This is the best vegan chicken parmesan, complete with a buttery, crispy coating and topped with marinara and melted vegan mozzarella. Learn how to make this easy vegan recipe for a simple and delicious meal.
Having vegan chicken parmesan seems like an impossible thing, but I’m here to tell you, it’s not!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using chickpeas to make the patties, creates delicious texture and flavor
- Breading cooked chickpea patties makes a crispy, flavor-infused crust
- Topping patties with marina sauce and vegan mozzarella makes every bite delicious!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chickpeas — You’ll need a 15-ounce can of chickpeas or 1 3/4 cup of cooked from scratch chickpeas.
- Sweet potato — You’ll need 1 medium sweet potato (around 5 inches long and 2 inches wide).
- Rolled oats — I like rolled oats best, otherwise referred to as old-fashioned oats.
- Walnuts — If you don’t have walnuts you can substitute pecans or use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of almond flour.
- Seasonings — You’ll need dehydrated onions, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and nutritional yeast flakes to season these patties.
- Ground flaxseeds
- Black pepper
- Bread crumbs — You can use regular or gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Vegan Parmesan — Use storebought vegan parmesan or you can use homemade vegan parmesan.
- Vegan Butter — Use any dairy-free vegan butter or margarine. You can substitute olive oil.
- Plant-based milk — You can use soy milk, almond milk, etc, but make sure it’s plain (not vanilla) and unsweetened.
- Marinara sauce — Make sure to use dairy-free marinara sauce.
- Vegan mozzarella shreds — I prefer to use Follow Your Heart or Daiya Mozzarella Shreds.
How to Make Vegan Chicken Parmesan
- Create chickpea batter by combining and pulsing ingredients in a food processor.
- Add the seasonings and pulse again to combine.
- Form patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat to brown both sides.
- Bread and bake the patties to create a crispy outer crust.
- Top patties with marinara sauce and vegan mozzarella and bake until the cheese melts.
- Serve over pasta or as a sandwich.
Here are more detailed step-by-step instructions.
Step One: Create Chickpea Batter
- Place a sweet potato in the microwave and cook it for 2 minutes, until tender. Let it cool slightly until cool enough to handle and then chop it into large cubes.
- Place the oats and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until a coarse flour forms.
- Add the remaining patty ingredients into the food processor, from the sweet potato chunks to the ground flaxseed.
- Pulse in short bursts until the ingredients are combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Step Two: Cook the Patties
- Form the mixture into 6 patties
- Place patties in a prepared skillet over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes on each side, sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Transfer cooked patties to a large plate and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
Step Three: Breading and Baking
Here are the Steps for breading your patties:
- Stir together the crumbs and vegan parmesan.
- In a separate bowl stir together the vegan butter and soy milk.
- When the patties are cool enough to handle, dip each one in the milk mixture, followed by the bread crumb mixture.
- Place breaded patties on a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or so, until the bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Top baked and breaded patties with a dollop of marinara sauce and vegan mozzarella and return them to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes or so until the cheese melts.
Store patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Alternatively, they can be frozen for up to 1 month. To serve, heat in a toaster oven until the coating is crispy and the patties are heated through. It may be difficult to get the vegan cheese to melt again, but if you put a piece of foil over the top it can help.
You can serve vegan chicken parmesan with any of the following:
- Vegan Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo
- Serve these with a Vegan Caesar Salad on the side or on top of the salad.
- Steamed broccoli.
- I also recommend some of my Vegan Cheesy Pull-apart Bread on the side or some Vegan Garlic Bread.
More Vegan Meat Options
If you love these vegan chicken parmesan patties, be sure to try these tasty vegan meat options for your next plant-based dinner!
Vegan Chicken Parmesan
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup vegan Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 3 tablespoons plain soy milk
- 1 cup dairy-free marinara sauce
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Lina a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray a large skillet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Place potato in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes. Use oven mitts to remove from microwave and allow to cool about 5 minutes. Once cooled, chop into large cubes.
- Place oats and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until a coarse flour is formed. Add potato, chickpeas, onions, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, and 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed. Pulse 3 seconds, then use a spatula to push ingredients back down. Pulse again for 3 seconds.
- Form mixture into 6 patties and place in a prepared skillet over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes on one side. Flip, then sprinkle salt and pepper on uncooked sides and cook for another 5 minutes until patties have firmed up slightly and are brown on both sides. Transfer from skillet to a large plate and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs and vegan Parmesan. Pour melted butter, milk, and the remaining 1 tablespoon flaxseed into a separate small bowl. Dip each patty in butter mixture, then dip in breadcrumbs and place on a prepared baking sheet. Spray patties lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake 25 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Spoon equal amounts of marinara sauce over each patty. Top with equal amounts of mozzarella shreds. Return pan to oven and bake another 10 more minutes until cheese is melted.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer patties to a large lidded container and refrigerate for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, cook in the microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2019 and was updated to include new text and an updated recipe in 2021.