These easy vegan pumpkin cookies are so soft and topped with a creamy vegan cream cheese frosting. You can’t ask for a better fall or winter cookie!
Did you know the origin of the cookie began as little cakes? Whereas a lot of cookies have evolved into more dense desserts, these vegan pumpkin cookies retain their original cake-like texture. It’s one reason they’re so enticing.
One of the first recipes I remember making as a teenager was Libby’s soft pumpkin cookies. I decided to create a vegan version and while I was at it, I simplified the ingredients a bit and added a dollop of cream cheese frosting. Voila! The best pumpkin cookies ever!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using brown sugar adds moisture and creates a perfectly soft cookie texture
- Adding pumpkin puree is a perfect egg replacer, and also adds flavor and color to these eggless pumpkin cookies
- Pumpkin pie spice adds all the right warm spiced flavors meaning every delightful cookie is so delicious
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Flour — You can use all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour (different than whole wheat flour), or you can substitute quality gluten-free flour
- Baking soda + baking powder — These two together add lift to the cookies, making them perfectly cake-like
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vegan butter — You can use storebought brands like Earth Balance or Miyokos or make your own vegan butter
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar — Use light or dark or make your own brown sugar
- Pumpkin puree
- Frosting — I use a partial batch of this vegan cream cheese frosting
My sister loves pumpkin cookies and she’s vegan so I surprised her with these. She loved them and every one else too!
Once the frosting is completely dry, transfer cookies to an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days or they can be refrigerated for up to 7 days. These cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months.
That’s it for these very best vegan pumpkin cookies. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together the dry ingredients, from the flour to the salt, in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add the vegan butter to a mixing bowl. Use either a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer to mix on medium speed until the butter is creamy. Add the sugars and mix until these are creamed together. Add the pumpkin puree and mix again until well-combined and smooth.
- Pour the flour mixture in with the pumpkin and mix until combined. This is a sticky dough, but that's why the cookies are so soft and cake-like.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop cookie dough balls roughly 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Use the bottom of a glass or dampened hands to gently press down the top of each cookie. This will help prevent the cookies from puffing up too much as they bake.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookies sit on the pan for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve these cookies as is, or add a dollop of vegan cream cheese frosting and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice on top.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2020 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.