This is the best Vegan Chicken Parmesan, complete with a buttery, crispy coating and topped with marinara and melted vegan mozzarella. Learn how to make this easy vegan recipe for a simple and delicious meal.
Having vegan chicken parmesan seems like an impossible thing, but I’m here to tell you, it’s not!
You simply bring to life the “chick” side of a can of chickpeas into something über fantastic! It’s now on our favorite family dishes network. No, that’s not an actual TV show, but we like to live our own regularly homespun sitcom kind of life! If you haven’t guessed by now, I play the part of the comic relief!
Healthy Chicken Parmesan Recipe Veganized
If you’re looking for a healthy chicken parmesan recipe, this veganized version is the only way to go! You’ll love that this recipe has ZERO cholesterol but is still packed with healthy protein, fiber, AND lots of flavor to boot!
It’s easy to make this vegan chicken parmesan. Here are the ingredients involved:
- sweet potato
- rolled oats
- minced onions
- garlic powder
- poultry seasoning
- nutritional yeast flakes
- ground flaxseeds
- ground black pepper
That’s what you need to create the fabulous chickpea patties. That’s your base for this vegan chicken parmesan dish.
How to Make Vegan Chicken Parmesan
It’s easy to make this vegan chicken parmesan recipe. Begin by making the chickpea patties using these steps:
- Combine oats and walnuts in a food processor to make a coarse flour. Then add the cooked sweet potatoes, followed by the chickpeas. This step will require a spatula so you can push down ingredients that make their way up the side of the food processor bowl.
- Add the seasonings and pulse again to combine.
- Form this bater into patties and then cook them in a skillet over medium heat to brown both sides of the patties. Remove them from heat and set aside to cool for 5 minutes or so.
Breading and Baking
The next step requires a breading and baking process. Let’s start with the ingredients involved:
- bread crumbs (I used cornflakes crumbs because they’re gluten-free)
- vegan parmesan cheese
- vegan butter, melted
- soy milk
- vegan mozzarella
Here are the Steps for breading your patties:
- In a bowl stir together the crumbs and vegan parmesan.
- In a separate bowl stir together the vegan butter and soy milk.
- When patties are cool enough to handle, dip each one in the milk mixture, followed by a dip in the bread crumb mixture, making sure all parts of the patties are coated. Place on a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or so, until the bread crumbs are a nice golden brown.
- Top patties with a dollop of marinara sauce and vegan mozzarella and return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or so until the cheese has melted.
You can store these vegan parmesan patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Alternatively, they can be frozen for up to 1 month. To serve, heat in a toaster oven until the coating is crispy and the patties are heated through. It may be difficult to get the vegan cheese to melt again, but if you put a piece of foil over the top it can help.
Serve these with a salad on the side or steamed broccoli. I also recommend some of my Vegan Cheesy Pull-apart Bread on the side. It’s easy to make and a crowd favorite!
I hope you love this recipe for Vegan Chicken Parmesan! I know we do! Make a double batch and freeze half for your meal prepping convenience. When you make this recipe, be sure and snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your photos!
Vegan Chicken Parmesan
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 3 tablespoons plain soy milk
- 1 cup dairy-free marinara sauce
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lina a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray a large skillet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Place potato in microwave and cook 2 minutes. Use oven mitts to remove from microwave and allow to cool about 5 minutes. Once cooled, chop into large cubes.
- Place oats and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until a coarse flour is formed. Add potato, chickpeas, onions, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, and 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed. Pulse 3 seconds, then use a spatula to push ingredients back down. Pulse again 3 seconds.
- Form mixture into 6 patties and place in prepared skillet over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes on one side. Flip, then sprinkle salt and pepper on uncooked sides and cook another 5 minutes until patties have firmed up slightly and are brown on both sides. Transfer from skillet to a large plate and set aside to cool about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs and vegan Parmesan. Pour melted butter, milk, and remaining 1 tablespoon flaxseed into a separate small bowl. Dip each patty in butter mixture, then dip in breadcrumbs and place on prepared baking sheet. Spray patties lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake 25 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Spoon equal amounts marinara sauce over each patty. Top with equal amounts mozzarella shreds. Return pan to oven and bake another 10 more minutes until cheese is melted.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then transfer patties to a large lidded container and refrigerate up to 10 days or freeze up to 2 months. To serve, cook in microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
An Updated Recipe
This recipe was recently updated to reflect our more simplified version of this recipe while still delivering on flavor! Our goal is to provide you with easy vegan recipes to help you cook delicious meals for yourself, your family, and more!
However, if you prefer the older version of this recipe, here are the ingredients:
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup flour (regular or gluten free)
- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon sage, dried
- ½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 tablespoon mild miso paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup dried lentils
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Vegan butter (aka, Earth Balance margarine), melted
- 1 tablespoon soy milk
- ¾ cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara
- cooking spray
These are the instructions for this version of the recipe:
- Heat oven to 400° F. Coat a large baking pan with vegetable spray.
- Add the chickpeas and the chopped onion to a food processor and pulse for several seconds.
- Add to the food processor, the flour, cornmeal, nutritional yeast flakes, sage, thyme, miso paste, vegetable oil, vegetable broth, and garlic powder. Pulse for several more seconds until everything looks good and mushy. That’s right, this recipe is going to be messy. But I promise, it will be worth it!
- Place the 1/4 cup of dried lentils in a grinder (we use a coffee grinder) and pulse for several seconds until the lentils resemble flour. Set aside.
- Next, you’re going to create a dipping station. So get out 2 wide bowls or plates. In the first one combine the ground lentils, breadcrumbs, flax seed meal, salt, and vegan parmesan (you can substitute nutritional yeast flakes if you don’t have any vegan parmesan).
- In the second bowl or plate, melt the vegan butter and add the soy milk. Stir until a little combined.
- Now, grab a handful of the chickpea mixture and form into something that looks like a patty. Lightly brush the top side of your patty with the vegan butter mixture, then place it buttered side down into the breadcrumb mixture. Yes, this will get messy, but all the best things in life do. Brush some additional vegan butter mixture on the top of the patty and sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top to coat it. Carefully place the breaded chickpea patty on your prepared baking sheet. Here is where you can reshape the patty to make it more oval. Repeat these steps with the remaining patties.
- Lightly spray each patty with a little more vegetable cooking spray. Then place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the pan from the oven and turn each patty over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven (again) and spoon marinara sauce over each breaded chickpea patty and top with shredded vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Turn the heat up to 450° F and bake the patties for at least 5 more minutes, or until the vegan cheese is melted.
Serve over pasta
Whichever version of this recipe you’re making, enjoy!