This hearty vegan breakfast casserole features layers of biscuits, sausage, scramble, and topped with cheddar cheese, all vegan! This delicious and easy-to-make casserole is full of your breakfast favorites. It comes with make-ahead tips to make preparing, serving, and eating as fun for you as everyone eating it!
We had family over recently and I made this Vegan Breakfast Casserole for breakfast the next morning. The casserole baking in the oven created a savory aroma that made its way through the house.
Vegan Breakfast Casserole was a delicious way to welcome our rising guests. Don’t you love it when things work out like that! Some of our other favorite vegan breakfasts include Tofu Scramble and Vegan Chai Muffins. I need to have more guests over I guess.
Surprising overnight guests with something special for breakfast is something I learned from my St. Louis cousins. Usually, they make things like cinnamon rolls, which I love. But it’s nice to have some easy, savory options to share with guests too.
What could be more savory than cheesy tofu scramble with veggie sausage and biscuits!
Easy Breakfast Casserole
The thing is when you have family in town, you don’t want to spend the entire day in the kitchen. (Unless they’re are that kind of family.)
Casseroles are a great way of making an easy dish because it’s a matter of putting everything into one dish. I start with a layer of biscuit crust, followed by veggie sausage, then tofu casserole and topped with vegan cheese.
Then everything is baked together to seal in all the delicious flavors (and melt the cheese).
Now, you can go ahead and buy store-bought veggie sausage. That’s what I did for this recipe. However, I happen to make my own veggie sausage from plant-based ingredients and it works!
Healthy Breakfast Casserole
If you’re looking for a cholesterol-free option for your breakfast, this vegetarian breakfast casserole is right up your alley. It has all the flavors you love, just without that pesky cholesterol.
That said, let me clarify, the healthiness of a recipe can be viewed on a spectrum. On the left-hand side of the equation would be things like fruit and veggies and on the other side would be things like fat-laden bacon.
So, although this vegan breakfast casserole isn’t as healthy as, say, a bowl of oatmeal, it’s definitely a healthier version of a breakfast casserole. And you’ll love the comfort-food flavor it delivers too!
I could tell the moment I first pulled this vegan biscuit casserole out of the oven, it was going to be a winner. And it was!
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole
If you want an easy breakfast recipe that will impress everyone at the table, vegans and omnivores alike, this Vegan Breakfast Casserole is your go-to dish! I even prepare it the night before and then put in the oven the morning of, so I get that fresh-out-of-the oven taste.
This recipe is pretty simple to make. I am fascinated with the idea of making perfect biscuits. This article by Joe Sevier about The Fluffiest Biscuits Ever has some great advice on doing just that.
I took Joe’s advice and went simple with the biscuit portion of this recipe. I used a food processor (see the photo above). Then top that with some veggie sausage.
Tips on Veggie Sausage:
You can make the veggie sausage yourself. It’s pretty easy to add my sausage spice mix (see link in the recipe) to regular veggie crumbles. But you’ll notice in that recipe that I add that spice mix with things like sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. So, here are some ideas on getting veggie sausage:
- Gimme Lean Veggie Sausage is delicious. I buy it at Natural Grocers, Sprouts, and sometimes the health food section of my grocery store carries it too. It’s pretty soft right out of the package, so you might want to sauté it in a skillet before sprinkling it over the biscuit layer
- Gardein Veggie Crumbles plus sausage spices would work perfectly
- Field Roast makes some very nice vegan sausage links which can be broken into pieces and used in this recipe
- You can make homemade sausage crumbles using things like cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes, or quinoa with the right spices added
After you add the sausage leery, top it with the tofu scramble and then cheese and then bake. Sometimes vegan cheese can be a little stubborn to melt. You can cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil to help or just turn up the heat a little in the oven.
This Vegan Breakfast Casserole was gone so quickly that I had to make it again so I could take some photos. I think the speed at which something disappears is a good gauge of its tastiness. We hope you love it too! If you make it, grab your phone and snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Breakfast Casserole
For the Vegan Breakfast Casserole:
- Heat your oven to 400F. Prepare a 9 X 13 baking dish by spraying with vegetable spray.
- In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse for a second or two to combine.
- Next add the sliced margarine and soy buttermilk. Pulse again for several seconds to allow the mixture to combine.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom of the pan. You don't have to worry if there are bits of flour here and there. Just make sure it's even distributed across the bottom.
- Prepare the Easy Scrambled Tofu according to the recipe linked above.
- While you're waiting for the Scrambled Tofu to cook, spread the veggie sausage crumbles evenly over the top of the biscuit layer.
- Spread the finished Scrambled Tofu evenly over the top of the sausage crumbles.
- Top with shredded vegan cheese.
- Place your dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit layer appears done and the cheese is melted. Tip: Sometimes vegan cheese may take a little bit more heat to melt. If so, turn the oven up to 425F for the last 5 minutes to coax that vegan cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven to cool. Serve warm.