You’ll love this easy Vegan Vanilla Frosting recipe because it’s so creamy and it’s made with only a few ingredients. Vegan Frosting recipes have the same flavor, texture, and consistency as regular frosting. Serve this delicious frosting on your favorite cake or cupcake today!
When I’m making one of my favorite vegan cakes or vegan cupcakes, it’s always a dilemma to decide which vegan buttercream frosting to top it with. This dairy-free vanilla frosting is so smooth and creamy, it’s a favorite!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan butter — You’ll need either vegan butter or coconut oil. Vegan butter has a better consistency regardless of the temperature, whereas coconut oil frosting melts in hotter temperature. The butter should be softened, so set it out at room temperature for around 30 minutes.
- Coconut oil — I use half coconut oil and half vegan butter because it adds a buttery flavor and better consistency. However, coconut oil has lighter color. Be sure to use refined coconut oil for a more neutral flavor.
- Powdered Sugar — I recommend sifting powdered sugar before you pour it into this simple vanilla frosting recipe so you’re not left with any lumps
- Plant-based creamer — I like using a dairy-free creamer (the kinds used for coffee). You can substitute rich non-dairy milk, such as soy milk.
- Vanilla extract.
How to Make Vegan Frosting
My main goals with this vegan frosting were to make it easy and delicious! So, here are the steps to make the ultimate dairy-free frosting recipe:
- Cream the butter by mixing one medium speed for a minute.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until combined. Then add vegan creamer, one tablespoon at a time until it’s a spreadable consistency.
- Add vanilla extract and stir until combined.
Step One: Cream the Fat
How can we make a buttercream frosting without butter? Easy! We’ll be using vegan butter combined with coconut oil to have the best flavor and consistency.
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and coconut oil on medium speed until smooth. You want it to be light and fluffy before moving on to the next step.
Step Two: Add Powdered Sugar + Vegan Cream
Turn the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar until it’s mixed in.
Add vegan cream one tablespoon at a time until the desired spreadable consistency is reached. Finally, add the vanilla extract and mix one more time to combine. Your homemade vegan cake frosting is done!
Making Vanilla Icing Healthy
If you’re working to reduce sugar in your diet, there’s an option for making a sugar free vanilla frosting. Simply use Swerve Powdered Sugar which is a zero calorie sweetener. It has been shown to have reduced impact on blood sugar and will greatly reduce the carbs in this recipe!
More Vegan Cake
Looking for some vegan cake for vegan icing recipes? Top this easy vegan frosting on any of these:
I also love adding a smear of it over my vegan sugar cookies too!
Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- Beat the vegan butter and coconut oil with a mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add the creamer one tablespoon at a time until the desired spreadable consistency is reached.
- Add vanilla and mix one more time to combine.
- Store frosting in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. When you’re ready to use it, allow it to come to room temperature and maybe even add another teaspoon or two of plant-based milk until the spreadable consistency returns.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
That’s it for this dairy free buttercream icing recipe. Enjoy!