This Vegan Big Mac is a copycat recipe you will love. Two all-pinto bean patties, Vegan Special Sauce, Micro Greens, Vegan Cheese, Pickles, Onions, on a Dairy-free Bun. Sung to whatever tune comes to mind. That’s right, folks. You’re looking at the Vegan Big Mac. No doubt about it! If you love vegan sandwiches, you’ve come to the right place! Check out my super popular 40 Best Vegan Sandwiches recipe roundup.
To those who only know me as Namely Marly, I have something to tell you. I have a last name. Crazy, I know. Right? And I happen to love my last name. A lot. It has personality. Grit. History. And there was a TV show named after it once. What is it? McMillen. Cool name, eh?
My dad liked it too which is why he oftentimes went by the nickname Mac. He wasn’t a small guy either so people mostly called him Big Mac. When you grow up in a small town and people call your dad Big Mac, it gives you a sense of importance. I may not have carried any social weight myself in that small town, but most everyone knew my dad…for better or for worse. Sometimes definitely for worse!
My dad was also fairly well known for eating not just one but two hamburgers in a sitting. That’s why I’m naming this sandwich, the Vegan Big Mac, after him. He would have liked it that way.
Quest for the Perfect Veggie Burger
I’ve been contemplating this Vegan Big Mac sandwich for quite awhile. I mean, how could I not. My own daughter has never even had the Big Mac at a certain golden arches restaurant. She’s never had special sauce. Can. You. Believe. It?
This was a situation that only I could fix. Talk about a sense of self importance. Sheesh!
But I’ve been on a quest to create the perfect veggie burger for this sandwich. It had to be nice and thin to accommodate two burgers in one sandwich. And it had to taste good. Darn good.
Once I discovered the Red Quinoa, I knew I was on to something.
Vegan Big Mac Attack
I created a little ditty about this burger. Do you want to hear it? Ok. Here it goes:
Two all-pinto patties
Vegan Special Sauce
On a dairy-free bun.
A little wordy, but otherwise, not too bad, eh?
You want to hear something weird? My daughter? The one who hasn’t even tried the sandwich at the golden arches? She doesn’t get this song.
How do I Make Big Mac Sauce?
The special sauce on this vegan Big ac is what helps it stand out. Of course, that’s what I thought about the Big Mac back in the days I used to eat it.
The good news is that it’s very easy to make Big Mac sauce. In fact, we used to make it when I was a kid to serve on our burgers.
All you do is combine these ingredients:
- vegan mayo
- french dressing
- sweet relish
- sliced green onions
That’s it! You can add this special sauce to any veggie burger, veggie hotdog, or even a grilled cheese sandwich! I may have been guilty of dipping a chip or two in this sauce, but please don’t tell anyone!
So this Vegan Big Mac is more than just a vegan version of something I used to eat years ago. It’s a connection between my dad, the original Big Mac in my life, and my daughter. Family and food. It’s what connects us in so many ways.
The recipe below looks a little intense, but it’s not all that bad. Make the special sauce the night before and then when you get the Pinto Bean Quinoa Patties done, you’ll be ready to assemble these guys in no time at all. I promise, it’s well worth any effort involved!
Make this Vegan Big Mac recipe TODAY! Then take a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Big Mac
For the Pinto Quinoa Patties:
- 15 oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons corn meal
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon Bragg or soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Special Sauce:
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons "french" dressing
- 3 teaspoons sweet relish
- 2 green onions (the white partfinely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Micro Greens or sprouts
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese I used Daiya Cheddar Slices
- Pickles I prefer sweet, but you can use tangy ones if you prefer
- Buns - I used a regular bun for top and bottom buns and one part of a thin bun for the middle piece
Vegan Big Mac Assembly:
- 4 dairy-free buns
- 2 thin buns such as Nature's Own Thin Sandwich Rounds
- Pinto Quinoa Patties
- Vegan Special Sauce
For the Pinto Bean Quinoa Burgers:
- Combine the pinto beans, ground flax seeds, corn starch, dried chopped onions, garlic powder, celery seeds, paprika, corn meal, nutritional yeast flakes, and Bragg (or soy saucin a food processor. Pulse for several seconds and then use a spatula to push ingredients down from the side of the bowl. Pulse again for several seconds. Repeat this process until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the cooked red quinoa and pulse again for a few seconds.
- If the mixture feels stick enough to hold together in patties, then you're ready. If it feels a little dry, go ahead and a tablespoon of water and pulse for a second or two. Add another tablespoon of water if needed.
- Place a skillet on the stove and spray with vegetable spray and turn up to medium heat. Form 8 thin patties from the Pinto Bean Quinoa mixture and cook in batches. Begin by placing however many patties your skillet can hold. On the top of the patty sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste. Allow the patties to brown, about 5 minutes. When they're ready, flip to the other side and cook for another five minutes or so until brown on both sides. Repeat until all the patios are done. I placed the cooked patties on a pan and place them in the toaster oven on low heat to keep warm while getting the rest of the burger ingredients assembled.
For the Vegan Special Sauce:
- For the special sauce: combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, stir to combine. Store in a lidded container in the fridge.
To Assemble your Vegan Big Macs:
- Place the bottom half of a bun on a plate. Place the following on the bottom bun in this order:
- Vegan special sauce,
- Micro greens (or lettuce)
- 1 slice vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 Pinto Bean Quinoa Patty
- One side of the Thin Sandwich Bun
- Micro Greens (or lettuce)
- Vegan Special Sauce
- Sliced onions
- Pinto Bean Quinoa Patty
- Top side of your dairy-free bun
- Repeat with all four Vegan Big Macs.
If you’re into trying veggie burgers, how ’bout this Red Beans & Rice Cajun Burger?
Or this Black Bean Pecan Burger
Or one of our all-time favorites, this Avocado and Jalapeño Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Whichever sandwich you choose, enjoy!