Poultry seasoning is a term used to describe a combination of seasonings that you can use in your vegan kitchen. The flavors in this recipe are amazing and perfect when used on tofu or vegan chicken fillets.
Turns out, poultry seasoning is actually a mixture of herbs, making it simple to throw together. I love having my own mix, made exactly the way I want it. Join me in this DIY experience!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- We’ll be using rubbed sage because it has a milder flavor and adds lovely color as well
- Adding dehydrated onions creates a distinctive taste that complements the other herbs in this mix
- There’s no salt added, meaning you can salt the finished dish as you prefer, rather than having the seasoning mix adding too much salt
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Sage — This is the star of the show. I prefer rubbed sage because the sage leaves have been rubbed, creating a lighter feel and flavor. It’s less intense than ground sage. If using ground sage, reduce the amount by a tablespoon.
- Thyme — I’m using dried thyme leaves, but you can substitute ground thyme.
- Marjoram — This herb is in the mint family and adds a sweet pine flavor.
- Rosemary — This herb is a very fragrant herb that originates from Mediterranean evergreens. You can chop the prickly leaves or add them to the seasoning mix as-is.
- Dehydrated onions — I prefer dehydrated onions because I find onion powder to be clumpy.
- Ground black pepper — You’ll get the best flavor using freshly ground black pepper.
How to Make Poultry Seasoning
- Assemble the ingredients.
- Stir them all together in a bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a lidded glass container.
When stored correctly, this poultry seasoning will keep for up to a year, although herbs are best when used within a few months.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is poultry seasoning used for?
Poultry seasoning is a mixture of dried herbs that brings out the best flavor in many dishes, including plant-based recipes.
Is poultry seasoning vegan?
Even though it has the word “poultry” in it, this seasoning mix is actually vegan. Created from different herbs, poultry seasoning can be used to flavor tofu, veggie burgers, gravies, and a variety of plant-based meats and sauces.
Ways to Use Poultry Seasoning
Use this poultry seasoning for vegan turkey, vegan chicken, or even tofu. Here are some favorite dishes where having this seasoning will come in handy:
That’s it for this poultry seasoning recipe!
Homemade Poultry Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons rubbed sage (see note)
- 3 tablespoons ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dehydrated onions
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir together.
- Transfer the mixture to a lidded glass container. It will keep up to a year.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.