This Baked Sweet Potato Tater Tots Recipe makes tots that are crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. Homemade Sweet Potato Tots recipes are easy to make and fun to enjoy as a healthy side dish.
When Adee was in her early years of high school, she couldn’t drive and usually didn’t have much money. We lived in the downtown area of our awesome city, and almost anything we could imagine doing besides going to the movies was within a two-mile radius.
Sometimes she’d go to Sonic because it was cheap, easy, and she and her friends could sit outside! Her favorite thing to order at Sonic were the slushies. On a really hot day, they would get ice-cold half-price sugar-ridden artificially-colored not-healthy super-bad I-digress slushies. Her flavor of choice was usually cherry, but sometimes she’d branch out and get blue coconut.
Now, if she happened to have more money, she’d get tater tots. If you’ve ever been to Sonic, you know that their tater tots are the best. It’s ridiculous how good they are. They’re golden, flaky, potato-y, crispy, salty, and even good without ketchup.
She wrote this:
One summer, we were “chilling” at Sonic with our slushies and I noticed on the menu that there was a new addition. And that addition was called sweet potato tater tots. Holy. Motha.
I never chose anything else while those sweet potato tots were there. Maybe they were always there, and I just missed them on the menu. These tots…. they were different. They were softer… and sweeter….
I LOVED THEM, OKAY? We had something really special.
Vegan Baked Sweet Potato Tater Tots
Here I am, five years later (oh god maybe six?), looking at the picture of our homemade Baked Sweet Potato Tots sprawled out in front of me, and I kid you not my mouth is watering.
It’s ridiculous and probably weird how much I love vegan tater tots. I say loved past-tense because I ate all those sweet tots. They’re gone. Which is also okay, because I’m remembering that fateful moment when I popped one into my mouth and my tastebuds exploded. Good times.
So if you haven’t already guessed, these Baked Sweet Potato Tater Tots are heavenly. Like, the perfect combination of the regular tots and the sweet potato. And they’re super easy! Ten ingredients or less. Seriously, perfect addition to any burger or sandwich (or even slushie:P).
Go make them, and your lives will be changgggged. This is the part where I disappear into the darkness and you’re all left mesmerized… But luckily you still have the tater tots to look at.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tater Tots
It’s oh so fun to make these baked Sweet Potato Tots! Begin by heating your oven to 375F. Next, spray a cooking sheet with vegetable spray.
Stab each sweet potato with a fork several times. Place in a microwave and cook for two minutes. The potatoes should be slightly tender at this point.
Allow the sweet potatoes to cool, then chop them into large pieces.
Place in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients except for the panko crumbs. Pulse for a few seconds until the ingredients are combined. We’re going for a rough texture here, with lots of sweet potato pieces.
Gather a handful (say a large tablespoon) of the mixture and roll into a tater tot form, roll sweet tater tots in the bread crumbs, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the mixture is gone.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the outside crust is golden. Remove from the oven. Serve warm.
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy?
The good news is that sweet potatoes are healthy. Sweet Potatoes are a great source of fiber, beta carotene (look at that lovely orange color), fiber, and a whole host of minerals and vitamins! Learn more about the health benefits of sweet potatoes!
Air Fryer Tater Tots
Want to make these sweet potato air fryer tots? Here’s how! Simply heat up your air fryer to 400°F. Spray the air fryer basket with vegetable cooking spray.
Add breaded tots to the air fryer basket on a single layer at the bottom of the basket. Do not stack tots as they may stick. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove the air fryer basket and use tongs to flip the tots. Return to the air fryer and cook for another 10 minutes or so, until crispy and brown.
Repeat this process with the rest of your uncooked tots.
Love Potato Recipes?
If you love vegan potato recipes, you’ll really want to make these dishes soon:
- This Vegan Mashed Potatoes Recipe makes you wonder why you ever used dairy in the first place!
- Four words will change your life — Air Fryer French Fries!
- Believe it or not Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls are colorful and delicious!
- This Vegan Potato Salad is the best ever!
- Make these Air Fryer Potato Wedges for the best in crispy snacks!
We hope you love these Vegan Baked Sweet Potato Tater Tots as much as we do. If you make them, take a photo and share them using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!!
Sweet Potato Tater Tots
- Heat your oven to 375F. Spray a cooking sheet with vegetable spray.
- Stab each sweet potato with a fork several times. Place in a microwave and cook for two minutes. The potatoes should be slightly tender at this point.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool, then chop them into large pieces.
- Place in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients except for the panko crumbs. Pulse for a few seconds until the ingredients are combined. We’re going for a rough texture here, with lots of sweet potato pieces.
- Portion the dough in large tablespoons (you can use a cookie dough scoop for this). Roll it into a tater tot form, roll the tot in the bread crumbs, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the mixture is gone.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the outside crust is golden. Remove from the oven. Serve warm.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.