You’ll love this minty vegan grasshopper pie recipe. It features a chocolate cookie crumb crust and mounds of creamy mint pie filling. Top it with some more cookie crumbs, and you’ve got the best vegan pie ever!
I’m a big fan of mint and chocolate together. Take my vegan thin mint cookies. So delicious! But paired in this creamy pie? Well, it’s my new favorite dessert! I especially enjoy serving this pie frozen.
Grasshopper Pie Origins
The original grasshopper pie, based on the grasshopper cocktail, was created in the middle 1900s. The cocktail combined creme de menthe and creme de cacao and was a vibrant green color. People say it was that bright green color that was the inspiration for the name, grasshopper. The pie features a chocolate crust with a green mousse filling.
It can be served chilled or frozen, giving it an ice-cream like texture.
How to Make Vegan Grasshopper Pie
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Microwave marshmallows and soy milk until melted.
- Add creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and mint extract.
- Stir it together then refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Add the chilled cream to a chilled bowl and whip on low until bubbly.
- Increase speed and whip for up to 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in chilled marshmallow mixture.
- Beat in green food coloring.
- Add the filling to the cooled pie crust. Refrigerate or freeze until set.
- To serve, top with crumbled cookies and/or mini chocolate chips.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Oreo pie crust — You can use storebought or homemade vegan Oreo pie crust.
- Plant-based milk — I use soy milk, but you can substitute almond or oat milk.
- Vegetarian marshmallows — I used Dandy’s Vegetarian Marshmallows.
- Liqueur — You’ll need Creme De Menthe and Creme De Cacao. Don’t be confused by the word “creme”. It simply refers to a thicker liqueur.
- Mint extract — We’ll use just a touch of mint extract to add even more mint flavor.
- Green food coloring — I like to add a few drops of green food coloring for a bright green color to my mint pie.
- Garnish — Add some chocolate cookie crumbs or mini chocolate chips on top of your pie for a nice finishing touch.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- EASY — This pie comes together with less than 10 ingredients!
- FUN — This vibrant pie is colorful, making it a fun treat to serve in the spring, for Halloween, or even the holidays.
- CROWD-FAVORITE — Everyone loves the flavors of mint and chocolate, making this a perfect pie to serve for parties.
Is grasshopper pie vegan?
Most grasshopper pies are made with milk and possibly marshmallows. Since marshmallows are not vegetarian, traditional grasshopper pie recipes are not vegan or vegetarian. However, it’s fairly simple to make a vegan version at home.
Can you serve grasshopper pie frozen?
You can serve grasshopper pie chilled for a mouse-like texture or frozen for an ice-cream-like texture. It’s delicious either way!
Serve this vegan grasshopper pie with toppings, such as:
- Add drizzles of vegan chocolate syrup over the top
- Crumble some vegan Oreo cookies and sprinkle the crumbs on the pie
- Add mini dairy-free chocolate chips on top.
- A fresh mint sprig is a nice touch!
Cover and refrigerate the pie for up to 5 days or freeze it for up to 1 month. You can cut it into individual slices and store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Vegan Icebox Pies
An icebox pie is served chilled. In addition to this vegan grasshopper pie, you’ll love these other chilled vegan pies:
Vegan Grasshopper Pie
- 1 vegan Oreo pie crust
- ½ cup soy milk
- 10 oz bag vegan marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons Creme De Menthe Liqueur
- 2 tablespoons Creme De Cacao
- ⅙ teaspoon mint extract
- 2 to 5 drops green food coloring (more drops for more vibrant color)
- ½ cup chocolate cookie crumbs
- 17 oz container plant-based whipping cream (see notes)
- Refrigerate whipping cream at least overnight. Place mixing bowl and whipping attachments in the fridge to chill for 10 to 15 minutes.
For the Pie Crust:
- Make the pie crust and set aside to cool.
For the Grasshopper Pie Filling:
- Add marshmallows to a large microwave-safe bowl. Pour milk in with the marshmallows and cook on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir together. Cook for one minute and repeat. Stir in creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and mint extract. Then refrigerate for 10 minutes.
For the Vegan Whipped Cream:
- Add the chilled whipping cream to the chilled bowl and whip on low until bubbly. Then increase the speed and whip for up to 5 minutes until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Add the chilled marshmallow mixture to the whipping cream along with the green food coloring. Beat until it's combined.
- Add the filling to the cooled pie crust.
- Top with crumbled cookies and/or mini chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 hours or freeze for one hour before serving.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
For Vegan Whipping CreamI used Country Crock Plant Cream Heavy Whipping Cream. There are other plant-based whipping creams available, such as Rich’s dairy-free whipping cream (sold in the freezer section).
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.