Make dinnertime special with this flavorful, homemade Vegan Gravy. Use this easy gravy recipe over mashed potatoes, stuffing, or for biscuits (aka, your next vegan biscuits and gravy breakfast). Of course, your Vegan Thanksgiving is not complete without this delicious and easy vegan gravy recipe. See tips below for adding mushroom. Be sure to make your meal special with the best dairy-free gravy recipe!
I used to be intimidated by making homemade gravy. Maybe because my mom always made it! And experience, as they say, is the best teacher. Once we went vegan, we just gave up gravy on the plate because I refused to make it.
It’s ridiculous really. Why should a person be scared off by something like gravy. That’s why I finally talked myself out of it and I’m so glad I did. This vegan gravy is so easy and is a perfect way to make any dinner special, especially a holiday meal like Thanksgiving.
Easy Gravy Ingredients
Let’s begin with the list of ingredients for this vegetarian gravy:
- vegan butter (aka Earth Balance)
- all-purpose flour
- nutritional yeast flakes
- vegetable broth
That’s it! You gotta love a recipe with a minimal list of ingredients. All you need is a skillet and a spatula. Of course, having a cute, little gravy boat to serve it in is nice too.
That said, I grew up in a small, rural town and we used to leave the gravy in a saucepan on the stove with a large spoon. That works too.
How to Make Vegan Gravy
Start with a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and use a spatula to break it into piece to help it melt faster.
Once the butter is melted, slowly add the flour, a tablespoon or so at a time and stir continuously. It’s the stirring part that helps prevent lumps. Allow this to thicken and form what is referred to as a roux.
Tip: If beside your best effort you’ve found yourself staring down a skillet of lumpy gravy, don’t dismay. Transfer the gravy to a food processor or blender and pulse until the lumps are gone!
Next, begin adding the vegetable broth. Again, you’ll want to add this slowly while simultaneously whisking.
Once the vegetable broth is added, add other ingredients like nutritional yeast flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
Delicious Recipes to Serve with Veg Gravy
Serve this best vegan gravy with your favorite vegan dishes, like:
- Cranberry Holiday Lentil Loaf
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes and gravy has a nice ring to it
- Vegan Stuffing
- Add some veggie sausage for biscuits for a tasty vegan Biscuits and Gravy breakfast!
If you’re an adventurous soul, you can even make your own vegan “turkey” loaf. That would be delicious with this vegetable gravy recipe!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for quick Vegan Gravy as much as we do! If you decide to make it, be sure to snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram because, you know, I love seeing your photos!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth (see note)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large skillet, cook the vegan butter over medium heat. Use a spatula to break it up into smaller pieces and cook until melted, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter while continually stirring. Cook for a few minutes until flour has completely absorbed the butter.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and slowly add the vegetable broth, one cup at a time, stirring continuously. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast flakes, pepper and salt. Stir to combine. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until gravy has thickened.
- Keep over low heat until ready to serve. Transfer gravy to a serving dish to serve immediately. Alternatively, place is a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. It can be frozen for up to 2 months. When reheating gravy, add water or broth if it gets too thick while reheating.