Start your day out right with these blackberry donuts. You’ll be glad you did! I love sharing the best vegan donut recipes, so you might want to check out my Toasted Coconut Baked Donuts, too.
I love a good donut. I mean, if I’m going to spend my limited amount of calories on it, I want it to be really good! That’s one thing I love about these blackberry donuts. They take delicious to another level! These are baked donuts, so you know what that means?
Bye bye, grease!
Bye bye, upset stomach!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Adding ground nutmeg is a favorite ingredient to infuse my donuts with that donut shop flavor
- Combining baking soda with apple cider vinegar makes these donuts light and fluffy
- Adding fresh blackberries to the batter creates baked-in goodness with these donuts.
- This batch is perfectly proportioned to make 6 to 8 donuts — enough to fill up a regular-sized donut pan. It’s also enough to have around and finish up over a weekend and thereby avoid the temptation during the week. Although, this recipe could be doubled.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Ground flax seeds
- Vegan butter
- Flour — You can use all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or even gluten-free baking flour.
- Baking powder + Baking soda
- Ground nutmeg
- Granulated sugar
- Plant-based milk — Use your favorite plant-based milk, such as soy milk or almond milk.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Powdered sugar
- Coconut oil
You can add purple food coloring (red combined with blue) to add purple color to the glaze, but I prefer to use fresh blackberries, which create a lovely purple hue.
How to Make Blackberry Donuts
- Make the flax egg by combining the ground flax seeds and water.
- Stir together the dry ingredients, from the flour to the nutmeg.
- Combine the wet ingredients, including the flax egg and melted vegan butter. Stir to combine.
- Roughly chop the blackberries, leaving plenty of blackberry pieces for texture.
- Make the batter by stirring together the dry mixture and blackberries, and then incorporating the wet mixture.
- Equally distribute the batter in each donut compartment, filling each to the top.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until the donuts are done and slightly golden colored.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- Make the Blackberry Glaze by stirring together the powdered sugar and coconut oil. Add the plant-based milk, one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Coat each donut with the blackberry glaze. Serve warm.
Store donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days. You can freeze them in appropriate freezer bags or containers for up to 2 months.
Also, if you’re not into sprinkles like I am, here are some ideas to garnish your donuts:
- Sprinkle coconut flakes
- Add chopped peanuts
- Drizzle some vegan chocolate syrup over the top
- Chocolate sprinkles would look nice
- Chop up some dairy-free chocolate chips and sprinkle them over the top
Vegan Donuts Favorites
If you love great donuts, be sure to give these vegan donuts a try!
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vanilla flavored plant-based milk*
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cups blackberries
- 2 drops purple food coloring**
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 blackberries
- 1 – 3 teaspoons vanilla flavored plant-based milk*
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Spray a donut pan with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Stir. Set aside.
- In a separate small microwave-safe bowl add the vegan butter. Heat in a microwave until melted, around 20 seconds. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- In your mixing bowl add the sugar, vanilla plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, flax egg mixture, and melted vegan butter. Stir to combine.
- Roughly chop the blackberries. You want plenty of blackberries pieces to be present throughout the donuts.
- Pour flour mixture over the liquid mixture. Drop blackberry pieces over flour and gently stir until the blackberry pieces are coated. Then start incorporating the flour into the liquid mixture. Stir until combined. Add purple food coloring if using.
- Use a spoon to evenly distribute batter in each donut compartment, filling each to the top. This batter should fill up 6 compartments.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until the donuts are done and slightly golden colored on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes.
- Make the Blackberry Glaze by combining the powdered sugar and coconut oil in a bowl. Stir to combine. It will be a dry mixture. Finely chop the blackberries and add them (along with as much of the juice as you can) to the glaze mixture. Stir to combine. Add the plant-based milk, one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Coat each donut with the Blackberry Glaze. Serve warm.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
You might also want to check out these other awesome Vegan Baked Donuts:
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts with Berry Glaze by The Awesome Green
- Vegan Flaky Donuts with Berry Filling by 40 Aprons
- Mini Vegan Blueberry Cardamom Donuts by Vegan Yack Attack
Whatever donut you’re feasting on, enjoy!