This is the best vegan chicken parmesan recipe, complete with a buttery, crispy coating and topped with marinara and melted vegan mozzarella. Learn how to make this easy vegan recipe for a simple and delicious meal.
Don’t you love all things pasta! I always wondered if it would be possible to make chicken parmesan vegan so I could serve it over a big plate of pasta! Then one day I decided to make it!
Having vegan parmesan chicken seemed like an impossible thing, but I’m here to tell you, it’s not!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- BEST TEXTURE — Using chickpeas adds delicious texture and flavor.
- CRISPY — Breading cooked chickpea patties creates a crispy, flavor-infused crust.
- FLAVOR — Topping patties with marina sauce and vegan mozzarella makes every bite delicious!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chickpeas — You’ll need a 15-ounce can of chickpeas or 1 3/4 cup of cooked from scratch chickpeas.
- Sweet potato — You’ll need 1 medium sweet potato (around 5 inches long and 2 inches wide).
- Rolled oats — I like rolled oats best, otherwise referred to as old-fashioned oats.
- Walnuts — If you don’t have walnuts you can substitute pecans or use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of almond flour.
- Seasonings — You’ll need dehydrated onions, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, black pepper, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, and pepper to season these patties.
- Ground flaxseeds — We’ll use ground flaxseeds as an egg replacer.
- Bread crumbs — You can use regular or gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Vegan Parmesan — Use storebought vegan parmesan or you can use homemade vegan parmesan.
- Vegan Butter — Use any dairy-free vegan butter or margarine. You can substitute olive oil.
- Plant-based milk — You can use soy milk, almond milk, etc, but make sure it’s plain (not vanilla) and unsweetened.
- Marinara sauce — Make sure to use dairy-free marinara sauce.
- Vegan mozzarella shreds — I prefer to use Follow Your Heart or Daiya Mozzarella Shreds.
Store patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Alternatively, they can be frozen for up to 1 month. To serve, heat in a toaster oven until the coating is crispy and the patties are heated through. It may be difficult to get the vegan cheese to melt again, but if you put a piece of foil over the top it can help.
You can serve vegan chicken parmesan with any of the following:
- Vegan Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo
- Serve these with a Vegan Caesar Salad on the side or on top of the salad.
- Steamed broccoli
- I also recommend some of my Vegan Cheesy Pull-apart Bread on the side or some Vegan Garlic Bread.
- Vegan Chicken Parmesan Pasta — Serve your parmesan patties over a plate of vegan fettucini alfredo for the ultimate dining experience!
These were so delicious that I’m making a double batch for the second week in a row. These have definitely become a staple in our home.
Vegan Chicken Favorites
If you love these vegan chicken parmesan patties, you’ll want to try this vegan chicken noodle soup or this vegan chicken and rice casserole. Here are even more tasty vegan chicken recipes for your next plant-based dinner!
Vegan Chicken Parm
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup vegan Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 3 tablespoons plain soy milk
- 1 cup dairy-free marinara sauce
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Lina a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray a large skillet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Place potato in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes. Use oven mitts to remove from microwave and allow to cool about 5 minutes. Once cooled, chop into large cubes.
- Place oats and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until a coarse flour is formed. Add potato, chickpeas, onions, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, and 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed. Pulse 3 seconds, then use a spatula to push ingredients back down. Pulse again for 3 seconds.
- Form mixture into 6 patties and place in a prepared skillet over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes on one side. Flip, then sprinkle salt and pepper on uncooked sides and cook for another 5 minutes until patties have firmed up slightly and are brown on both sides. Transfer from skillet to a large plate and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs and vegan Parmesan. Pour melted butter, milk, and the remaining 1 tablespoon flaxseed into a separate small bowl. Dip each patty in butter mixture, then dip in breadcrumbs and place on a prepared baking sheet. Spray patties lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake 25 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Spoon equal amounts of marinara sauce over each patty. Top with equal amounts of mozzarella shreds. Return pan to oven and bake another 10 more minutes until cheese is melted.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer patties to a large lidded container and refrigerate for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, cook in the microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2019 and was updated to include new text and an updated recipe in 2021.