A simple vegan recipe that’s been around for nearly a hundred years, check out the Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake that you’ll want to make time and time again! If you’re into chocolate, you’ll love this light and fluffy cake that’s topped with a rich, indulgent, chocolate ganache-like frosting. Ready in around 35 minutes!
We are loving this Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake because it’s rich and delicious, but oh-so-easy to make. If you haven’t guessed by now, I love a good chocolate cake. For example, there’s my Vegan Chunky Monkey Cake, my Vegan Chocolate Chai Cake, and my Vegan Texas Sheet Cake. It’s all about the cake!
What is a Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake?
When my mom first started talking about Wacky Cake I was like, Wahhh??? Or, actually, I might have been a little more like, yeah, yeah, whatevs. But then one day my mom gave me her old recipe book, the one she’s been using for years! And then I started flipping through it and sure enough, there was a recipe for Wacky Cake and there it just so happens to be vegan!
I’ve done some research and see that some people call this a Depression Cake because it’s been around since the Great Depression. We’re not talking 2008 here people, we’re talking the 1920s. People didn’t always have access to milk and cream and eggs, so they made do. My mom tells me how sometimes for Christmas they’d get an orange and that was really special.
It certainly makes me look at the oranges I eat differently. We have so much to be thankful for.
Anyway, my mom and I took that recipe from her book and adapted it a little bit.
Shawn and I made a video to show you how we make it.
I couldn’t believe how easy it is to make Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake. No mixers. No exotic ingredients. No egg replacers. Just mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another bowl and then combine them together and, Eureka! You’ve got a rich, moist, and delicious Vegan Chocolate Cake!
You could also create variations of the Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake by adding:
- Chocolate chips could turn this into a Double Chocolate Cake
- Chopped Walnuts to add a little extra flavor and crunch
- Peanut Butter frosting could turn this into a Chocolate Peanut Butter Wacky Cake
Personally, a cake has to have amazing frosting to make my list, so I was sure to add this to the recipe as well. But if you want to skip that step, you can always just give it a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
Also, I used coconut oil in this Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake recipe, but you can use vegetable oil in place of that if you can’t find coconut oil.
We hope you love this Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake as much as we do. If you decide to make this cake, snap a photo and use #namelymarly on Instagram or even Snapchat (I’m @namelymarly there). We love seeing your photos!
Chocolate Wacky Cake Recipe
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar or Chocolate Frosting (see below for topping
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a round cake pan with vegetable spray. You can also place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan and spray the sides with vegetable oil.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl combine the vegetable oil, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or top with Chocolate Frosting*
There’s some other delicious vegan chocolate cakes in this world. Check these out:
- Vegan Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Ganache by Vegan Richa
- Mandy’s Vegan Chocolate Cake by Martha Stewart
- Simple Vegan Chocolate Cake by Joy the Baker
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Cake by yours truly
Whatever cake you’re polishing off, enjoy!