Less than 10 ingredients and 10 minutes later you’ll be enjoying these Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls. Enjoy these healthy energy balls, filled with heart-healthy oats, shredded coconut, peanut butter, Omega-3 rich ground flax seeds, and, of course, chocolate chips. These energy bites will keep you going strong!
I’d like to restate a popular theory: there is nothing new in the world today. But yet, somehow, we trudge on. Go figure. Sorry for the negativity. It’s just that when I set out to make these Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls, I thought it was a concept that I had seen once or twice. You know, a smidge? But when I did a quick search before publishing this post, I saw that there are exactly 3.39 gazillion different energy bite recipes online. So, here I am sharing 3.39 gazillion…and one. Enjoy!
Questions from Strangers
Sometimes I like to go to a coffee shop to get some work done. I don’t know why I can be more productive in a noisy room full of people, but it works every time. So on Friday when I found myself in Starbucks waiting for my Chai Tea with Steamed Soy (oh yes, it’s a thing), I saw a notebook on the counter. I said the barista, “I think someone forgot their notebook.”
He responded, “Nope. We put that there. Every now and then we like to ask our patrons a fun question. People come up and write their answers if they want.”
I pretended, at least momentarily, to be uninterested. What kind of stupido would jump to a notebook and answer a question from a stranger?
Marly and the Caped Super Eater
Eventually I moseyed my way up to the counter and peaked over at the notebook. The question scrawled at the top of the page was, “If you could have any kind of super power, what would it be?”
“Well, that’s too easy,” I thought to myself. I know exactly what super power I want. I’ve even plotted it for years, but could I be brave enough to write it down for others to see?
Just then my little Brené Brown angel appeared on my shoulder, “Don’t be afraid to be vulnerable, Marly” Brené whispered in my ear. “Oh, and your chai tea is ready.” I smiled. That Brené sure is thoughtful.
So, I grabbed my chai tea, picked up the pen and wrote, “My super power would be Super Eater, eating my way through any and all tragedies, and yet still able to wear a bikini.
Oh, and a cape. All super power people need a cape.
Hey. A girl’s gotta dream.
How to Make Energy Bites
Energy bites are pretty easy to make. I always begin with adding oatmeal to a food processor. That’s followed with coconut flakes, peanut butter, and a syrup sweetener like agave, maple syrup, or honey.
In fact, once you have the foundation of the recipe down, you can begin altering it in myriad of ways. For example, I’ve created a Red Velvet Energy Bite that’s pretty flavorful…and colorful too.
You make these chocolate peanut butter energy balls by combining oatmeal (I prefer rolled oats, or old fashioned oats), ground flax seed (for omega-3s), and then from there I usually go with peanut butter.
However, you can switch this to almond butter, cashew butter, you name it! Then sometimes I’ll add shredded coconut. Once you add the syrup sweetener, the batter starts to come together.
I like to grab a little bit between my fingers and pinch it to see if it stays put. That’s usually a sign it’s ready to be rolled into balls.
If it’s still crumbly, you might need to add a little more syrup.
What I love About these Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
I first learned about the idea of energy balls at Chopped Conference. We invited local chefs to share their favorite appetizers during one of the receptions and one of the chefs made these delicious, bite-size balls he called Energy Balls.
I was so busy with everything that day I hardly had anything to eat, so when the reception started, I grabbed one (or two) just about every time I walked by his table. Yumminess!
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls are:
- super easy to make – less than 10 ingredients and 10 minutes!
- super healthy – they’re packed with Omega 3s thanks to the ground flax seeds
- lightly sweetened, so if you’re trying to reduce sugar, these are a perfect lightly sweet treat
- with the addition of dark chocolate chips, they’re so satisfying
- perfect for a light pick-me-up snack or even for breakfast with a cup of hot tea!
Need I say more?
Energy Bites with Coconut
I love making energy bites with coconut because they add flavor and even a little bit of crunch. Of course, there’s some nutrition involved as well.
Interestingly enough, coconuts are actually a fruit (not a nut). Coconuts are a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
That said, coconuts are also a source of saturated fat, so it’s good to keep it minimized in your every-day diet. Especially for people like me, who don’t have a gallbladder!
I want to say thanks to Waxing Kara for the delicious, high-quality honey used in today’s recipe. Also, we hope you love this recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites because they’re so healthy and so delicious!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Make it today and take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Oh, and one more thing. If YOU could have any super power you want, what would it be?
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Place everything except the chocolate chips in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds and push down the ingredients and pulse again until the ingredients are combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and give it one more very quick pulse to combine. I like to reserve a few chocolate chips to roll the finished energy balls to make them look irresistible.
- Roll the dough into bite-size balls, roll in reserved chocolate chips, and then store in the fridge. Allow the energy balls some time to chill in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes before serving to allow them to firm up or eat them in their ooey gooey room temperature state.
There are a lot of great energy ball recipes around. Here are a few of my new-found favorites you might want to check out!
- No-Bake Energy Bites by Gimme Some Oven. Way to go, Ali!
- Peanut Butter Energy Bites by Cooking Classy. Bring on the peanut butter!
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Bites by Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- Or maybe you might want to try these delicious Sesame Date Bites by yours truly.
Whatever energy bites are whetting your whistle, enjoy!