Craving a decadent vegan treat? Look no further than these mouthwatering Vegan Red Velvet Donuts! With their rich cocoa flavor, velvety texture, and stunning red hue, these delightful treats are sure to impress.
As a vegan food blogger, I’m always on the lookout for recipes that combine irresistible flavors with wholesome ingredients.
This vegan red velvet donut recipe is a personal favorite because it offers the perfect balance of indulgence and healthiness, making these donuts suitable for any occasion.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Flax egg: A ground flax egg is a perfect egg substitute for this recipe. You can substitute a plant-based chia seed egg.
- Vegan butter: Look for dairy-free butter alternatives such as Earth Balance or Miyoko’s Kitchen, available in the dairy-free section of most grocery stores.
- All-purpose flour: You can use all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour. For a gluten-free option, use a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
- Cocoa powder: Use natural cocoa powder for the best flavor and color.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Ensure they are fresh to achieve proper leavening.
- Granulated sugar: Organic cane sugar or coconut sugar can be used as alternatives.
- Plant-based milk: Choose your favorite plant-based milk, such as almond or soy milk, either vanilla-flavored or plain.
- Apple cider vinegar: Substitute with white vinegar if needed.
- Red food coloring: Opt for natural food coloring options like beet powder for a healthier alternative.
Buying Guide: You can find all the ingredients for these Vegan Red Velvet Donuts in the baking and dairy-free sections of most grocery stores. Look for high-quality ingredients to ensure the best results.
How to Make Vegan Red Velvet Donuts
- Prep the Ingredients: Gather all your ingredients and preheat the oven. Prepare the flax egg and set it aside.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and ground nutmeg until well combined.
- Prepare Wet Ingredients: In another bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, plant-based milk, melted vegan butter, apple cider vinegar, and prepared flax egg until smooth.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients mixture. Stir until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Fill Donut Pan: Using a spoon or piping bag, evenly distribute the batter into each compartment of the donut pan, filling them to the top.
- Bake: Place the donut pan in the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the donuts are fully cooked and slightly golden on top.
- Cool and Glaze: Remove the donuts from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for a few minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by mixing vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar, plant-based creamer, and vanilla extract until smooth. Dip each donut into the glaze, then decorate with sprinkles before the glaze sets.
- Enjoy: Once the glaze has set, serve the donuts immediately and enjoy the deliciousness!
Make it Healthier
Looking to boost the nutritional profile of these indulgent Vegan Red Velvet Donuts? Here are a few simple swaps to make this already delicious treat even healthier.
- Sugar — Replace the granulated sugar with natural sweeteners like mashed bananas or date paste for added fiber and nutrients.
- Flour — Opt for whole grain flour such as oatmeal flour or almond meal flour instead of all-purpose flour to increase the fiber content and enhance satiety.
- Glaze — Use a mixture of coconut yogurt and maple syrup for a lighter alternative to traditional frosting.
By incorporating these substitutions, you can enjoy these delectable donuts guilt-free while nourishing your body with wholesome ingredients.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- FLAVOR: The rich cocoa combined with a hint of tanginess from the vinegar creates the classic red velvet flavor profile.
- GLAZE: The creamy vegan cream cheese glaze adds a luscious and indulgent touch to each bite.
- COLORFUL: The vibrant red color makes these donuts vibrant and perfect for special occasions or celebrations.
Can I use a different type of food coloring?
Yes, you can use natural food coloring alternatives like beet powder for a healthier option. However, the color may not be as vibrant.
Can I make these donuts gluten-free?
Yes, you can use a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend as a substitute for all-purpose flour.
- For an extra boost of flavor, add a teaspoon of espresso powder to the batter.
- To easily fill the donut pan compartments, transfer the batter to a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off.
- If you don’t have a donut pan, you can make muffins using a muffin tin instead. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
How about a red velvet Valentine’s Day bar? You can serve these colorful donuts alongside several of your favorite red velvet desserts and goodies. It will be a big hit. Here are some favorites:
- Make this Vegan Red Velvet Layer Cake because it’s easy, go back for more because it’s so delicious!
- Serve these Vegan Chocolate Chip Red Velvet Cookies made with only 5 ingredients, but lots of flavor!
- Everyone loves soft and tender Plant-Based Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with creamy filling in the middle.
- Looking for a healthy option? These Red Velvet Energy Bites are made with healthy ingredients that are gluten-free and vegan!
- Serve these colorful donuts with a Pink Matcha Latte for the perfect Valentine’s Day vibe!
Store any leftover donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To freeze, wrap the donuts individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag. They can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator before serving.
Red Velvet Vegan Donuts
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons plant-based creamer (substitute plant-based milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and Pink sprinkles
For the Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Spray a donut pan with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl, prepare the flax egg and set it aside.
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, add the vegan butter. Heat in a microwave until melted, around 20 seconds. Set aside.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center.
- Add the sugar, milk, vinegar, flax egg, and food coloring. Stir to combine. (See notes for food coloring options).
- Stir the liquid mixture and the flour mixture together until combined.
- Use a spoon to evenly distribute the batter in each donut compartment, filling each to the top. This batter should fill up 6 compartments.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until the donuts are done and slightly golden colored on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
For the Glaze and Decorations:
- Stir together vegan cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl. Stir until creamy.
- Add one tablespoon of vegan creamer at a time until you achieve a desired spreadable consistency. Stir in vanilla.
- Dip each donut in your glaze and then decorate with sprinkles immediately before the icing sets.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.