This savory Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip is easy to make and delivers a tasty, creamy appetizer to serve with chips or crackers. Best served hot, this cheesy dip is perfect for your next party or even Tuesday night ping pong! And, it’s ready to go in about a half hour with minimal ingredients!
I know this is Valentine’s Day and I’m supposed to be posting about chocolate and love but here I am telling you about Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip instead. You could call me kooky if you’d like. You wouldn’t be the first…and I doubt you’ll be the last. I agree that chocolate and love go hand-in-hand, I’m just expanding my list to include this amazing creamy vegan dip too.
In fact, I’m spending this Valentine’s Day without my sweetheart. It’s the first one we’ve missed being together since we met.
My hubby and I went to Phoenix together to visit his parents and I came back early. It seemed like a good plan at the time…until I realized we’d be missing Valentine’s Day together. And until I had to get on that 747 without him.
I like traveling with my Shawn. I need someone’s hand to hold during take-off. And I find strangers sitting next to me on the plane think it’s odd.
People just aren’t as friendly as they used to be, don’t you think?
What Works About Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip?
There’s a lot that works about this recipe, but most importantly, it reminds me of the dip I used to love before I went vegan. There’s a creaminess to this dip that is important for texture. Of course, the spinach and the artichokes are already vegan and plant-based, the trick was getting that cream right.
It took me several tries and even some adaptations over the years, but I believe this vegan spinach artichoke dip recipe delivers the right amount of garlic, cheese, and savory flavors, combined with a still easy-to-achieve recipe.
For me, the ease of a recipe can be important too. Take, for example, my vegan brats in a blanket recipe. It’s such an easy and yet satisfying recipe to make. You can also see similar processes in my Vegan Velvet Cheese Sauce. Again, it’s easy meets delicious,,,and that works.
I took this vegan spinach artichoke dip to my book reading club meeting and it was a big hit amongst my omnivorous friends too!
Vegan Hot Artichoke Dip
There’s so much flavor involved, that you could easily serve this vegan spinach artichoke dip cold. But things taste even better when you serve it hot. Whether hot or cold, I recommend serving it with crackers, but you can also use tortilla chips or even carrot sticks.
The good news is you can make this dip ahead of time and then freeze it. Take it out the day before your big event and allow it to thaw in the fridge, before heating it back up in a saucepan or in a microwave-safe container.
Non Dairy Spinach Artichoke Dip
Most spinach artichoke dips are made with dairy, but not this one. I create a thick, creamy sauce using vegan butter and flour. To that I add some nutritional yeast flakes to add a touch of cheesiness to this recipe. Next, I add vegan mozzarella. There are a number of brands to choose from these days, including Daiya, Follow Your Heart, and even Field Roast and So Delicious are getting in to the vegan cheese market these days.
If you prefer to use a non vegan cheese, you could soak some cashews (I’d say about a half cup) in water for several hours, then drain that water and pulse the soaked cashews in a food processor until smooth. Add some salt and nutritional yeast flakes to create a cheesy flavored cream sauce.
But for most, using the vegan mozzarella shreds will work just fine. It creates a nice texture to this dip that will bring you coming back for more.
We hope you love this recipe for vegan spinach artichoke dip as much as we do! If you decide to give it a try, why not snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram! We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 small chopped onion
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Bragg Amino Acids , or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 7.5 oz artichoke hearts drained
- In a saucepan, cook onions in vegan butter over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add flour and stir until a paste is formed.
- Place water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 2 - 3 minutes, until hot. Pour hot water 1 cup at a time, stirring in between until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the Bragg (or soy sauce), garlic, and nutritional yeast flakes and stir until well combined.
- Next add the vegan cheese. Stir the mixture, turn up the heat up to medium-high, and place a lid on the pot to help the cheese melt. This part will take about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Once the cheese has melted to the right consistency, add the chopped spinach and artichoke hearts. Stir to combine and place the lid back on the saucepan until the spinach has wilted.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or even sliced veggies.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can freeze this dip for up to two months.