My affection for this Vegan Coconut Cake goes back to my childhood when my mom would make me a more traditional version (i.e., not vegan…I don’t think vegan was a thing then) on my birthday each year. Then one year my birthday fell at a time when my mom was in the hospital and the responsibility of preparing the cake fell upon my sister, Pam. I guess I was a bit too prescriptive about what I wanted and my sister, well, how do I say this? She likes to do things her own way. So, she made the cake as I requested, but she put her own touch on it – she put purple food coloring in the cake and orange food color in the icing. The cake tasted the same as always, but it looked quite different!
Below is the recipe for my very own Marly’s Vegan Coconut Cake (sans food coloring). But before the recipe, a little tidbit about my sister’s name. The one very cool thing about her name is that her initials spelled Pam. I wonder how many people there are like this in the world? I’m sure it must be quite unique. I’ve read that having your initials spell a word can have a positive impact on a person’s life, but having your initials actually spell your name? That has to be much better.
We recently made this cake again so we could reshoot the photographs. The old photo is below the recipe. Clearly we’ve improved a lot over the years.
Oh, who am I kidding? I just wanted an excuse to make this recipe again. Oh, let be even more honest. I wanted an excuse to eat this vegan coconut cake again. See? Coconut Cake really is my favorite!
Also, you may be interested in checking out my Raspberry Zinger Gluten-Free Coconut Cake. It’s kind of awesome too.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Vegan Coconut Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy free margarine, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Vegan Fluffy Vanilla Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy free margarine or coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons soymilk
- Topping: ½ cup flaked, sweetened coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two (or three) 9-inch cake pans.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together margarine, sugar, coconut milk, vinegar, vanilla, and coconut flavoring. Cream well for 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour to creamed mixture, beating until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks.
- Cool completely. In the meantime prepare frosting. Fill and spread cake layers with frosting and garnish with coconut flakes.