Several of my recipes call for Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk and I realized that my process for making it is kind of unique, so I thought I’d share it with you. If you like some “how to” recipes, you should check out my post on How to Make Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream or How to Make Vegan Meringue. Good stuff.
Once I realized sweetened condensed milk wasn’t vegan, I sought about ways to create a non-dairy sweetened condensed milk. I’ve tried several different processes to make this recipe, and finally settled on this one.
Here are the reasons I took my time with this recipe:
- I needed a vegan sweetened condensed milk that would be like the kind you buy in cans and would firm up as its own layer in a baked good, like magic bars. Trust, me I tried a few different versions with varying degrees of results in this department.
- I also wanted something that wasn’t too difficult or time-intensive. The fact that we’re making our vegan sweetened condensed milk from scratch is just another added step to a recipe, so I wanted it to be simple.
- It needed to be tasty and sweet, and not have some flavor that would overwhelm the recipe. I tried using coconut milk, for example, but found the results tasted too much like coconut. Go figure.
With these three goals in mind, I created this recipe several years ago and it has been my go-to dairy-free sweetened condensed milk ever since.
How to Make Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
That picture above? That’s all the ingredients involved in this recipe. Pretty simple, right? So that has number 2 from my list above covered.
Easy recipe? Check!
I use a vanilla-flavored soy milk so I don’t have to add vanilla to the recipe. To this, I added cornstarch as a thickener. I know a lot of recipes for homemade sweetened condensed milk will have you cook the milk down, but I’ve found that if I want to achieve #1 from my list above — one that would firm up as its own layer in desserts — the cornstarch added some additional structure.
What you do is basically combine the soy milk, sugar, and cornstarch in a large, microwaveable bowl and then microwave until it comes to a boil. Once this mixture thickens to my desired consistency, add the vegan butter, stir to combine and then, voila!
See? It’s super easy to make.
Would you like to see some of my Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk in action?
Oh good. I thought you’d never ask! 🙂
Those are my Vegan Brownie Magic Bars. Look at that amazing, firm layer of sweetened condensed milk. Sweet!
So, the first time you pull the Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk from the microwave to give it a stir, it will probably look like this. Nice and runny. But give it a few more turns in the microwave (or over the stove if that’s your preference), and it will thicken up nicely. I usually refrigerate it immediately afterwards and then pour it over the recipe at the allotted time.
So here it is, my recipe for Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk.
Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup plant-based milk vanilla flavored*
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Combine the plant-based milk, corn starch, and sugar in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir until there aren’t any lumps from the corn starch.
- Microwave for about a minute and stir. Repeat this until the mixture is nice and thick, usually about 3 minutes.
- Use potholders to remove from the microwave. Stir in the vegan butter until incorporated.
- Allow to cool before covering and placing in the fridge.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
See? Isn’t that just SO easy!
Here are some vegan recipes that call for sweetened condensed milk:
- Vegan Magic Cookie Bars by the Wanderlust Kitchen
- Paleo Magic Cookie Bars by Food Faith Fitness
- Vegan San Francisco Magical Coconut Bars by the PPK (Post Punk Kitchen)
- Vegan Mini Magic Bars by yours truly!
Whatever bars you’re noshing on, enjoy!