Celebrating something special? This chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake will make your party sing for more! If you’re looking for easy cookie cakes with lots of chocolate chips and a soft, buttery cookie crust, this is the one for you.
Add dollops of vegan chocolate frosting on top with sprinkles for added fun!
I like to party. But not in the way some people think. I love having people over and celebrating fun events, like birthdays, anniversaries, and you know, random Tuesday nights!
It’s nice to have a go-to recipe that’s a real crowd-pleaser. That’s where this chocolate cookie cake comes in. It’s based on my vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe which is a bakery-style cookie.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using brown sugar keeps this cookie cake nice and moist throughout
- Ground flaxseed is a perfect egg replacer that adds binding to the batter without adding unnecessary flavor
- Pressing reserved chocolate chips into the top of the cooke dough before baking, means lots of melty chocolate chips will show through in your cooke cake!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan butter — I oftentimes buy Earth Balance buttery sticks at the store (spreadable tub margarine does not work here), or I’ll use homemade vegan butter.
- Brown sugar — Use light, dark, or even made from scratch brown sugar.
- Ground flaxseed — You can substitute chia seeds.
- Cornstarch — We’ll add cornstarch to make this cookie cake extra soft and chewy!
- Vanilla extract
- Flour — I recommend all-purpose flour for a tender cookie cake, but you can use whole wheat pastry flour (different from whole wheat flour)
- Baking soda + baking powder — I love this explanation from The Kitchn on why using both baking soda and baking powder is important
- Chocolate chips — Here’s a guide on how to find dairy-free chocolate chips
- Plant-based milk — you can use almond milk, soy milk, or your favorite plant-based milk.
- Optional: Vegan Chocolate Frosting.
How to Make a Cookie Cake from Scratch
This is an easy cookie cake recipe, because not only is it delicious, it’s also dairy-free. That’s right. This is a vegan version of those famous Toll House Cookie Cakes.
Step One: Cream Butter + Sugar
The first step is to combine the dairy-free butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Then, add the flaxseed, cornstarch, and vanilla and beat again.
Step Two: Combine Dry Ingredients
Then in a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir this together.
Step Three: Make Cookie Dough
Pour the flour mixture in with the butter mixture. Beat again to combine.
Then add one tablespoon of your favorite plant-based milk. Add up to two tablespoons until the cookie cake dough is just spreadable. Add some of the chocolate chips to the batter.
Step Four: Press into a Pan and Bake
Press the dough into a prepared cake pan. You can use a standard 8- or 9-inch cake pan, but I used a springform pan, the kind used for cheesecakes.
Add more chocolate chips to the top of the cookie dough (to make it look irresistible), and then bake for 20–25 minutes.
Use these tips to make this cookie cake recipe perfect every time:
- You can serve this cookie cake without frosting
- To frost your cookie cake as I did, I used a Wilton 1m Star Piping Tip. Be sure to allow the cake to cool completely before frosting
- Add some colorful sprinkles for a party theme
- Transform this into a gluten-free cookie cake by substituting gluten-free baking flour for the all-purpose flour
- It’s important to know how long to bake a cookie cake. I recommend 20–25 minutes. Make sure it doesn’t overbake. You want the crust to be a light golden brown, but the center can be a little tender. It will firm up as it cools.
More Vegan Birthday Treats
I hope you love this recipe as we do. Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 3/4 cup vegan butter , softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Optional: Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan or springform pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Combine vegan butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix with a beater on medium speed for 1–2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add flaxseed, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Beat for another minute until combined and light.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Pour this into the bowl with the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the batter. Add almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until you achieve a spreadable consistency. Press into the prepared pan.
- Place the remaining chocolate chips on the top of the batter, pressing them in just a little. Bake for 20–25 minutes until edges of the crust are golden.
- Optional: Decorate the edges of the cookie cake with chocolate frosting once it has cooled completely. This frosting tip from Amazon works great.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Mentioned in this Post
Here are some other recipes mentioned in this post: