Make Your Own Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix recipe with this simple list of ingredients. DIY Taco Seasoning Recipes have the perfect combination of seasonings for your favorite vegetarian Mexican recipes! Easy Vegetarian Taco Seasoning is the best and cheapest way to have lots of delicious seasoning on hand!
Of course you can buy store-bought taco seasoning, but why not try this Vegan Taco Seasoning Recipe and make it yourself! That way you get the flavorings exactly the way you like it! Make taco seasoning vegan from scratch and add it to your favorite recipes such as this spicy, crispy Roasted Chickpeas recipe and this Easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole.
It was a family member who encouraged me to start making my own taco powder. I’m so glad because there are lots of reasons for making your own recipe taco seasoning (see below), and once I realized that, I make this best taco seasoning recipe all the time.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Minimal salt is added to this taco mix, making it perfect for low sodium diets and allowing you to add more if you prefer
- Crushed red pepper flakes adds a hint of zest, making this recipe a spicy favorite
- Turmeric adds color and flavor to every bite of this mix, so you can add it to your favorite recipes to add all the right Mexican flavors!
How to Make Taco Seasoning
It’s easy to make this DIY Taco Seasoning. Combine seasonings in a bowl and stir together.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Ingredients
Have you ever wondered what’s in taco seasoning? Here are my preferred taco spice recipe ingredients:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- dehydrated onions
- crushed red pepper flakes
- dried oregano
- ground turmeric
- ground cumin
- sea salt
- black pepper
You can adjust this list of seasonings to fit your preferred tastes. Some like to add sugar to their taco seasoning. Some like more salt. I like a lot of ground cumin, but my husband does not, so I strike a balance that works for us both.
However you slice it, create the perfect taco seasoning for you!
Why You Should Make Taco Mix Recipe
There are a lot of reasons to make your own homemade vegan taco seasoning recipes. Here are a few:
- Making it homemade means you get to create the kinds of flavors you love in a taco seasoning. For example, Shawn doesn’t like much cumin. I love it. So I make our taco seasoning with a little less cumin and then sprinkle more on my dishes.
- Making your own taco seasoning means you know exactly what’s in and what’s NOT in your taco seasoning. Have you read the back of the taco seasoning packages? There can be a lot of ingredients. It’s disturbing. Leave out the preservatives and make it yourself!
- No unnecessary trips to the store. That’s because there’s a really good chance you have the ingredients to make your own taco seasoning right now in your cupboard. Save a trip and combine some spices. You might be like me and find out you love it!
- Make a triple batch and store it in a jar or an old spice container. Either way, it’s a much bigger container than those tiny taco seasoning packets sold at the store.
- You control the sodium. I hate overly salty foods. I love making my own seasoning so I can get the flavors I want without all the salt!
How to Use This Homemade Taco Mix
You may be wondering how much Mexican spice mix to use to make the best vegan taco mix. Here’s a handy guide that I use:
Make Vegan Taco Meat:
To make vegan taco meat, add 4 – 5 tablespoons of this Mexican spice mix to 2 cups of vegan veggie crumbles in a skillet. Heat over medium heat and stir until the veggie crumbles are coated.
Best Vegan veggie crumbles: I like to use Gardein Beefless Ground Crumbles, Bocca Crumbles, and/or Beyond Meat Crumbles.
Make Vegan Taco Steak
To make vegan taco steak, add 2 – 3 tablespoons Mexican spice to 2 cups vegan steak pieces. Cook over medium heat in a skillet and stir until the vegan steak pieces are thoroughly coated and heated through.
The best vegan steak pieces are Gardein Beefless Tips.
Alternatively, you could use canned jackfruit as well. Simply drain a can of young jackfruit in brine (available at health food stores), add two cups of water and bring to a boil.
Then reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the jackfruit is tender. Use a fork to break the jackfruit down into strands. Add 4 – 5 tablespoons Mexican spice mix and stir to coat the jackfruit. Continue simmering until the liquid has turned into a thick sauce.
Make Vegan Taco Chicken:
To make vegan taco chicken, add 3 – 4 tablespoons of homemade Mexican spice mix to 2 cups of vegan chicken pieces in a skillet. Cook over medium heat, while stirring to coat the chicken pieces. Use a spatula to break the vegan chicken pieces into smaller, bite-size pieces. Add to taco salads, on vegan quesadillas and more!
Best vegan chicken pieces: We use Gardein chicken pieces a lot!
Is Mexican Spice Mix and Chili Seasoning the Same?
There are a lot of similarities between this Mexican spice mix and chili seasoning, the main difference being the amount of ground cumin used. Chili seasoning will have less ground cumin and more chili powder.
Love Vegan Mexican Dishes?
If you love vegan Mexican recipes, then these South of the Border dishes will be right up your alley. Use this best taco seasoning as much as you like for these:
- This delicious Vegan Mexican Lasagna casserole is SO tasty!
- You’ll love these Easy Vegan Enchiladas! So much vegan cheddar cheese!
- This tasty Black Bean Dip is a go-to snack time favorite!
- Talk about easy, these Vegan Chicken Taquitos makes dinner time amazing!
- This Vegan 7 Layer Dip recipe is perfect for parties!
- How about a batch of this tasty Vegan Taco Soup for dinner!
- This Vegan Queso is a great sauce to add over any Mexican dish
- These Baked Vegan Nachos are comfort food on a plate!
- Use homemade taco seasoning to flavor the veggie meats in these tasty Vegan Empanadas!
- Make Vegan Quesadillas by cooking a tortilla in a skillet over medium heat. Add vegan cheddar cheese and one of the Vegan Mexican meat substitutes above. Cook until the tortilla is lightly browned and crispy and then fold it in half. Slice into quarters and serve!
- My favorite go-to recipe is to make vegan Mexican ground beef (using the guide above) and add that over chopped greens with vegan cheddar cheese, salsa, and vegan sour cream to make the most delicious Vegan Taco Salad! You can also use vegan Mexican Chicken (above) or Vegan Mexican Beef (above) to this salad too!
Well, that’s it for this delicious Homemade Taco Seasoning Mild Recipe!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dehydrated onions
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric*
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir.
- Store in an airtight container.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Store this Mexican spice mix in an aright container. It will keep for up to 2 weeks if stored correctly. I repurpose a spice container or a small mason jar and it works great!