Crispy Spicy Baked Roasted Roasted Chickpeas recipes are a perfect snack because it’s crunchy, healthy and delicious! Dry roasted chickpeas are topped with herbs and oil, creating an addictive texture and flavor! Crispy chickpea snacks (also referred to as roasted garbanzo beans) add important fiber and protein. See my tips below for making this healthy recipe extra crunchy!
I can’t believe I’m sharing a recipe for Crispy Roasted Chickpeas. Because when I was a kid I hated chickpeas. Now I’m a complete convert. In fact, I have so many recipes that use chickpeas. Everything from Green Monster Hummus, to Blondies, to Veggie Burgers. When I’m in, I’m all in!
When I was a kid, I believe we called these white legumes by their alternate name, garbanzo beans. Now it’s more cool to call them chickpeas. Even cooler? I like to think of them as roasted chick peas! 😊
How to Roast Chickpeas
Baked Chickpea snacks are a favorite because they’re easy to make and delicious. I love sharing how to make roasted chickpeas because it takes only a few steps, including:
Step One: Drain and Dry Chickpeas
Start with a can of chickpeas. I use regular garbanzo beans, but you can also use the low sodium variety.
Drain the chickpeas and transfer them to a kitchen towel or paper towels and pat them dry. Alternatively, let them sit out for several minutes to air dry.
Step Two: Add Oil
Pour olive oil into a bowl and add the chickpeas. Stir until all the chickpeas are coated. Then place the chickpeas on a pan lined with parchment paper.
Step Three: Bake
Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for around 20 – 25 minutes.
Step Four: Seasonings
Once the chickpeas are done, remove them from the oven and coat with salt and seasoning of choice. I love using Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning, but you can also make your own by combining the following: chili powder, smoked paprika, turmeric, and cumin.
All these flavor options means this transforms into multiple chickpea snack recipes!
Use these tips and tricks to make roasting chickpeas perfect every time:
- You could go the extra mile and remove the chickpea skins when you’re patting them dry
- Be sure each of the chickpeas are coated in oil before baking
- You can bake these a little longer for an even crispier, crunchy chickpeas snack
- Play around with the seasoning mixes you use – add more or less spice based on your preferences
- Store toasted chickpeas in a sealed container in the fridge. You should reheat them in a toaster oven or oven to restore their crispiness.
- Make a double batch of this oven roasted chickpeas snack and take them as an appetizer to a party, or just have them on hand as a healthy snack at home.
- Looking for a different way to make your roasted chickpeas? Try using an air fryer! Yes, Air Fryer Chickpeas are a thing and they’re nothing short of amazing!
Baked garbanzo beans are also versatile. You can use chipotle seasoning for a spicy flair, garlic and rosemary for an Italian flavor, sprinkled curry for an Indian spice-infused treat, or even try some sage/thyme to give seasoned chickpeas a good old home cooking kind of feel.
Are Roasted Chickpeas good for weight loss?
Roasting Chickpeas creates a snack that’s an excellent source of fiber. According to multiple studies noted in this Nutrition Facts article, fiber plays an important role in weight loss. Therefore, eating roasted chickpeas can increase fiber in your diet and assist in weight loss efforts.
The Health Benefits of Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Loaded with protein and fiber and lots of other good nutrients, a chickpeas recipe is something you can feel great about serving to your family any time. In addition to the many health benefits, eating chickpeas can even leave you feeling more satisfied.
That’s everything you need for roasted chickpea recipes!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 15- ounce can Chickpeas
- 1½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Easy Version: 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning or your choice of seasonings described above
- Scratch Version: 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon turmeric, and ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Heat your oven to 400 F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas and let them sit in cool water for a minute or so to release some of the sodium (That’s a tip I read in Jane Brody’s Good Food Book).
- Place chickpeas in a strainer to drain. Give that strainer a good shake to remove excess water. Spread the chickpeas out on a paper towel and pat dry. You can also just let them sit out for a few minutes to air dry. Whatever works.
- Pour the olive oil into a bowl and add the chickpeas. Stir until each chickpea is coated with oil. Place chickpeas on the prepared pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the chickpeas are crispy on the outside.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and do one of the following.
- Easy Version: Sprinkle Mrs. Dash seasoning over the roasted chickpeas. Stir until thoroughly coated.
- Scratch Version: combine the spices in a bowl. Sprinkle over roasted chickpeas, stirring until each is thoroughly coated.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.