This pinto bean soup is transformed into a simmering, delicious soup, filling your house with tantalizing aromas.It’s simple to make and full of al the smoky, savor flavors you’ve grown to love in traditional soups. Serve with cornbread or dinner rolls and with a dollop of creamy vegan sour cream and hot sauce.
I’m celebrating national soup month, so be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post (past the recipe) for links to some more awesome soup recipes.
Pinto Bean Soup Vegan
I made this pinto bean soup vegan, by adding smoke sauce to the recipe and, of course, leaving out the meat. It was an easy recipe to veganize.
In fact, pinto beans boast a lot of protein (and fiber), meaning this recipe is easily converted to vegetarian. My mom tells me that they ate a lot of beans when she was young, and in fact, they very seldom had meat, because they couldn’t afford it.
Why This Recipe Works
The first time I made this pinto bean soup, I started from scratch, with pinto beans from a bag. It was great and we loved it, but I think for a day-to-day soup that’s both delicious and easy, making this from canned beans works just fine.
Also, adding the smoke sauce and cooking with a bay leaf, really adds all the right flavors. It reminds me of the bean soup my mom used to make when we were kids, and I’m about 90 percent certain her version was not vegetarian.
I also added sliced carrots, celery, and potatoes, to add additional flavors to every bite. We loved it so much, I’ll definitely be making this pinto bean soup a repeat performance on our meal routines.
We hope you love this recipe for pinto bean soup as much as we do! If you decide to make it, be sure to take a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 large carrots , chopped
- 2 medium potatoes , chopped
- 3 15 oz pinto beans , canned (with liquid)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon smoke sauce
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Vegetarian
- 4 cups water (see notes)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Place a skillet over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and then the chopped onions, chopped celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
When the beans are potatoes are tender, add the beans (plus liquid), spices, and smoke sauce. Stir to combine.
Add the Bouillon and water. Stir to combine. Place the bay leaf on top of the broth and then cover and cook for 30 - 40 minutes.
When the soup is ready to serve, remove the bay leaf, and then spoon half into a blender of food processor and pulse. Return this back to the rest of the soup to make a thick soup. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Serve with cornbread or bread. This soup will last in the fridge in a sealed container for 4-5 days. It can be frozen for up to 2 - 3 months.
If you don't have any Better than Bouillon around, then feel free to sub vegetable broth.
National Soup Month
It’s national soup month so I’m celebrating with some of my favorite food blogging friends! What does that mean for you? You’ll get 23 awesome soup recipes to choose from! Now, not all of these recipes are vegan (and some are not even vegetarian), but just check with me if you’re interested, and I’ll see if I can create a vegan recipe for you.
So, without further ado, here are 23 tantalizing soup recipes to get your national soup month on the right track!
- Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
- White Chicken Chili by Ashlee Marie
- Easy Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Vegan Potato Soup by Vegan Hugs
- Creamy Tortellini Soup thanks to Creations by Kara
- Rosemary White Bean Soup by Well Vegan
- One-pot Vegan Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegan Lasagna Soup by Connogsorious Veg
- Chicken Fajita Soup by the Baker Upstairs
- Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup by Love and Lemons
- Red Beans and Rice
- Vegan Mushroom Soup by Bites of Wellness
- Slow Cooker Enchilada Chili by Real Mom Kitchen
- Vegetarian Enchilada Soup by the Stingy Vegan
- Minestrone and Quinoa Soup
- Curried Cauliflower Rice and Kale Soup by Cotter Crunch
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup by 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- Flu Buster Vegetable Soup by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Vegan Beefless Stew
- Instant Pot Italian Soup by Supergolden Bakes
- Vegan Hot and Sour Soup by Citron and Citronella
- Vegan Chili Mac and Cheese