Make your own homemade taco seasoning mix with this simple recipe made with minimal ingredients. Use this combination of seasonings for your favorite vegetarian Mexican recipes and never run out of taco seasoning again!
Of course you can buy store-bought taco seasoning, but why not try this vegan taco seasoning recipe and make it yourself. That way you get the flavorings exactly the way you like them.
It was a family member who encouraged me to start making my own taco powder. I’m so glad because there are lots of reasons for making your own spices at home. I now even make my own pumpkin pie spice, too.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Minimal salt is added to this taco mix, making it perfect for low sodium diets and allowing you to add more if you prefer
- Crushed red pepper flakes add a hint of zest, making this recipe a spicy favorite
- Turmeric adds color and flavor to every bite of this mix, so you can add it to your favorite recipes to add all the right Mexican flavors!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- dehydrated onions
- crushed red pepper flakes
- dried oregano
- ground turmeric
- ground cumin
- sea salt
- black pepper
How to Make Taco Seasoning
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Transfer to a lidded jar, like a mason jar or spice jar.
You can adjust this list of seasonings to fit your preferred tastes. Some like to add sugar to their taco seasoning. Some like more salt. I like a lot of ground cumin, but my husband does not, so I strike a balance that works for us both.
However you slice it, create the perfect taco seasoning for you!
Store this spice mix in an aright container or lidded jar. It will keep for up to 12 months if stored correctly. I repurpose a spice container or a small mason jar and it works great! I find spices are best when they don’t sit around too long.
How to Use This Homemade Taco Mix
You may be wondering how much Mexican spice mix to use to make the best vegan taco mix. Here’s a handy guide that I use:
Make Vegan Taco Meat:
- Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of taco spice mix to 2 cups of vegan veggie crumbles in a skillet.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the veggie crumbles are heated through.
Best Vegan veggie crumbles: I like to use Gardein Beefless Ground Crumbles, Bocca Crumbles, and/or Beyond Meat Crumbles. You can also use plant-based meat substitutes like Impossible Burgers or Pure Farmland.
Make Vegan Taco Steak
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning to 2 cups vegan steak pieces.
- Cook and stir over medium heat in a skillet until the vegan steak pieces are thoroughly coated and heated through.
The best vegan steak pieces are Gardein Beefless Tips.
Make Taco Jackfruit
- Drain a can of young jackfruit in brine (available at health food stores).
- Add two cups of water, and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 to 20 minutes, until the jackfruit is tender.
- Use a fork to break the jackfruit down into strands.
- Add 4 to 5 tablespoons taco seasoning and stir to coat the jackfruit.
- Continue simmering until the liquid has turned into a thick sauce.
Make Vegan Taco Chicken:
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of taco spice to 2 cups of vegan chicken pieces in a skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until the chicken pieces are heated through.
- Use a spatula to break the vegan chicken pieces into smaller, bite-size pieces. Add to taco salads, on vegan quesadillas, and more!
Best vegan chicken pieces: Gardein chicken pieces or make homemade vegan chicken.
Is Mexican spice mix and chili seasoning the same?
There are a lot of similarities between Mexican spice mix (taco seasoning) and chili seasoning, the main difference being the amount of ground cumin used. Chili seasoning will have less ground cumin and more chili powder.
More Vegan Taco Recipes
If you love vegan taco recipes, then these South of the Border dishes will be right up your alley. Use this best taco seasoning as much as you like for these:
Well, that’s it for this delicious Homemade Taco Seasoning Mild Recipe!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dehydrated onions
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric*
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir.
- Store in an airtight container.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.