This cheesy, healthy Avocado Kale Tofu Scramble is a perfect addition to your breakfast menu. Whether you’re grabbing a bite to go before heading out to work on Tuesday morning or serving a delicious brunch on Sunday morning, this recipe is a winner. If you love delicious vegan breakfasts, check out my Vegan Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes. Or how about my Vegan Biscuit Casserole!
Last week Shawn and I (and his parents) went to the Indian Wells Tennis tournament in Palm Springs. That’s when I found myself standing, oh, about 10 feet away from Roger Federer. I know. Can you believe it?
Of course, there was a fence between us, but it was one of those cool moments in your life that you know you’ll never forget. Then there was Djokovic playing soccer in the field nearby, and Andy Murray warming up with a TRX strap. I also saw Radwanska, Azarenka, and then there was Sam Stosur off in the distance as well.
We were in tennis heaven!
But that night I ended up violently ill. The next day I spent at the tournament health center, too weak and ill to handle attending the tournament itself. What a bummer! I went from heaven to “hospital” in a day.
Of course, this means we have to go back some day. So, on the flight home I plotted our return trip and my number one strategy will be to *avoid kiosk food at all costs*! Seriously. How can they get away with charging so much for that stuff anyway?
That’s one of the reasons I decided to whip up a batch of this Avocado, Kale and Tofu Scramble. Because, first of all, I’m in recovery mode, but second, I want a repertoire of healthy dishes that are easy to pack.
This is my favorite way of “pressing” tofu. Why do we press tofu? Because it’s packed in water, tofu can be really soggy when you first remove it. Pressing the tofu helps remove excess liquid and creates a better opportunity for you to fill it with lots of great flavors too.
What I Love About This Avocado Kale Tofu Scramble
I love starting my day with some good, healthy protein like tofu. I find that when I do, I’m less hungry the rest of the day. Adding some kale means breakfast has some greens involved and including those chunks of avocados adds healthy fats. How could this dish be any better? Well, those chopped green onions for one.
Also, I add some turmeric to this Avocado Kale Tofu Scramble to make the tofu take on that nice golden color. And you know all about the benefits of turmeric, right? Just in case you’ve been hiding under a rock, I’ll remind you that turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory. And in case you’re really behind the 8-ball, inflammation is bad. Really bad.
I like to think of it this way, turmeric is like a caped crusader and its superpower is crushing inflammation. Pretty cool, eh?
Maybe I should stop drinking so much green tea.
Are you ready to give this avocado kale tofu scramble a try? Worried about how to use tofu in your recipes? I know it took me awhile to work up the nerve to try tofu for the first time. Now I feel like a pro at working with tofu..and you can be too! Learn more about working with tofu.
I love this Avocado Kale Tofu Scramble recipe and hope you will too. Hey! I have an idea. How about if you give it a try, share a photo with me using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. It’d make my day!
Tofu Scramble with Avocado and Kale
- 15 oz package extra firm tofu
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup kale de-stemmed and chopped
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- 1 large avocado peeled and chopped
- Drain the liquid from the tofu container and remove the tofu and slice into long strips. Use paper towels or a dish cloth and weave it between the slices. Stack them and place on the counter and place something with a bit of weight on top (like a disand set aside for a few minutes. This helps remove excess liquid from the tofu. I usually will chop the rest of my ingredients while the tofu is being pressed.
- When the tofu is ready, place 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu slices and use a spatula to begin breaking it up into smaller pieces. In a small bowl add the nutritional yeast flakes, turmeric, paprika, and garlic powder and stir and stir to combine. Sprinkle over the tofu and stir so that each piece of tofu is seasoned.
- Add the kale and chopped green onions and cook until the kale has become tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped avocado and give everything a stir. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir again and serve
Check out these other great Scrambled Tofu recipes:
- Simple Scrambled Tofu Kale with Sweet Potato Fries by Fat Free Vegan
- Leo’s Scrambled Tofu by Zen Habits. Very zen, for sure!
- Fast and Easy Tofu Scramble with Tempeh Bacon by Lunchbox Bunch.
- Check out my Vegan Breakfast Biscuit Casserole with Cheesy Tofu Scramble for a great start to your day!
Whatever tofu you’re scrambling, enjoy!