Enjoy these fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts that are baked, not fried, and coated with cinnamon sugar. These tender dairy-free donuts are dunked in melted vegan butter and drizzled with cinnamon sugar giving each bite a spicy crunch. Sure to please…make these donuts today! Video with how-to’s provided.
When I was a kid, my neighbor’s mom, Sue, used to keep a tub of margarine sitting out on the counter with a bowl of cinnamon sugar beside it. The margarine was nice and soft and a fresh piece of toast, slathered with melted butter and then coated with cinnamon sugar.
I was hooked!
That’s why these Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts hit a special chord for me. I hope they will for you too. If you love sweet, vegan breakfasts, check out my recipe for Vegan Coffee Cake or Vegan Blackberry Donuts.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
I had to make this recipe at least three or four times. Don’t you feel bad for me? Yeah, me neither. This recipe is vegan comfort food at it’s very best. I love dipping the freshly baked donut in the melted vegan butter and then sprinkling it with cinnamon sugar.
It’s good to have simple pleasures.
The taste of cinnamon sugar for breakfast? It remains one of my favorite simple pleasures.
The thing is, I’ve mentioned a few times that I’ve not always been a fan of donuts. I think it’s the combination of sugar and grease. It never set well with my stomach. To be honest, I wasn’t blessed with the best of digestion systems. I’ve received a few diagnoses, but I’ll save you the details.
Then one day I discovered the baked donut and I’ve never looked back. These Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts combine the best of so many worlds — that favorite cinnamon sugar flavor from my childhood, a ease of a baked donut, and pumpkin goodness.
Shawn and I loved this recipe so much we created this video for you!
Adapting the Recipe
You know, I haven’t seen too many recipes I don’t want to change. At least just a little. I look at a recipe as a guideline. No, to be completely honest, I look at a recipe as an invitation…to make it my own. Here are some ideas for how I would adapt this recipe:
- Replace half of the vegan butter in this recipe for peanut butter
- I have a thing for ginger, so adding some dried ginger would be so nice
- You could use coconut oil in place of the vegan butter
- Add a quarter cup of chopped coconut to the cinnamon sugar
Come on. It’s not every day someone encourages you to play with your food. Why not have some fun with it! Now, be sure to serve these Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts with something equally tasty, like my skinny tea-infused hot chocolate.
We hope you love this recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts as much as we do. If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). We LOVE seeing your photos!
Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup plant-based milk soy, almond, etc
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 2 – 3 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a regular-size donut pan with vegetable spray.
- In a bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- In a microwaveable bowl, place the vegan butter. Heat for 20 – 30 seconds, until the butter is melted. Add the pumpkin puree and plant-based milk. Stir to combine.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined (don’t over mix).
- Use a spoon or carefully pour the batter into the donut compartments, filling them generously and equally. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until the donuts are done and slightly golden on the edges.
- In the meantime, prepare the Cinnamon Sugar Topping by melting the vegan butter in one bowl. In a second bowl combine the sugar, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon spice.
- Once the donuts are done, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a minute or two. Once they’re cool enough to handle, dip the top part of each donut in the melted vegan butter, followed by a dip in the cinnamon sugar. Repeat with each donut. If you have enough melted butter and cinnamon sugar, repeat this process with the bottom half of each donut.
If you’re into vegetarian or vegan donut recipes, check these recipes out:
- Baked Apple Cider Vegan Donuts by My Darling Vegan
- Fluffy Vegan Apple Cider Donuts by Well and Full
- Baked Pumpkin Maple Mini Donuts by Knead to Cook
- Vegan Chocolate Glazed Donuts with Sprinkles by you know who!
Whatever vegan donut you’re downing, enjoy!