This easy vegan breakfast casserole recipe features layers of biscuits, sausage, tofu scramble, and cheddar cheese, all vegan! Delicious and easy-to-make vegetable breakfast casseroles are full of your breakfast favorites. You’ll love the make-ahead tips to make preparing and serving this casserole as fun for you as everyone eating it!
Serve this easy vegan gravy on the side to create a biscuits and gravy vibe to your morning!
We had family over recently and I made this veggie breakfast casserole to serve early the next morning. This casserole baking in the oven created a savory aroma that made its way through the house. I’m pleased to report that everyone loved it — even the non-vegans!
I’ve decided that easy vegan breakfast casserole recipes are the best way to welcome rising guests. Don’t you love it when things work out like that!
Another thing I love, is that it’s surprisingly easy to make this breakfast casserole vegan. I know that may sound like a stretch, that this casserole is easy, but it comes together quickly and then the rest of it is just bake time!
It’s easy to make lots of simple breakfast sweets, like cinnamon muffins or vegan chocolate croissants! But I like offering some savory options too. Of course, what could be more savory than cheesy tofu scramble with veggie sausage and biscuits!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- A flaky buttermilk crust creates the best foundation for any breakfast casserole
- Vegan sausage crumbles are a flavorful plant-based protein
- Adding vegan cheddar shreds on top creates cheesy goodness in every bite, making the most irresistible vegan breakfast ever!
Easy Vegan Breakfast Casseroles
The thing is when you’re making breakfast, you don’t want to spend the entire day in the kitchen. This is especially true if you have family in town (Unless they’re are that kind of family, then by all means tell them the recipe is complicated and takes lots of time. wink wink).
Casseroles are a great way of making an easy meal because it’s a matter of putting everything into one dish. I start this breakfast bake with a layer of biscuit crust, followed by veggie sausage, then tofu scramble and I top it all off with vegan cheddar shreds.
Then everything is baked together to seal in all the delicious flavors (and melt the cheese).
Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
If you’re looking for a cholesterol-free option for your breakfast, vegetarian breakfast casserole recipes are right up your alley. They have all the flavors you love, without that pesky cholesterol.
That said, let me clarify, the healthiness of a recipe can be viewed on a spectrum. If you were to draw a line, on the left-hand side would be things like fruit and veggies and on the other side would be things like fat-laden bacon.
So, although this vegan breakfast casserole isn’t as healthy as, say, these blueberry overnight oats, it’s definitely a healthier version of a standard breakfast casserole recipe. And you’ll love the comfort-food flavor it delivers too!
I could tell the moment I first pulled this vegan biscuit casserole out of the oven, it was going to be a winner. And it was!
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole
If you want an easy breakfast recipe that will impress everyone at the table, vegans and omnivores alike, this vegan sausage breakfast casserole will be your go-to dish! I even prepare it the night before and then put in the oven the morning of, so I get that fresh-out-of-the oven taste.
The layers in this casserole are:
- Biscuit Layer — fluffy biscuits creates the best foundation for any casserole
- Sausage Crumbles — we’ll use plant-based sausage crumbles (more on that below)
- Tofu Scramble — you’ll be surprised how much a tofu scramble tastes like scrambled eggs!
- Cheddar Cheese — my favorite cheddar shreds are either Daiya or Follow Your Heart, both of which I can usually find at my local grocery store!
For the full recipe, including ingredient quantities, scroll down to the recipe card below.
I am fascinated with the idea of making perfect biscuits. This article by Joe Sevier about The Fluffiest Biscuits Ever has some great advice on doing just that.
Step One: Make the Biscuit Layer
I decided to keep things simple with the biscuit portion of this recipe. I used a food processor to combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, I added the sliced vegan butter and soy buttermilk. Pulse again for several seconds to allow the mixture to combine.
Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom of the pan. You don’t have to worry if there are bits of flour here and there. Just make sure it’s evenly distributed across the bottom.
