We had family over recently and I made this Vegan Breakfast Biscuit Casserole for breakfast the next morning. The casserole baking in the oven created a savory aroma that made its way through the house. It was a delicious way to welcome our rising guests. Don’t you love it when things work out like that! Some of our other favorite vegan breakfasts include Tofu Scramble and Chai Tea Muffins. I need to have more guests over I guess!
I love having friends or family over. And I love surprising them with something special for breakfast when they wake up. Usually that means cinnamon rolls. But for some reason, I wanted to share something with our guests that was a little more on the savory side.
What could be more savory than cheesy tofu scramble with soy sausage and biscuits on the side!
The thing is when you have family in town, you don’t want to spend the entire day in the kitchen. (Unless they’re are that kind of family.)
But I enjoy spending time with Shawn’s sister when she’s here and I don’t want to miss time talking with her. So I had a decision to make – what could I fix that would be both quick and savory?
After thinking, and then thinking some more (some good things take time), the idea of a casserole finally plopped itself in my head. I like it when that happens! And I knew it was a good idea because the idea of a Vegan Breakfast Biscuit Casserole sounded a little crazy. And I happen to think it’s good to be a little crazy sometimes.
I could tell the moment I pulled this out of the oven it was going to be a winner. And it was!
This Vegan Breakfast Biscuit Casserole was gone so quickly that I had to make it again so I could take some photos. I think the speed at which something disappears is a good gauge of its tastiness. This one scores high on the magical side of that tasty ruler!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dairy-free margarine, sliced
- 2/3 cup soy buttermilk (plain soy milk mixed with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar)
- Easy Scrambled Tofu (see recipe below)
- Veggie Sausage Crumbles
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14-18 oz container of extra firm tofu, drained (but not pressed)
- 1 cup soy milk, plain (not vanilla)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 400F. Prepare a 9 X 13 baking dish by spraying with vegetable spray.
- In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse for a second or two to combine.
- Next add the sliced margarine and soy buttermilk. Pulse again for several seconds to allow the mixture to combine.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom of the pan. You don't have to worry if there are bits of flour here and there. Just make sure it's even distributed across the bottom.
- Prepare the Easy Scrambled Tofu recipe below.
- While you're waiting for the Scrambled Tofu to cook, spread the veggie sausage crumbles evenly over the top of the biscuit layer.
- Spread the finished Scrambled Tofu evenly over the top of the sausage crumbles.
- Top with shredded vegan cheese.
- Place your dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit layer appears done and the cheese is melted. Tip: Sometimes vegan cheese may take a little bit more heat to melt. If you're finding that to be the case, you can turn the oven up to 400F for the last 5 minutes to coax that vegan cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven to cool. Serve warm.
- Spray your skillet with a little bit of vegetable spray.
- Tear the tofu into chunks and place in the skillet over medium heat.
- In a bowl processor add the soy milk, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, ground flax and cornstarch. Stir to combine.
- Pour the soy milk mixture over the tofu and use a spatula to begin breaking down the tofu pieces. I like to get them down to bite-size morsels. Make sure each piece is covered with the soy milk mixture.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until the scramble thickens.
- Salt and pepper to taste