Three layers of utter delicious is how I would describe these Neapolitan Gooey Brownies. Although Neapolitan typically consists of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, what I’m about to share with you gives that a little twist.
I have to begin this post with an apology. I’m sorry to have to share this recipe with you today. I truly am.
I’m sorry because normally I try find a balance between tasty and healthy. Today’s recipe registers so far on the tasty side that it leaves little room for anything healthy.
I tried to salvage a little healthy by replacing the middle “vanilla” flavor with banana…using actual bananas in the process.
That was the best I could do.
But every now and then to have something sinful and purely decadent in an overall healthy diet is OK. At least in my book.
Maybe it would be a good idea to have an extra serving of veggies with dinner. A little more salad than normal.
And then cut the slices of this Vegan Neapolitan Gooey Brownies nice and small. That way you can enjoy a few pieces for dessert.
Or maybe take them to your next office party. That way you can be sure to have one (or two), but you won’t have them sitting around begging you to overindulge.
Besides, everyone will be so impressed. They’ll think you were in the kitchen for hours. That you’re quite the chef. Don’t worry, we don’t have to tell them that this was really easy to throw together.
Uber delicious. Crowd pleasing. Awe-inspiring. Easy to throw together. This may be the perfect recipe. I suggest that you go home and make them right away. You’ll be glad you did!
(I was inspired to veganize this recipe from Neopolitan Gooey Cake Bars by the Picky Palate)
Neapolitan Gooey Brownies
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate Cake Mix*
- Yellow Cake Mix*
- Strawberry Cake Mix*
- 3 sticks of Earth Balance dairy-free margarine
- 2 bananas mashed
- Prepare the Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk by combining one or two tablespoons of the coconut milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl and stir until well combined. In a microwave-safe bowl (or a small saucepan), combine the remaining coconut milk, the cornstarch/coconut milk mixture, and 1 cup of sugar. Stir and then heat in the microwave for 44 seconds. Stir and repeat several times until the mixture has thickened to your liking. It should resemble sweetened condensed milk. Stir in the vanilla and set aside to cool.
- Heat your oven to 350F. Prepare your 9 X 12 baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil. You'll want to be sure to have the foil extend past each edge of the pan. That's because this recipe expands a little bit (I learned the hard way and had to clean out my oven. Doh!). Then spray the foil with cooking spray. I used Pam's baking vegetable spray which worked just fine!
- Next, in a large bowl, add one stick of margarine. Warm it in the microwave a few seconds until the margarine is soft. Add the chocolate cake mix and 1/4 cup of the cooled Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture. Stir to combine. This is going to be a sturdy dough - more like a cookie dough than cake or brownies. Spread the chocolate cake dough in the bottom of the prepared pan. You'll have to coax it a little to get it to reach each corner of the pan. You can do it!
- I rinsed out that large bowl and started over, again with 1 stick of margarine in the microwave until it was soft. This time add the yellow cake mix and stir well. Then add 2 mashed bananas (Yum!). Once that's stirred to your liking, spread it out over the top of the chocolate dough. Take your time if you want your family to think making this recipe is much harder than it really is.
- Guess what? I didn't even rinse out the bowl to move to this next step. I figure every ingredient that might be left in this bowl would taste good in the next one. Just add a stick of your margarine and warm in the microwave a few seconds, add the strawberry cake mix and 1/4 cup of the cooled Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture. Stir to combine and then spread this dough over the yellow cake mix dough, again stretching it to reach each corner.
- Finally, pour the remaining Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk mixture over the top, being sure to cover each area of the top layer equally. It looks good enough to eat right now!
- Be sure that aluminum foil is standing tall on each side of the pan before placing in the oven. Like I say, you don't want to have any spills!
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes until it's done in the center.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool. The edges are not the pretty part so you can cut that part away and serve it to you dog, I mean your husband! Then take the pretty middle part to your party or office to show off your fabulous baking skills!
That Sweetened Condensed Coconut milk recipe can be used any time you have a recipe calling for sweetened condensed milk. And this Neapolitan Gooey Brownies recipe can be used any time you have a hankering for the most delicious dessert ever!
If you’re into Neapolitan recipes, you might want to check these out:
- I love the look of this Neapolitan Cheesecake by I Am Baker.
- This Million Dollar Neapolitan Cake by Life, Love, and Sugar looks out of this world!
- Check out this Raw Vegan Neapolitan Cake by Home Cooking Adventure.
- Or you might be interested in these Vegan Strawberry Bars by yours truly!
Whatever chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla dessert you find yourself eating, enjoy!