This spicy Roasted Chickpeas recipe is a perfect snack because it’s healthy and delicious! These dry roasted chickpeas get nice and crunchy, adding some perfect texture to your healthy diet! If you’re searching for the ultimate in nutritious snacks, this oven roasted chickpeas recipe is for you! See my tips below for making them extra crispy!
I can’t believe I’m sharing a recipe for Spicy Roasted Chickpeas. Because when I was a kid I hated chickpeas. Now I’m a complete convert. In fact, I have so many recipes that use chickpeas. Everything from Green Monster Hummus, to Blondies, to Veggie Burgers. When I’m in, I’m all in!
When I was a kid, I believe we called these white legumes by their alternate name, garbanzo beans.
How to Make Roasted Chickpeas
Today’s recipe is one of my favorites because it’s so easy to make and so delicious. You could make a double batch and take them as an appetizer to a party, or just have them on hand as a healthy snack at home.
Start with a can of chickpeas. I use regular chickpeas, but you can always choose the low sodium variety.
Drain the chickpeas and transfer them to a kitchen towel or paper towels and pat them dry. Alternatively, let them sit out for several minutes to air dry.
Pour olive oil into a bowl and add the chickpeas. Stir until all the chickpeas are coated. Then place the chickpeas on a pan lined with parchment paper and bake for around 20 – 25 minutes.
Once the chickpeas are done, remove them from the oven and coat with salt and seasoning of choice. I love using Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning, but you can also make your own by combining the following: chili powder, smoked paprika, turmeric, and cumin.
Use these tips and tricks to make these roasted chickpeas perfect every time:
- You could go the extra mile and remove the chickpea skins when you’re patting them dry
- Be sure each of the chickpeas are coated in oil before baking
- You can bake these a little longer for an even crispier snack
- Play around with the seasoning mixes you use – add more or less spice based on your preferences
- Store roasted chickpeas in a sealed container in the fridge. You should reheat them in a toaster oven or oven to restore their crispiness.
Roasted Chickpeas are also versatile. You can use chipotle seasoning for a spicy flair, garlic and rosemary for an Italian flavor, sprinkled curry for an Indian spice-infused treat, or even try some sage/thyme to give them a good old home cooking kind of feel.
Are Roasted Chickpeas good for weight loss?
Chickpeas are an excellent source of fiber. According to multiple studies noted in this Nutrition Facts article, fiber plays an important role in weight loss. Therefore, eating roasted chickpeas can increase fiber in your diet and assist in weight loss efforts.
The Health Benefits of Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Loaded with protein and fiber and lots of other good nutrients, chickpeas are something you can feel great about serving to your family any time. In addition to the many health benefits, eating chickpeas can even leave you feeling more satisfied.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 15- ounce can Chickpeas
- 1½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Easy Version: 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning or your choice of seasonings described above
- Scratch Version: 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon turmeric, and ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Heat your oven to 400 F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas and let them sit in cool water for a minute or so to release some of the sodium (That’s a tip I read in Jane Brody’s Good Food Book).
- Place chickpeas in a strainer to drain. Give that strainer a good shake to remove excess water. Spread the chickpeas out on a paper towel and pat dry. You can also just let them sit out for a few minutes to air dry. Whatever works.
- Pour the olive oil into a bowl and add the chickpeas. Stir until each chickpea is coated with oil. Place chickpeas on the prepared pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the chickpeas are crispy on the outside.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and do one of the following.
- Easy Version: Sprinkle Mrs. Dash seasoning over the roasted chickpeas. Stir until thoroughly coated.
- Scratch Version: combine the spices in a bowl. Sprinkle over roasted chickpeas, stirring until each is thoroughly coated.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.