Vegan Strawberry Pie
This vegan strawberry pie has a buttery crust filled with fresh strawberries, topped with a tasty strawberry sauce. Serve each slice with coconut whipped cream. It’s a perfect way to use all the summer fresh strawberries!
I love all the good vegan pies. But I mostly make those in the winter. That just seems like the time of year to be making pies. But a good summer pie cannot be denied! That’s one reason I love this vegan strawberry pie. It’s the best way to take advantage of summer’s full strawberry crops!
How to Make Vegan Strawberry Pie
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- Make a homemade pie crust (or vegan storebought) and blind bake until golden and crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Wash the strawberries and remove the green caps.
- Separate about 2 cups of the strawberries and use a fork or food processor to mash them, leaving some texture.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Stir in water and crushed strawberries.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until simmering (low boil).
- This mixture will thicken, then remove it from heat and add food coloring (if using).
- Dry remaining strawberries with a kitchen cloth or paper towels. Place them in the cooled pie crust.
- Spoon the strawberry sauce over the strawberries in the pie.
- Refrigerate until set and chilled, at least 2 hours.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Fresh strawberries — I used a 32-ounce container of fresh strawberries.
- Sugar — Plain sugar is all you need.
- Cornstarch — Simple cornstarch is great, but you can substitute arrowroot powder.
- Food coloring — This is optional but I like using red food coloring to make this pie vibrant. You can use organic/natural food coloring.
You can serve your pie au naturale. It’s so beautiful as is! However, if you want to gild the lily, I’m right there with you! Here are some topping ideas you might love:
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Drizzles of Vegan Ganache would be beautiful
- Sprigs of fresh green herbs, such as mint leaves or small basil leaves are a nice touch
- More Pie Crust — You can double the pie crust and create a lattice on top.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- EASY — You can make this pie in MINUTES, but it will need time in the fridge to set before serving.
- VERSATILE — Add a bit of lemon or lime zest to change up the flavors or add your favorite fresh herbs on top.
- KID-FRIENDLY — Everyone loves this dessert, including kids and even kids at heart.
Can you use frozen strawberries?
Fresh strawberries are best for this pie, but you can substitute frozen strawberries. Just be prepared that the berries will be a bit mushy and the pie will weep as it sits.
Can you freeze a pie with fresh strawberries?
You can freeze this pie but it will change the texture of the strawberries. They become mushier as they thaw out. So be prepared to eat it quickly once it thaws.
This pie is best when served fresh. To store leftover slices, transfer them to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze slices in an appropriate freezer container for up to 1 month.
Vegan Pie Favorites
We all agree this vegan strawberry pie is the bee’s knees! If you love vegan pie recipes, be sure to check out these tasty recipes:
Vegan Strawberry Pie
- 6 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch (see note)
- ½ cup water
- red food coloring (optional)
- Topping ideas: Coconut Whipped Cream, Vegan Ganache (drizzled over the top).
For the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Follow the directions to make the crust. Blind bake in a 9-inch pie pan for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. Set aside to cool.
For the Filling:
- Wash the strawberries and remove the green caps. Separate about 2 cups of the strawberries and use a fork or food processor to mash them, leaving some texture. This should equal one cup of mashed strawberries.
- Dry remaining strawberries with a dishcloth or paper towels. Set aside.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water and crushed strawberries. Cook and stir over medium heat until simmering (low boil). This mixture will thicken as it cooks. Remove it from heat and stir in food coloring (if using).
- Place dried strawberries in the cooled pie crust. Spoon the strawberry sauce over the strawberries in the pie. Use a spoon to make sure the sauce gets between the strawberries. Refrigerate the pie until set and chilled, at least 2 hours.
- This pie is best when served fresh. Serve with whipped cream and/or drizzles of vegan chocolate.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.