The simplest yet tastiest sandwich, the Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich, is made with only a few ingredients and in less than 10 minutes. Be prepared to be wowed.
If you love vegan sandwiches, you’ve come to the right place. Check out my Vegan Chicken Sandwich with Avocados. Or how about my Vegan Philly Cheesesteak!
First of all, everyone’s talking about it. Even the NY Times wrote a story about the Chopped Cheese Sandwich. All I did was veganize it.
It wasn’t even that difficult to do, because of the simplicity of the ingredients involved.
Why You’ll Love the Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich
We all love a good sandwich. But the trick is creating a sandwich that doesn’t take a ton of time. This sandwich is just about as easy as they come, and yet so satisfying. All you need is a hoagie bun (or two), some vegan veggie crumbles, green onions, vegan cheddar, and some vegan mayo. That should just about do it. Of course, toasting that bun with some olive oil or vegan butter is a nice touch too.
Think of the vegan chopped cheese sandwich as a sloppy joe without the sauce.
It’s turned into a go-to sandwich when we’re in a pinch. You know those nights where you’re in a hurry and you just don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen? This vegan chopped cheese sandwich comes to the rescue every time. It’s a matter of heating up the skillet, toasting the bun, heating up the veggie crumbles, and voila! You’re ready for dinner.
I like to sprinkle the vegan cheddar shreds over the veggie crumbles while it’s heating up in the skillet. That way the heat from the skillet melts the cheese, sort of like a grilled cheese sandwich at that point.
Change the Recipe
The best part of this vegan chopped cheese sandwich is that it leaves lots of room for interpretation. You can change this recipe around in so many ways. Here are a few ideas for how you can change this recipe up:
- Make it a Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich Big Mac style by adding some of Just Mayo’s Thousand Island Dressing
- Add some chopped jalapeños to the veggie crumbles as its sautéing in the skillet
- Try adding some green or red bell peppers to the veggie crumbles
- I could see adding some sweetened mustard on the bun in addition to the ketchup
- Or, how about adding some crispy tater tots on top of the veggie crumbles. Yes!
No matter how you slice it, this Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich has potential! Lots and lots of potential.
We sure do love this Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich. We hope you do too! If you decide to make the recipe, be sure to snap a photo and share it with #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich
- 1 15 oz package veggie crumbles
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 hoagie buns dairy-free
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Place the veggie crumbles in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped green onions. Stir and cook together.
- In the meantime, place the hoagie buns in a toaster oven, for about 3 minutes, until toasted.
- Use a spatula to mold the veggie crumbles into 4 rows, about the size of your hoagie buns. Place 1 – 2 slices of cheese over each row of veggie crumbles. Once the cheese starts to melt, you’re ready.
- Add some vegan mayo to the top and bottom of each bun along with some ketchup. Then use your spatula to place one row of the vegan meat/cheese mixture on each bun. Serve warm.
If you’re into vegan cheesy sandwiches, check these out:
- Classic Philly Roast Vegan Sandwich by Zsu’s Vegan Pantry
- Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peas and Crayons
- Vegan Tomato Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Veganosity
- And what about Vegan French Dip Sandwich by yours truly!
Whatever vegan sandwich you’re noshing on, enjoy!