sometimes. I know whole wheat is healthier so I try to sneak it in whenever I can.
You can buy veggie crumbles at most grocery stores these days, but you can also make your own! I know, it sounds crazy, but I made some veggie sausage crumbles from oats. It’s true!
Is Vegan Pasta Healthy?
There’s a lot of healthy ingredients in this easy vegan garlic pasta recipe, including the tomatoes from the pasta sauce. Did you know tomatoes are loaded with lycopene? That’s important because lycopene is an antioxidant that packs a lot of benefits, including bone health!
It’s one of the things I love about eating plants — they’re full of surprising nutritious benefits!
I also threw in a sweet potato in this recipe, and you probably already know about the amazing phytonutrients called beta-carotene. In addition, you’ll get lots of fiber from both the sweet potato and the whole wheat penne pasta in this recipe.
As you can see, there’s lots of healthy to be found in this easy vegan garlic pasta.
What do I Serve Vegan Pasta With?
The options for side dishes with this recipe, are endless, but here are a few of my favorites you can try:
- Vegan Broccoli Salad makes a nice side dish
- Or you can have this Vegan Raw Kale Salad — so good!
- What about Vegan Homemade Breadsticks
- I think some Green Tea Fruit Punch would be nice too!
This recipe is so easy and delicious. Just cook up some pasta, throw in the garlic topping, add some red sauce and vegan cheese and pop it in the oven for a few minutes. There you go!
We hope you love this recipe for Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta! I know it’s a go-to favorite at our house. If you decide to make it, be sure to share a photo using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your creations!
Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta
- 1 box Penne Pasta
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 small Sweet Potato
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Pasta Sauce look at the ingredients and make sure it's vegan
- 1 cup Veggie Crumbles
- Your favorite veggies like sliced mushrooms or red peppers optional, based on what you've got handy
- 3 leaves of fresh basil chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 cup Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- Heat your oven to 375F.
- Follow the directions on the box to cook the pasta. Once done, rinse in cool water, drain any excess water (I even used a paper towel to blot it dry), and spread across the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- In the meantime, stab the sweet potato with a fork a few times and microwave for about 2 - 3 minutes, until slightly tender.
- Peel and chop the garlic and add to a food processor, along with the olive oil. Chop the sweet potato into chunks (I included the peel) and add that to the food processor as well. Pulse until smooth. Add the vegetable broth to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture over the past and stir to distribute it throughout the pasta. Make sure the pasta is distributed equally throughout the pan, and then pour the pasta sauce evenly over the top.
- Spread the veggie crumbles over the pasta sauce. Then add any of your favorite veggies.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh basil on top, followed by the shredded vegan mozzarella.
- Place the baking dish in your heated oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Once the pasta is done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool a bit. Serve warm.
There you go! A nice, easy recipe for your next Friday night family dinner. How about tonight?
We recently updated the photos on this recipe. We’ve learned a few things since the good ol’ days and we’re excited to share some new photos with you too!