You’ll love this creamy, easy Vegan Vanilla Frosting recipe made with only a few ingredients. Vegan Frosting recipes are easy to make and full of flavor! Make this Dairy Free Frosting and you’ll wonder why you didn’t do vegan before! Serve this delicious vanilla cake frosting on your favorite cake or cupcake today!
When I’m making one of my favorite vegan cakes or vegan cupcakes, it’s always a dilemma to decide which vegan icing to top it with! Lately, this dairy free vanilla frosting has been the winner!
That’s unusual for me, because normally I lean toward chocolate. But vegan vanilla icing recipes are alluring too!
How to Make Vegan Frosting
If you’re wondering how to make vegan icing, you’ve come to the right place. In fact, one of my main goals was to make this vegan frosting easy to make plus delicious! Here are the steps to make this dairy free frosting recipe:
Step One: Cream the Butter
This is basically a dairy free buttercream frosting. That means, in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. You want the butter to be light and fluffy before moving on to the next step.
Step Two: Add Powdered Sugar + Vegan Cream
Turn the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar until it’s mixed in. It’s important to cream the butter and sugars together!
Add vegan cream one tablespoon at a time until the desired spreadable consistency is reached.
Add vanilla extract and mix one more time to combine. Your homemade vegan cake frosting is done!
This is perfect vegan cupcake frosting!
Love Vegan Cake?
Looking for some vegan cake for vegan icing recipes? Top this easy vegan frosting on any of these:
- Vegan Chunky Monkey cake is usually served with chocolate frosting, but would be amazing with vanilla non dairy frosting
- Of course, this Vegan Vanilla Cake is just waiting for this vanilla dairy free icing recipe!
- This Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake could be served with homemade vanilla icing too!
- You’d love this Vegan Blueberry Cake with some lovely vanilla frosting
- Speaking of blue, this gorgeous Blue Velvet Cake is just waiting for a thick layer of simple vegan vanilla frosting!
This vanilla cake icing recipe is a go-to favorite, but you can also try this Vegan Chocolate Frosting recipe too!
Making Vanilla Icing Healthy
If you’re working to reduce sugar in your diet, there’s an option for making a sugar free vanilla frosting. Simply use Swerve Powdered Sugar which is a zero calorie sweetener. It has been shown to have reduced impact on blood sugar and will greatly reduce the carbs in this recipe!
Expert Tips for Vegan Vanilla Frosting
Use these expert tips and tricks to make this best vegan frosting perfect every time:
- This vanilla icing recipe calls for vegan butter. I used Earth Balance buttery sticks.
- It helps if you sit the vegan butter out for about 30 minutes to soften first
- I recommend sifting powdered sugar before you pour it into this simple vanilla frosting recipe so you’re not left with any lumps
- For vegan cream, I love using vegan creamers. There are several that are nut-based and others that are coconut based
- Alternatively, you can use a creamy almond milk to make almond milk frosting
- Coconut oil works great in this easy vanilla frosting recipe, however, if it’s warm and/or humid, you should consider substituting vegetable shortening because it will hold its shape better than coconut oil, which gets soft and/or can melt in warmer temperatures. However, a coconut oil frosting has great flavor!
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese in the butter mixture to make this into a vegan cream cheese frosting.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan butter , softened
- 1/2 cup coconut oil , softened (see note)
- 3 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 3 tablespoons plant-based creamer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the vegan butter and coconut oil with a mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add the creamer one tablespoon at a time until the desired spreadable consistency is reached.
- Add vanilla and mix one more time to combine.
- Store frosting in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. When you’re ready to use it, allow it to come to room temperature and maybe even add another teaspoon or two of plant-based milk until the spreadable consistency returns.