This easy vegan breakfast casserole recipe features layers of biscuits, sausage, tofu scramble, and cheddar cheese, all vegan. Delicious and easy-to-make breakfast casseroles are full of your breakfast favorites. You’ll love the make-ahead tips to make preparing this casserole as fun for you as everyone eating it!
Serve this easy vegan gravy on the side to create a biscuits-and-gravy vibe to your morning.
We had family over recently and I made this vegan breakfast casserole to serve early the next morning. A cheesy casserole baking in the oven creates an enticing aroma throughout the whole house. Everyone loved it — even the non-vegans!
I’ve decided from this point on, a vegan breakfast casserole is the best way to welcome rising guests.
A traditional breakfast casserole includes layers like biscuits, sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheese. However, it was surprisingly easy to make the layers in this breakfast casserole vegan.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- A flaky buttermilk crust creates the best foundation for any breakfast casserole
- Vegan sausage crumbles are a flavorful plant-based protein
- Adding vegan cheddar shreds on top creates cheesy goodness in every bite, making the most irresistible vegan breakfast ever
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- All-purpose flour — Use all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour (different than whole wheat flour)
- Baking powder + Baking soda — These two create fluffiness in the biscuits
- Vegan butter — Use a favorite storebought brand like Earth Balance or homemade vegan butter
- Vegan buttermilk
- Easy Scrambled Tofu — This takes around 10 minutes to make
- Veggie Sausage Crumbles — Use store-bought sausage crumbles or bake your own
- Vegan cheddar shreds —Either Daiya or Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar shreds work great
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole
If you want an easy breakfast recipe that will impress everyone at the table, vegans, and omnivores alike, this vegan breakfast casserole will be your go-to dish. I even prepare it the night before and then put it in the oven the morning of, so I get that fresh-out-of-the-oven taste.
The layers in this casserole are:
- Biscuit Layer — fluffy biscuits creates the best foundation for any casserole
- Sausage Crumbles — we’ll use plant-based sausage crumbles (more on that below)
- Tofu Scramble — you’ll be surprised how much a tofu scramble tastes like scrambled eggs
- Cheddar Cheese — the cheese on top is the best finishing layer!
I am fascinated with the idea of making perfect biscuits. This article by Joe Sevier about The Fluffiest Biscuits Ever has some great advice on doing just that.
Step One: Make the Biscuit Layer
The biscuit layer begins with a food processor to combine the dry ingredients. Then, add the vegan butter and buttermilk. Pulse this for several seconds to allow the mixture to combine.
Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom of the pan. It’s okay if there are small bits of flour.
To make the breakfast casserole gluten-free, substitute gluten-free baking flour in place of the all-purpose flour.
Quick Fix Tip
You can skip making the vegan biscuit from scratch and use a 16-ounce can of store-bought biscuits. See these Accidentally Vegan Products for vegan biscuits to buy. There are 8 biscuits in a can. Cut the biscuits into quarters and layer them in the bottom of the pan. This is a great time saver!
Step Two: Add Layers
Top the biscuit layer with vegan sausage crumbles, followed by tofu scramble, and vegan cheddar cheese.
Step Three: Bake
Place your dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit layer appears done and the cheese is melted
Sometimes vegan cheese may take a little bit more heat to melt. If so, turn the oven up to 425F for the last 5 minutes to coax that vegan cheese to melt.
Easy Vegan Breakfast Casseroles
When making breakfast, you don’t want to spend the entire day in the kitchen. This is especially true if you have family in town (Unless they’re are that kind of family, then, by all means, tell them the recipe takes lots of time… Wink, wink).
Casseroles are a great way of making an easy meal because it consists of putting everything into one dish. Then everything is baked together to seal in all the delicious flavors.
So, although this vegan breakfast casserole isn’t as healthy as, say, these blueberry overnight oats, it’s a healthier version of a standard breakfast casserole. And you’ll love the comfort-food flavor it delivers too!
The moment I pulled this vegan breakfast casserole out of the oven, I knew it was a winner!
Can I Add Hash Browns?
If you’d like to transform this into a vegan hash brown casserole, let me just say, I get you. Potatoes are always a welcome addition around here! Add a layer of air fryer potatoes in between the sausage and tofu scramble.
What Makes this Casserole Vegan?
By using plant-based ingredients, you can make any casserole vegan. For example, you can use vegan cheddar shreds, tofu scramble, and vegan sausage crumbles for a vegan breakfast casserole.
Tips on Veggie Sausage
You can make the veggie sausage yourself. It’s pretty easy to add my sausage spice mix to store-bought veggie crumbles. But you can also sprinkle that sausage spice mix over things like diced sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. Here are ideas on the veggie sausage layer:
- Gimme Lean Veggie Sausage is delicious. I buy it at Natural Grocers, Sprouts, and sometimes the health food section of my grocery store. It’s pretty soft right out of the package, so you should sauté it in a skillet before sprinkling it over the biscuit layer.
- Gardein Veggie Crumbles plus sausage spices work perfectly.
- Field Roast makes some very nice vegan sausage links, which can be broken into pieces and used in this recipe.
- Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties — make your own at home with simple ingredients.
Love Vegan Breakfast?
If you love this make-ahead vegan breakfast casserole, here are some more favorite vegan breakfast ideas for you:
This vegan breakfast casserole was gone so quickly that I had to make it again so I could take some photos. I think the speed at which something disappears is a good gauge of its tastiness.
Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Heat your oven to 400°F. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying with vegetable spray.
For the Biscuit Layer
- (See my note on using store-bought biscuits). In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse for a second or two to combine.
- Next, add the sliced vegan butter and soy buttermilk. Pulse again for several seconds to allow the mixture to combine. If it's too crumbly, add a tablespoon or two more of plant-based milk.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom of the pan. You don't have to worry if there are bits of flour here and there. Just make sure it's evenly distributed across the bottom.
- Prepare the Easy Scrambled Tofu according to the recipe linked above.
- While you're waiting for the Scrambled Tofu to cook, spread the veggie sausage crumbles evenly over the top of the biscuit layer.
- Optional: Add a layer of hashbrowns
- Spread the finished Scrambled Tofu evenly over the top of the sausage crumbles.
- Top with shredded vegan cheese.
- Place your dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit layer appears done and the cheese is melted. Tip: Sometimes vegan cheese may take a little bit more heat to melt. If so, turn the oven up to 425°F for the last 5 minutes to coax that vegan cheese to melt.
- Remove from the oven to cool. Serve warm.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This recipe for vegan breakfast casserole was originally published in 2013 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.