Spicy roasted chickpeas are crunchy, healthy, and delicious. This healthy treat is oven-roasted with herbs and oil, creating a crunchy texture and flavor. Crispy chickpeas add essential fiber and protein to your diet.
I can’t believe I’m sharing a recipe for spicy roasted chickpeas (also referred to as roasted garbanzo beans). Because when I was a kid, I hated chickpeas. Now I’m a complete convert. In fact, I have so many recipes that use chickpeas. Everything from Green Monster Hummus to Blondies, to Veggie Burgers. When I’m in, I’m all in!
When I was a kid, I believe we called these white legumes by their other name, garbanzo beans. Now it’s cooler to call them chickpeas.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Patting drained chickpeas until dry helps make the perfect crunchy texture after baking
- Drizzling olive oil over patted-dry chickpeas helps the seasoning to adhere to the chickpeas
- Baking the chickpeas to perfection creates a crunchy texture and infuses them with delicious seasonings.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chickpeas — You’ll need a 15-ounce can of chickpeas.
- Olive oil
- Seasoning — You can use Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning or substitute chili powder, smoked paprika, ground turmeric, and cumin.
How to Make Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Baked Chickpea snacks are a favorite because they’re easy to make and delicious. I love sharing with you how to make roasted chickpeas because it takes only a few steps. Let’s get started:
- Spread the chickpeas out on a paper towel and pat dry.
- Coat chickpeas with oil and place the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chickpeas are crispy on the outside.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and add spices.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Here are more detailed step-by-step instructions:
Step One: Drain and Dry Chickpeas
Start with a can of chickpeas. I use regular garbanzo beans, but you can also use the low sodium variety.
Drain the chickpeas and transfer them to a kitchen towel or paper towels and pat them dry. Alternatively, let them sit out for several minutes to air dry.
Step Two: Add Oil & Spices
Pour olive oil into a bowl and add the chickpeas. Stir until all the chickpeas are coated.
Combine the spices together in a bowl and sprinkle them over the chickpeas. Give them a quick stir to coat, then transfer them to a pan lined with parchment paper.
I love using Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning, but you can also make your own by combining the following: chili powder, smoked paprika, turmeric, and cumin.
Step Three: Bake
Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for around 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Store toasted chickpeas in a sealed container in the fridge. You should reheat them in a toaster oven or oven to restore their crispiness.
- You could go the extra mile and remove the chickpea skins when you’re patting them dry
- Be sure each of the chickpeas is coated in oil before baking
- You can bake these a little longer for an even crispier, crunchy chickpeas snack
- Add more or less spice based on your preferences
- Make a double batch of this oven-roasted chickpeas snack and take them as an appetizer to a party, or just have them on hand as a healthy snack at home.
- Looking for a different way to make your roasted chickpeas? Try using an air fryer! Yes, Air Fryer Chickpeas are a thing and they’re nothing short of amazing!
I made these last night minus the oil. They were fantastic ~ a new movie night snack! Thank you for this recipe!
That’s it for these spicy roasted chickpeas. Enjoy!
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 15- ounce can Chickpeas
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Easy Version: 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning or your choice of seasonings described above
- Scratch Version: 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon turmeric, and ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/204°C. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas in a strainer, shaking it to remove excess water. Spread the chickpeas out on a paper towel and pat dry. You can also just let them sit out for a few minutes to air dry.
- Pour the olive oil into a bowl and add the chickpeas. Stir until each chickpea is coated with oil.
- Easy Version: Sprinkle Mrs. Dash seasoning over the chickpeas. Stir until thoroughly coated.
- Scratch Version: combine the spices in a bowl. Sprinkle over chickpeas, stirring until each is thoroughly coated.
- Pour chickpeas on the prepared pan, spreading them out so they're not touching. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chickpeas are crispy on the outside.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before adding salt and pepper to taste.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2011 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.