These vegan baked Toasted Coconut Donuts deliver a tender donut on the inside with a crispy outer crust. Enjoy the taste of toasted coconut, just like those donuts you used to buy in a package. You know which ones I’m talking about. But this recipe is better because it makes vegan donuts that are finger-licking good!
I used to love those little packs of Hostess coconut donuts. I doubt they’re vegan, so I decided to make my own! That’s where this vegan baked coconut donuts recipe comes in. It’s now my favorite weekend indulgence!
We are definitely into healthy foods Monday through Friday. It’s one reason we start most every day with a Healthy Green Smoothie. But once the weekend comes? Watch out!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Adding ground nutmeg infuses donuts with the best donut shop flavor
- Combining baking soda with vinegar makes donuts that are oh-so light and fluffy
- This batter is proportioned to make 6 to 8 donuts — enough to fill up a regular-sized donut pan
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Coconut Oil — Use refind or unrefined coconut oil.
- Flaked Coconut — You can use sweetened or unsweetened coconut.
- Flour — All-Purpose works best here, but you can substitute Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or a 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour.
- Brown Sugar — Use light or dark or homemade brown sugar.
- Vegan Butter — You can use Earth Balance or any storebought variety or make homemade vegan butter.
- Flax Egg — You can use a flax egg or substitute a chia egg.
- Plant-Based Milk — I use soy milk, but you can use almond milk or your favorite plant-based milk.
How to make Coconut Donuts
Here are the steps to make these toasted coconut donuts:
- Stir the flax and the water together and set the mixture aside.
- Toast coconut flakes in a heated pan with oil.
- Stir together the dry ingredients from the flour to the baking powder.
Place the vegan butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 20–30 seconds.
- Stir the flax egg and plant-based milk in with the melted butter.
- Stir together the wet mixture and the flour mixture.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the toasted coconut flakes and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into a donut pan and bake.
- Dip baked donuts in topping.
- Sprinkle freshly dipped donuts with remaining toasted coconut flakes.
Store donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 or 3 days, or in the fridge for up to 10 days. They can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Here’s a video we created to show how I make pumpkin cinnamon sugar baked donuts.
- Coconut glazed donuts would be even better with some finely-chopped pecans to the batter
- I could also see a sprinkling of cinnamon in the batter, too
- What’s better than coconut combined with chocolate! That’s what I call a rhetorical question, so just add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder if you agree (and you do… right?)
- Why not add some berries to the batter, like a 1/4 cup of chopped raspberries or chopped blackberries for added color
- Make these donuts gluten-free by using gluten-free baking flour
Serve donuts with coffee, tea, or any of the following tasty beverages:
If you love these toasted coconut donuts, here are even more donut recipes you’ll love:
Baked Toasted Coconut Donuts
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Flaked Coconut
- 1 ¼ cup Flour All-Purpose
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1 tablespoon Ground Flax Seeds
- 3 tablespoons Water
- ¾ cup Plant-Based Milk Vanilla
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Plant-Based Milk Vanilla
- Heat your oven to 350°F/175°C. Spray a regular-size donut pan with vegetable spray.
- Place coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut flakes and stir until the coconut is coated. Be sure to stir frequently because the coconut will brown quickly. Cook for 5 minutes or so, until coconut is golden colored. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- In a microwaveable bowl, place the vegan butter. Heat for 20 to 30 seconds, until the butter is melted. Add the ground flax seeds, water, and plant-based milk. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the toasted coconut flakes and stir until just combined (no need to over mix).
- Use a spoon or carefully pour the batter into the donut compartments, filling them generously and equally. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until the donuts are done and slightly golden on the edges.
- In the meantime, prepare the Topping by pouring the powdered sugar into a bowl. Add the plant-based milk and stir to combine. Add more powdered sugar or milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Once the donuts are done, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for several minutes. Once they're cool enough to handle, remove from the pan, dip the top part of each donut in the icing topping, and then sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes. Repeat with each donut.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.