Make this creamy, easy Vegan Key Lime Pie recipe today and enjoy the delights of a dairy free key lime pie recipe! This is a simple, no-bake key lime pie recipe that takes only minutes to prepare. See instructions below for making this recipe gluten free too! I love making this pie in the spring, or any time of year!
This is the best Vegan Key Lime Pie recipe and is so incredible, you may want to make TWO.
Of course, if you want to add a little variety to your vegan desserts, I happen to have a thing for pies, so you could also check out this Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie if you love sweet but tart desserts. Of course, you could never go wrong with a Chocolate Meringue Pie. And speaking of meringue, everyone loves this sweet and creamy Coconut Meringue Pie! They’re all so good.
Why this Vegan Pie Recipe Works
I grew up in a small town in Missouri. We didn’t eat a lot of key lime pie when I was a kid. But, whoever came up with the idea, I’m sure glad they did, because it’s delicious!
I’d never even heard of a key lime growing up. But I’ve learned a lot about them now. I love this description of key limes by Melissa’s Produce. Once I learned about it, I knew I had to make a key lime pie vegan!
How to thicken Vegan No Bake Key Lime Pie Filling?
In this recipe I’m using agar agar flakes to thicken the key lime pie filling. I highly recommend agar because it’s a no carb thickener that’s perfect for a vegan diet. Agar is made from red sea algae and is much more easily available than it used to be.
How to Make No Bake Vegan Key Lime Pie
It’s so easy to make this vegan key lime cheesecake. Simply follow these steps:
Step One: Prepare the Crust
To prepare the graham cracker crust, combine graham cracker crumbs with softened coconut oil. Stir these two together and then press into the bottom of a prepared pie pan. Place this in the fridge to allow the crust to set.
Step Two: Create the Lime “Jello”
To make this no-bake pie filling, we going to create a vegan jello. Here’s how to do it: combine lime zest, lime juice, water, agar flakes and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring that to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
If you’re wondering about agar flakes, it’s a jello-type thickener that’s made from sea algae. You can find it in health food stores or see the link below to buy it online.
Remove the saucepan from heat and then transfer that mixture to a bowl and put it in the fridge to cool.
Step Three: Prepare the No Bake Key Lime Pie Filling
In a food processor combine vegan cream cheese, vegan vanilla yogurt, silken tofu, and just a little bit of fresh spinach (for color). Pulse these until smooth and creamy.
Add the cooled lime jello mixture into the yogurt mixture and pulse again until smooth. Pour this filling into the cooled vegan key lime pie crust.
Step Three: Cool until Set
Place the vegan lime pie in the fridge and let it set for up to two hours before serving.
Be sure to have some vegan whipped cream handy. I love making my coconut Vegan Whipped Cream because it’s so easy and so healthy! But there are plenty of store-bought dairy-free whipped creams these days!
Finding Vegan Graham Crackers
There are a lot of accidentally vegan products available these days, but for some reason finding a vegan graham cracker can be challenging. Why? Because a lot of graham crackers include honey. Some vegans choose not to eat honey. For me, honey is just not on my radar screen. It’s as if you can look at levels of veganism and I’m completely content to be what I refer to as a Secular Vegan. I’m passionate about my veganism, just not rigid.
Anyway, there are some brands of graham crackers that do not include honey, such as the original Nabisco Graham Crackers. You can also purchase Nabisco graham cracker crusts and they are dairy free as well. Finally, I have been known to use Teddy Grahams or even vanilla Oreo Cookies in place of graham crackers too.
Light Key Lime Pie
There’s something about combining tart and sweet that cannot be denied. This eggless key lime pie is great for people with diet sensitivities too. This is also a low sugar key lime pie recipe vegan (see tips below for making it sugar free).
If you’re into crunchy crusts with a sweet and creamy filling (with a little bit of tartness to boot), you’re gonna love this easy vegetarian key lime pie.
Besides, you know I’m really into vegan pies, right? For example, there’s my super easy Vegan Peanut Butter Pie. It’s like taking a bite of love in a pie crust! 😍
Use these tips and tricks for making this healthy key lime pie recipe perfect every time:
- This recipe makes a homemade graham cracker crust, but you can buy graham cracker crusts at the store — most are egg and dairy-free (be sure to check the ingredients)
- I use vegan yogurt for this recipe, but you could transform this into a coconut key lime pie by using a can of coconut cream (like the kind sold at Trader Joe’s or Sprouts with lots of thick cream) instead. Be prepared for a more coconut flavor, but the lime and the coconut work well together. A key lime pie coconut milk infused is fabulous
- Make this into a vegan gluten free key lime pie by using gluten free graham crackers for the crust. That means a gluten free dairy free key lime pie would be great for most everyone!
- To make a vegan key lime pie avocado infused, simply add 1/2 cup mashed avocado to the food processor with the vegan cream cheese and pulse until smooth.
- Key limes are a hybrid fruit and they’re smaller than the average lime and a bit more aromatic. If you don’t have key limes in your area, use lime juice with a little bit of lemon juice added. That should give you that distinctive key lime flavor
- For vegan cream cheese, I use either Tofutti or Daiya cream cheese
- Be sure and allow this key lime pie recipe time to chill in the fridge before serving
- You’ll notice spinach leaves in the recipe, this is added for color purposes and will not flavor the pie filling
- Make this a sugar free key lime pie by substituting Swerve for the sugar in the recipe below
- To make a raw key lime pie, simply replace the crust with a nut based crust like the one on my Raw Vegan Cheesecake
- Agar agar is sold in most health food stores and online and is derived from red algae and is a perfect thickener!
You can see why this is the best vegan pie recipe!
Vegan Spring Dessert Recipes
Looking for some delicious Vegan Easter Dessert recipes? Check these out:
- Vegan Cheesecake with Blueberry Topping is a decadent and colorful dessert
- This Vegan Carrot Cake is so easy to make and a real crowd favorite!
- For a real treat, make this Vegan Vanilla Cake recipe!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Key Lime Pie
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil softened
- zest from 7 key limes
- ¼ – ½ cup key lime juice from 7 fresh key limes
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon agar agar flakes
- ¼ cup sugar
- 8 oz container vegan cream cheese
- 5.3 oz container vegan vanilla yogurt
- 10 oz container extra firm silken tofu
- 4-5 fresh spinach leaves for color, so optional
- Topping: Dairy-free Whipped Topping and Raspberries
- Spray your pie pan with vegetable spray. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and coconut oil in a bowl. Stir to combine. Press into prepared pie pan.
- Create vegan jello mix by combining the lime zest, lime juice, water, agar flakes and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil over medium to medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a minute before placing in the fridge to cool further.
- In a food processor combine the vegan cream cheese, Silk Vanilla Yogurt, silken tofu, and spinach. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Fold cooled lime jello mixture into the yogurt mixture and whip until smooth. Pour into your prepared pie crust.
- Refrigerate until set, at least one hour, preferably two.
- Serve with dairy-free cream whipped topping and fresh raspberries.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This was a sponsored post by Silk. See our full disclosure for more information.