This cheesy, healthy Tofu Breakfast Bowl is served with avocado and kale for a perfect healthy breakfast! Breakfast Tofu is full of protein and a great low carb start to your day! If you’re curious how to cook tofu, this tofu breakfast recipe is a perfect place to start. See my easy-to-follow instructions below.
Having tofu for breakfast is a simple way to get a high protein, plant-based meal on the table.
Whether you’re grabbing a bite to go before heading out to work on Tuesday morning or serving a delicious brunch on Sunday morning, this recipe is a winner.
If you love delicious vegan breakfasts, check out my Or how about my Vegan Biscuit Casserole! It’s a layered casserole dish that’s full of all the best flavors! There’s also my 10-minute Tofu Scramble for days when you’re in a hurry and looking for a quick go-to breakfast.
And for a complete change of pace, this vegan breakfast is sure to please: Vegan Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes.
How to Make Tofu Breakfast Bowl
It’s so easy to make this tofu breakfast bowl. Here’s the list of ingredients: extra-firm tofu, olive oil, nutritional yeast flakes, ground turmeric, garlic powder, kale, onions, and an avocado.
Step One: Press the Tofu
Tofu comes packed in water, so drain that water and then press it to remove even more liquid. This creates a firmer tofu. There are several ways to go about pressing tofu.
If you don’t have a tofu press, then slice the tofu, wrap it in a kitchen towel or paper towels, and place something heavy over the top, like a small but heavy cooking dish.
Alternatively, you can use a tofu press (see photo below) to remove excess liquid. Allow for 30 minutes for pressing tofu.
Step Two: Cook the Tofu
Once the tofu is pressed, now it’s time to create the tofu egg scramble. Begin by adding olive oil to skillet followed by sliced tofu. Cook for several minutes, until the tofu is lightly browned. Use a spatula to break the tofu into smaller pieces.
Step Three: Add Seasoning and Veggies
Finally, add the seasoning. Combine them in a bowl and then sprinkle it over the tofu and stir until all the tofu is coated. Add the green onions and kale and cook until the kale is tender.
Remove the skillet from heat and add the chopped avocados. Pour this into individual bowls and serve!
Use these tips and tricks to make this tofu breakfast bowl perfect every time:
- Use extra-firm tofu which you can find in the produce department of many grocery stores and health food stores
- Be sure to press the tofu first
- Add other veggies, like cauliflower florets for even more nutrient-rich ingredients
- I used turmeric to add just a touch of flavor and also some bright, yellow color like tofu eggs!
Are Tofu Breakfast Bowls healthy?
This tofu breakfast bowl is healthy thanks to the protein from tofu, phytonutrients from the kale, and healthy fats from both the olive oil and avocados. In addition, you’ll get a nice anti-inflammatory boost from the turmeric.
This article on the health benefits of kale should help convince you why it’s important to include it in your diet.
Tofu Breakfast Bowls are perfect for a vegan keto diet or plant-based low carb diet. Here are the nutritional estimates per serving:
Calories: 112 Carbs: 7g Protein: 3g Fiber: 4g Net Carbs: 3g
Are you ready to give this vegetarian tofu breakfast bowl recipe a try…but you’re worried about how to use tofu in your recipes?
I know it took me awhile to work up the nerve to try tofu for the first time. Now I feel like a pro at working with tofu..and you can be too! Learn more about cooking with tofu.
Love Vegan Breakfast Recipes?
If you love vegan breakfast recipes, be sure to try these:
- This Vegan Breakfast Burrito recipe is perfect for meal prepping
- Making a Vegan Breakfast Casserole is a great way to celebrate weekend guests
- A simple Scrambled Tofu is a perfect breakfast any day of the week
- Serve scrambled tofu with some Vegan Pancakes
- Get really indulgent with these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Tofu Breakfast Bowl with Kale and Avocado
- 15 oz package extra firm tofu
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup kale de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onions chopped
- 1 large avocado peeled and chopped
- Drain the liquid from the tofu container and remove the tofu and slice into long strips. Use paper towels or a dish cloth and weave it between the slices. Stack them and place on the counter and place something with a bit of weight on top (like a disand set aside for a few minutes. This helps remove excess liquid from the tofu. I usually will chop the rest of my ingredients while the tofu is being pressed.
- When the tofu is ready, place 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu slices and use a spatula to begin breaking it up into smaller pieces. In a small bowl add the nutritional yeast flakes, turmeric, paprika, and garlic powder and stir and stir to combine. Sprinkle over the tofu and stir so that each piece of tofu is seasoned.
- Add the kale and chopped green onions and cook until the kale has become tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped avocado and give everything a stir. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir again and serve
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Whatever tofu you’re scrambling, enjoy!