I guess they got their name from the quick and easy way you eat them but I like these Vegan Baked Jalapeño Poppers because, well, they’re vegan! Fresh jalapeños filled with delicately flavored vegan cheese, coated with bread crumbs and baked until tender on the inside, crispy on the outside. It’s definitely a formula for what I like to call…happiness!
I remember trying my first Jalapeño Popper and loving it. That was probably about a month before I went vegan. Since most of these delicacies are made with cheese, it was bye bye little poppers!
Oh well. I soon discovered lots of good vegan eats so I didn’t miss them too much.
At least I didn’t think I had…until something happened recently to make me realize my deep-seated, unfulfilled desires.
My new friend, Krista (aka @Veganmum on Twitter) put out a challenge that I couldn’t put aside. Could the same ingredients from my recent post on Vegan Mini Cheese Balls become the filling for a Jalapeño Popper recipe?
Once the question was out there, a silent void filled Twitterville.
OK. Not really. Twitter is never silent. Right?
But my self-imposed vacuous darkness called to me. I looked nervously over my shoulder. Could I be the one? Could I fulfill this mission? And that’s when I responded to Krista. I typed the response one character at a time. Yes. I would take the challenge. I bit my lip as I looked at the words on the screen…and hoped it wasn’t a decision I would soon regret.
A quick and stealthy trip to the grocery store to get the necessary ingredients followed. I had to scurry through masses of people – dashing through the produce aisle, taking sharp turns to get all the way to the other end at the health food section. Once I safely made it out of the store and back home, it didn’t take long before I had 20 of these little Vegan Baked Jalapeño Poppers sitting before me. My mission was over. Could I say my life was complete?
Well, at least until the next vegan challenge comes along.
Vegan Jalapeño Poppers
- 10 jalapeños
- ½ container of Daiya Jalapeño Garlic Harvarti Style Wedge shredded
- ½ container dairy-free cream cheese my favorite is Tofutti’s Original Better than Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon soy milk plain…not vanilla flavored
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- ¾ cup soymilk
- ½ cup flour use gluten-free if that’s your preference
- ½ cup breadcrumbs use crushed gluten-free crackers if that’s your preference
- Warm the oven to 350 F.
- Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray
- Cut the jalapeños in half and remove seeds. If you haven’t had much experience working with these hot peppers, be forewarned you should wear gloves and be very careful about what you touch. Now is not the time to be watching Steel Magnolias and wiping your nose. Come to think of it, you wouldn’t want to do that while you’re cooking anyway.
- When you’re done, set those hot mamas aside!
- Place the vegan cream cheese and shredded vegan Daiya cheese, 1 tablespoon of soymilk, garlic powder and sea salt in a bowl and stir together until well combined.
- Stuff each halved jalapeño with the vegan cream cheese mixture.
- In a medium-to-small size bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed, nutritional yeast flakes, and 3/4 cup of soy milk and stir.
- Place the flour on one plate and the breadcrumbs on another plate. Your dipping station should go in this order: Flour plate, Flaxseed/Egg bowl, Breadcrumbs plate.
- Grab a stuffed jalapeño and roll it in the flour, followed by a dip in the Flaxseed/Egg bowl (roll it around so all sides are covered), followed by a final dip in the breadcrumbs. Fun, eh?
- Place the breaded popper on your prepared pan and repeat the dipping process until you’ve worked your way through each one. Then “pop” them in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow them to cool a little and serve warm!
If you like recipes with a little kick, you might want to check out these:
- Jalapeño Popper Cheeseball by Chef-in-training — what a great way to use Jalapeños!
- Jalapeño Popper Mac & Cheese by Kitchen Treaty — that’s macaroni and cheese with a bite!
- Check out these Vegan Jalapeño Poppers by Vegan Richa. Delicious!
- And here’s some more Vegan Jalapeño Poppers by Hell Yeah It’s Vegan. You know what I say? Hell yeah!
- If you’d like some other vegan jalapeño recipes, check out these Avocado and Jalapeño Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Whatever recipe you choose, enjoy!
We recently updated the photos for these Vegan Baked Jalapeño Poppers. Here’s a sample of one of the previous photos.
I hope you’ll agree that the new ones are much better. It’s fun to be changing and growing. We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!