To make a vegan gluten free biscuit casserole, substitute gluten free baking flour in place of the all purpose flour. I prefer using Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour.
Quick Fix Tip
You can skip making the vegan biscuits layer from scratch and use a 16-ounce can of store-bought biscuits! See my Accidentally Vegan Products for vegan biscuits you can buy. There will be 8 biscuits in a can. Simply, cut the biscuits into quarters and then layer them in the bottom of the pan. This is a great time saver!
Step Two: Add Layers
Top the biscuit layer with vegan sausage crumbles, followed by a layer of tofu scramble, and finally, vegan cheddar cheese.
Step Three: Bake
Place your dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit layer appears done and the cheese is melted.
Tip: Sometimes vegan cheese may take a little bit more heat to melt. If so, turn the oven up to 425F for the last 5 minutes to coax that vegan cheese to melt.
Can I add hash browns?
If you’d like to transform this into a vegan hash brown casserole, let me just say, I get you. Potatoes are always a welcome addition around here! I love adding a layer of my air fryer potatoes in between the sausage and tofu scramble layers.
What makes this casserole vegan?
Obviously, the use of vegan sausage is a key to making this recipe vegan. However, this is also a non-dairy breakfast casserole, meaning it’s topped with vegan cheese instead of dairy cheese. In addition, we’re using a tofu scramble instead of eggs.
Tips on Veggie Sausage
You can make the veggie sausage yourself. It’s pretty easy to add my sausage spice mix (see link in the recipe) to regular veggie crumbles. But you’ll notice in that recipe that you can sprinkle that spice mix over things like sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. So, here are some ideas on that veggie sausage layer:
- Gimme Lean Veggie Sausage is delicious. I buy it at Natural Grocers, Sprouts, and sometimes the health food section of my grocery store carries it too. It’s pretty soft right out of the package, so you might want to sauté it in a skillet before sprinkling it over the biscuit layer
- Gardein Veggie Crumbles plus sausage spices would work perfectly
- Field Roast makes some very nice vegan sausage links which can be broken into pieces and used in this recipe
- You can make homemade vegan sausage crumbles using things like cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes, or quinoa with the right spices added
Love Vegan Breakfast?
If you love make-ahead vegan breakfast casseroles, here’s some more favorite vegan breakfasts for you:
- This Tofu Scramble is a savory, low carb option that’s delicious too
- We love having a bach of these Vegan Breakfast Burritos in the freezer to heat up on the spur of the moment
- Serve Vegan Chai Muffins fresh from the oven
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats are a real crowd favorite and so easy to make!
- You can make these Vegan Blueberry Muffins the night before!
- You’ll love the crumble topping on these Vegan Banana Muffins!
This meatless breakfast casserole was gone so quickly that I had to make it again so I could take some photos. I think the speed at which something disappears is a good gauge of its tastiness.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Heat your oven to 400F. Prepare a 9 X 13 baking dish by spraying with vegetable spray.
For the Biscuit Layer
- (See my note on using storebouht biscuits). In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse for a second or two to combine.
- Next add the sliced vegan butter and soy buttermilk. Pulse again for several seconds to allow the mixture to combine. If it's too crumbly, add a tablespoon or two more of plant-based milk.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom of the pan. You don’t have to worry if there are bits of flour here and there. Just make sure it’s even distributed across the bottom.
- Prepare the Easy Scrambled Tofu according to the recipe linked above.
- While you’re waiting for the Scrambled Tofu to cook, spread the veggie sausage crumbles evenly over the top of the biscuit layer.
- Optional: Add a layer of hasbrowns
- Spread the finished Scrambled Tofu evenly over the top of the sausage crumbles.
- Top with shredded vegan cheese.
- Place your dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit layer appears done and the cheese is melted. Tip: Sometimes vegan cheese may take a little bit more heat to melt. If so, turn the oven up to 425F for the last 5 minutes to coax that vegan cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven to cool. Serve warm.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Recipes Mentioned in this Post
The following recipes were mentioned in this post: