This best Vegan Hot Dogs recipe shows how easy and delicious vegan can be. Four different Veggie Hot Dog Toppings make this favorite summertime dish better than ever!
Make the best Vegan Hot Dog recipe your way every time with a soy Hot Dogs Bar to share with others! There’s the Totcho Dog (loaded with crispy tater tots, the TexMex Dog, The Mac and Cheese Dog, and even the French Onion Dog. This is just another of the best easy vegan recipes to make your life easier!
Having grown up eating hot dogs, I was determined to find a way to serve delicious hot dogs vegan! Come to find out, tofu hot dogs are easy to make and with the right toppings, SO delicious!
When it comes to the best veggie hot dogs, you need choices. That’s why you’ll love these oven-baked vegan hot dogs and the vegan chili dog. And it’s why today we’re sharing with you Vegan Hot Dogs Done Four Ways. See? Lots of choices.
If you’re new to vegetarian hot dogs, you may be curious what your options are. So, if you’re looking for vegan hot dog ideas, you’ll love the four topping options below.
Why not have a Vegan Hot Dog Bar at your next party? Simply grill up some vegan hotdogs (see instructions for cooking below) and then set out all the ingredients topping ingredients and let your guests mix and mach their own.
What are Vegan Hot Dog Brands?
Believe it or not, there are several brands that sell vegan hot dogs. Here are the vegan hot dog brands that we have tried (and liked)…so far:
- LightLife Smart Dogs (I prefer the jumbo)
- Check out Field Roast’s Vegan Frankfurters. They also have bite-sized corndogs too
- ToFurkey’s Jumbo Veg Hot Dogs
- Yves Jumbo Veggie Dogs
Asking yourself where to buy vegan hot dogs? You can find these meatless hotdogs in the health food departments of grocery stores, health food stores, and now, you can even find them at Costco!
These are all some great options for vegetarian hot dog brands, and believe it or not, you can even make “hot dogs” from carrots. I’ve tried it and it works. I need to share the recipe with you, and for sure that is coming, because it’s just another example of amazing plant-based food!
How to Make Vegan Hot Dogs
Here are four options for cooking vegan hotdogs: skillet, boiling, or grilling.
- Skillet — To cook your hotdogs in a skillet, heat the pan on medium heat and a little bit of oil (1/2 – 1 teaspoon). Place the veggie hotdogs in the pan and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, turning regularly.
- Boiling — Bring a pot of water to boil, add the hotdogs and remove from heat. Leave the hotdogs in the hot water for about 3 minutes, until the hotdogs are heated through.
- Microwave — Wrap hotdog with a paper towel and nuke it for up to 60 seconds at 80% power. The paper towel helps capture the steam and heats the frank up through the middle.
- Grilling — Heat up you grill and place the franks perpendicular on greased grill grates on the cooler side of the grill so they can heat through without burning.
- When grilling, spray the grill with vegetable cooking spray so the dogs won’t stick to the grates.
- Make sure not to put vegan dogs over a direct flame so you can get chargrilled taste without too much charring.
Serving it Up
Now that you’ve cooked your veggie hot dogs, it’s time to think about toppings. You can use any of the traditional hot dog toppings such as:
Of course, it’s fun to try some things beyond the traditional too. Here are four favorite topping ideas!
You’ll love all of these very best veggie dog recipe toppings! First up? The Vegan Tatcho Dog. It had to be done.
We start this party out with grilled meatless hot dogs. We place the veggie weiners in a whole wheat bun, add some cooked mini tater tots, and top it with some delicious vegan cheese. Add some chopped green onions and you’ve got a tasty feast everyone in the family will love! It’s an awesome vegetarian hot dog recipe!
Tater tots served nacho style on a hot dog! Delicious!
French Onion Dog
Grilled onions and vegan mozzarella are the stars of this tasty veggie hotdogs feast.
Grilled onions makes just about everything better, but served over a savory grilled vegan hot dog? Well, let’s just say seconds are required.
Mac and Cheese Dog
Everyone loves mac and cheese, and served on top of a hot dog it’s an undeniably delicious cheesy feast!
Top your vegan grilled hotdog with some of your favorite vegan macaroni and cheese and sit back and listen to the oohs and ahhs. Who knew tasty could be this easy!!
Tex Mex Dog
The Tex Mex cuisine combines Mexican, Spanish, and American flavors. Added to a hot dog makes it a real fiesta!
Add some black beans, corn, chopped green onions and chopped cherry tomatoes for a fresh and tasty topping to your Vegan Hot Dogs!
We began by grilling our vegan hot dogs on the grill. We have two favorite tricks to make these Vegan Dogs the best — be sure to spray the grill with vegetable cooking spray so the dogs won’t stick too much. And then get the grill good and hot, but make sure not to put the vegan dogs over a direct flame. We want to get that tasty, chargrilled taste without too much charring. 🙂
Love Vegan Grilling Recipes?
If you love to these best veggie dogs AND you love to grill, don’t be left behind because you’re vegan! Choose these awesome vegan grilling and BBQ side dish recipes:
- Grill these Vegan Chorizo Burgers for the ultimate in delicious burgers!
- Make these simple Vegan Brats Skewers today!
- Cooking Vegan Reuben Brats on the grill is a favorite!
- Make Vegan Potato Salad on the side!
- Serve this amazing Vegan Broccoli Salad too!
- Finally, you’ll for sure want some Vegan Texas Sheet Cake!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Vegan Dogs Done Four Ways! We love sharing our recipes, encouraging you to give animal-free a try. It’s way tastier (and even easier) than you could even imagine.
Four Ways to Make Vegan Hot Dogs
- 1 package of 8 vegan hot dogs
- 1 package 8 dairy-free hot dog buns
- 1 package mini tater tots cooked according to package directions
- 1 package vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- 2-3 green onions chopped
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 1 package vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- 2-3 servings Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- 15 oz can seasoned black beans drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Spray grill with vegetable cooking spray. Use a fork or tongs to place vegan hot dogs on heated grill and cook 5-10 minutes, turning to brown sides.
- You can also toast your hot dog buns on the grill as well.
- Place cooked hot dogs in buns and top with your favorite toppings as described here.
Vegan Totcho Dogs
- Add cooked mini tater tots over your hot dog, and top it with vegan cheddar cheese shreds and chopped green onions.
Vegan French Onion Dog
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-to-medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until caramelized. Spread grilled onions and vegan mozzarella over hot dogs. You may want to heat the hot dogs in a toaster oven to get the cheese to melt.
Vegan Mac and Cheese Dog
- Top your vegan hot dog with your favorite Mac and Cheese. It really is a delicious combination!
Vegan Tex Mex Dog
- Add some seasoned black beans, corn, chopped green onions and chopped tomatoes for a fresh and tasty topping to your Vegan Hot Dog. Bonus topping? How about some freshly sliced avocado or guacamole?
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This was a sponsored post. All opinions are my own. See our full disclosure for more information.