Neapolitan Gooey Brownies Bars provide three layers of delicious dessert! This simple dessert bars recipe is made with layers of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry cake mixes. Easy vegan desserts are made without eggs or dairy.
These Neapolitan Gooey Brownies include classic Neapolitan flavors — chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
How to Make Neapolitan Gooey Dessert Bars
It’s easy to make these gooey dessert bars. Here are the ingredients: Vegan chocolate cake mix, vegan vanilla cake mix, vegan strawberry cake mix, vegan butter, 1 can full fat coconut milk, cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla.
Step One: Make a Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
Combine a little it of coconut milk with cornstarch and stir to combine.
In a saucepan stir together the rest of the coconut milk, the coconut milk/cornstarch mixture, and sugar. Heat this over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for a minute, until it’s thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside too cool.
Step Two: Chocolate Layer
First, line a 9X13 baking dish with foil. Make sure the foil hangs over the side of the dish.
In a large bowl add 1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan butter. Cook in the microwave until the butter softens (about 15 – 20 seconds). Add the chocolate cake mix and 1/4 cup of the sweetened condensed coconut milk.
Stir this together. It creates a thick dough, more like a cookie dough. Use a spatula and/or your fingers to press this into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Step Three: Vanilla Layer
Rinse and dry the bowl from Step two. Add 1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan butter. Cook in the microwave until the butter softens (about 15 – 20 seconds). Add the vanilla cake mix and 1/4 cup of the sweetened condensed coconut milk. Stir this together. Use a spatula and/or your fingers to press this over the chocolate dough layer.
Step Four: Strawberry Layer
No need to rinse the bowl this time because vanilla and strawberry work well together! Add 1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan butter. Cook in the microwave until the butter softens (about 15 – 20 seconds). Add the strawberry cake mix and 1/4 cup of the sweetened condensed coconut milk. Stir this together. Use a spatula and/or your fingers to press this over the vanilla dough layer.
Step Five: Drizzle and Bake
Drizzle the top layer with the remaining sweetened coconut milk, making sure to spread it evenly across the cake. This creates a glossy top to the finished dessert bars.
Press the foil so that it’s standing tall on each side of the pan. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 – 20 minutes before serving.
How many dessert bars do you get from a 9X13 pan?
Dessert bars are very rich so they should be cut into small slices. I recommend 30 servings for a 9X13 inch pan.
If you’re looking for perfect dessert bars for parties, this recipe should be on your list! It’s an easy dessert bar because it uses cake mixes and the flavor and presentation is amazing!
Need dessert bar ideas for your next office party? These tasty bar desserts would be perfect!
Besides, everyone will be so impressed. They’ll think you were in the kitchen for hours. That you’re quite the chef. Don’t worry, we don’t have to tell them that this was really easy to throw together.
(I was inspired to veganize this recipe from Neopolitan Gooey Cake Bars by the Picky Palate)
Neapolitan Gooey Brownies
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 15 ounce box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 15 ounce box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 15 ounce box Strawberry Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter (3 sticks)
- Prepare the Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk by combining one or two tablespoons of the coconut milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl and stir until well combined. In a microwave-safe bowl (or a small saucepan), combine the remaining coconut milk, the cornstarch/coconut milk mixture, and 1 cup of sugar. Stir and then heat in the microwave for 44 seconds. Stir and repeat several times until the mixture has thickened to your liking. It should resemble sweetened condensed milk. Stir in the vanilla and set aside to cool.
- Heat your oven to 350F. Prepare your 9 X 12 baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil. You’ll want to be sure to have the foil extend past each edge of the pan. That’s because this recipe expands a little bit (I learned the hard way and had to clean out my oven. Doh!). Then spray the foil with cooking spray. I used Pam’s baking vegetable spray which worked just fine!
- Next, in a large bowl, add one stick of margarine. Warm it in the microwave a few seconds until the margarine is soft. Add the chocolate cake mix and 1/4 cup of the cooled Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture. Stir to combine. This is going to be a sturdy dough – more like a cookie dough than cake or brownies. Spread the chocolate cake dough in the bottom of the prepared pan. You’ll have to coax it a little to get it to reach each corner of the pan.
- I rinsed out that large bowl and started over, again with 1 stick of margarine in the microwave until it was soft. This time add the yellow cake mix and stir well. Stir together and spread over the top of the chocolate dough.
- Guess what? I didn’t even rinse out the bowl to move to this next step. I figure every ingredient that might be left in this bowl would taste good in the next one. Just add a stick of your margarine and warm in the microwave a few seconds, add the strawberry cake mix and 1/4 cup of the cooled Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture. Stir to combine and then spread this dough over the yellow cake mix dough, again stretching it to reach each corner.
- Finally, pour the remaining Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture over the top, being sure to cover each area of the top layer equally. It looks good enough to eat right now!
- Be sure that aluminum foil is standing tall on each side of the pan before placing in the oven. Like I say, you don’t want to have any spills!
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until it’s done in the center.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool. The edges are not the pretty part so you can cut that part away and serve it to you dog, I mean your husband! Then take the pretty middle part to your party or office to show off your fabulous baking skills!
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
That Sweetened Condensed Coconut milk recipe can be used any time you have a recipe calling for sweetened condensed milk. And this Neapolitan Gooey Brownies Dessert Bars recipe can be used any time you have a hankering for the most delicious dessert ever!
If you’re into vegan dessert bars recipes, you might want to check these out:
- Vegan Pineapple Red Velvet Dessert Bar is a gorgeous combination of flavors and color!
- Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Dessert Bars are perfect when you want some gooey caramel
- Strawberry Chocolate Dessert Bars are not only delicious, but colorful as well!
Whatever easy vegan dessert you find yourself eating, enjoy!