This is not your mother’s chocolate cupcake recipe. Not that your mother would have anything against vegan chocolate stout cupcakes, topped with a boozy buttercream chocolate frosting and sprinkled with coconut flakes.
Sometimes I’m still surprised to see the ingredients I find myself cooking with. I guess it’s the small-town girl in me that didn’t even know what a stout was, let alone want to bake with it. But, you know, St. Patrick’s day is around the corner and I just thought this Chocolate Stout Cupcakes recipe needed to happen.
The Best Chocolate Stout Cupcakes
As said above, you’re going to love the big bold flavor of these chocolates. But there’s also a crispy crust on the top of these cupcakes with a soft, tender middle inside. Top that off with some chocolate stout frosting and sprinkled with coconut flakes and you’ve got the makings of a perfect vegan dessert!
Of course I used a big frosting star tip to create that gorgeous topping, but you can just use a butter knife to smear on a nice, thick layer. I’m a frosting person so I’d probably opt to have a bowl of frosting on the side to slather on the bottom half of the cupcake too.
But that’s just me.
Look, this dairy free chocolate stout cupcake recipe is not difficult to make. It’s basically my easy chocolate wacky cake recipe with a few adaptions. The next thing you know, you’ll be sharing these tasty morsels with your friends and shouting, “Top o’ the mahning to ya!”
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Flour — Use all-purpose flour.
- Granulated sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder + baking soda
- Vegetable oil
- Dark stout beer — Some stores will let you buy a single can.
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan butter — You can use storebought or homemade vegan butter.
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Chocolate Stout Cupcakes
- Stir together the dry ingredients from the flour to the salt.
- Mix together the vegetable oil and beer (be sure to pour the beer slowly into your measuring cup so you won’t have too much foam), and vanilla.
- Pour the flour mixture into the beer mixture while mixing on medium speed until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon the batter into cupcake papers, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
How to Make Chocolate Stout Frosting
- Cream the vegan butter and cocoa powder with a mixer, for at least one minute.
- Mix in the powdered sugar on low speed until combined and then turn it to high speed until creamy. Thean beat in the beer and vanilla.
- Add the plant-based milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach a spreadable consistency.
- Scoop the frosting into a decorator bag with a large star tip (Wilton 1M).
- Swirl frosting by starting in the middle and working your way around the cupcake.
Make Irish buttercream frosting by substituting vegan Bailey’s in place of the beer in the recipe below.
- Sprinkle flaked sea salt over the top of each cupcake.
- Top cupcakes with chocolate sprinkles
Vegan St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
Vegan Chocolate Stout Cupcakes
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup dark stout beer*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, add the vegetable oil and stout beer (be sure to pour the beer slowly into your measuring cup so you won't have too much foam), and vanilla.
- Next, pour the flour mix into the beer mixture while mixing on medium speed. Continue mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon the cake batter into cupcake papers. Fill each about 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- When done, remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
For the Chocolate Stout Frosting
- To make the chocolate frosting, cream the vegan butter and cocoa powder with a mixer, for at least one minute.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add the beer and vanilla and mix again until combined. Add the plant-based milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach a desired, spreadable consistency.
- Scoop your frosting into a decorator bag and use a large star tip. Swirl the frosting on the top of each cupcake by starting in the middle and working your way around the cupcake from there.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Whatever vegan cupcake you’re biting into, enjoy!