Celebrating something special? This chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake will make your party sing for seconds! If you’re looking for easy cookie cakes with lots of chocolate chips and a soft, buttery cookie crust, this is the one for you. Imagine it as a cookie cake pie. You definitely want a slice of that! Get this chocolate chip cookie cake recipe and make a delicious cake full of gooey chocolate chips.
I like to party. But not in the way some people think. I love having people over and celebrating fun events, like birthdays, anniversaries, and you know, random Tuesday nights!
It’s nice to have a go-to recipe that’s a real crowd pleasure. That’s where this chocolate cookie cake comes in.
How to Make a Cookie Cake from Scratch
This is an easy cookie cake recipe, because not only is it delicious, it’s also a dairy-free cookie cake. That’s right. This is a vegan version of those famous Toll House Cookie Cakes.
The first step is to combine the dairy-free butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add flaxseed, cornstarch, and vanilla and beat again.
Then in a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir this together and then combine with the butter mixture in the mixing bowl. Beat again to combine.
Then add one tablespoon of your favorite plant-based milk. I love using unsweetened almond milk, but you could use soy milk too. Add up to two tablespoons until the cookie cake dough is just spreadable.
Add some of the chocolate chips to the batter and then press the dough into a prepared cake pan. You can use a standard 8 or 9 inch cake pan, but I used a springform pan, the kind used for cheesecakes.
Add more chocolate chips to the top of the cookie dough (to make it look irresistible, and then bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Tips
Use these tips to make this cookie cake recipe perfect every time:
- Be sure to use softened butter by allowing it to sit on the counter for about 30 minutes
- Prepare your pan before you start making the cookie cake dough by generously spraying with vegetable cooking spray
- I used vegan butter. Earth Balance is a favorite and widely available
- This choc cookie cake recipe uses both baking soda and powder. I love this explanation from The Kitchn on why using baking soda and baking powder is important
- Reserve some chocolate chips to press into the top of your homemade cookie cake dough before baking. It gives the finished cake an appealing look
- Don’t overmix the batter once you combine the wet and dry ingredients
- You can serve this cookie cake without frosting
- To frost your cookie cake like I did, I used a Wilton 1m Star Piping Tip. Be sure to allow the cake to cool completely before frosting
- Add some colorful sprinkles for a party theme
- Transform this into a gluten free cookie cake by substituting gluten free baking flour for the all purpose flour
- It’s important to know how long to bake a cookie cake. I recommend 20 – 25 minutes. Make sure it doesn’t overbake. You want the crust to be a light golden brown, but the center can be a little tender. It will firm up as it cools.
Cookie Cake Pie
This would make a ultimate chocolate chip birthday cookie cake! When you slice this, cut it just like a pie!
Here are some other great vegan chocolate chip cookie recipes you can make for birthdays, holiday baking, or even just for fun: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are amazing with lots of gooey chocolate chips! These eggless Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are real show stoppers! You wouldn’t believe they’re made from a cake mix! You’ve got to try these yummy Vegan Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars for the caramel sauce alone!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 3/4 cup vegan butter , softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Optional: Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 inch round cake pan or spring form pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Combine vegan butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix with a beater on medium speed for 1 – 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add flaxseed, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Beat for another minute until combined and light.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Pour this into the bowl with the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the batter. Add almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until you achieve a spreadable consistency. Press into the prepared pan.
- Place the remaining chocolate chips on the top of the batter, pressing them in just a little. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until edges of the crust are golden.
- Optional: Decorate the edges of the cookie cake with chocolate frosting once it has cooled completely.