I’m about to share with you the world’s best brownies, vegan or not. If you have any doubts about it, ask my friend Bob, because that’s what he said, “These are the best brownies in the world.” And he’s not a vegan so that’s why I threw in the “vegan or not” part. Best. Brownies. Ever! Don’t you love it when people eat your food and they say things like that? Makes me want to jump in the air and click my heals together in happiness. But, then again, maybe I’ll just have another brownie instead. So, without further ado, may I present to you Better Than Crack Vegan Brownies!
I had several taste testers for this recipe, one being my daughter’s boyfriend, Trevor. He’s a thoughtful fellow and when he tried his first bite I was hoping for the same reaction that I received from Bob. Trevor opened his mouth, took a bite, chewed a bit, and then furrowed his eyebrows together. Uh-oh. That spells trouble in River City!
“So, you don’t like the brownies?” I said to him.
“No, I like them,” he said.
“Oh good. So, why the serious look?”
“Well, I was just wondering. How do you know?”
“How do I know what?”
“How do you know they’re better than crack?”
I stood there a moment, mouth open ready to answer, but no words coming out. I’m sure it came across as a “deer in the headlights look.” If I said that I hadn’t had crack, which is actually the case, then my naming them as such would seem, I don’t know, disingenuous.
Finally, I said, “Well, I did grow up in a small town…”
We laughed and ate more brownies…which, by the way, are seriously good.
They start out just like every other brownie. Nothing to look at here folks, just keep scrolling.
And then this happens. What is this exactly? Well, it’s my favorite melted chocolate coconut mixture that spreads like a layer of silk over the brownie layer.
Why do I say thinks like “layer of silk”? It’s not as if we eat silk, right? But it sure sounds yummy when it comes to food.
Isn’t that a thing of beauty? But, I’m not done yet. Not by a long shot!
That’s because next is coming something near and dear to my heart…peanut butter!
Seriously, people? I rue the day when peanut butter was invented. I’m certain I’d be a skinnier than a swimsuit model if this stuff wasn’t around.
I blame Jimmy Carter for this. He invented peanut butter. Right?
And just in case you were wondering if peanuts were actually involved in this recipe…
Mystery solved! There are definitely peanuts in Better Than Crack Brownies. Sheesh! I will sleep better tonight knowing this!
What’s better is this delicious peanut butter sauce topped with peanuts sets the stage for the next layer. You’re not going to believe it when you see it! Hold your hats, because here it comes!
Holy Cow! No wonder these brownies are so good. Anything that involves peanut butter and Oreos is right up my alley.
Shouldn’t this thing be stopping soon? Well, sorry, but this train has left the tracks and it’s just now gathering steam!
The next and final layer is the icing on the cake. Well, actually it’s the topping on a seriously good brownie, but you know what I mean.
And there you have it, Better Than Crack Vegan Brownies. I don’t typically share this many photos, but you know what we say in Missouri?
The proof is in the pudding. I mean, words are just words. There’s a scientist who once said it even better.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. — Marcello Truzzi
By the way, I’m pretty sure Dr. Truzzi was not thinking of brownies when he made this statement, but I’m quoting him nonetheless.
So there you have it, the best vegan brownie in the world…according to Bob and other taste testers in my house…and hopefully you someday soon!
[Note: It’s hard to know where recipes like this originate, but I give credit to the lovely Jessica at How Sweet Eats for her online version of this brownie recipe. I took inspiration from her recipe, including veganizing it.]
Vegan Better than Crack Brownies
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup soy milk or other dairy free
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa
Dark Chocolate Coconut Silk
- ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
Peanut Butter Swirl
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free milk soy, almond or your favorite
Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping
- 1½ cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cups rice crispies cereal
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 20 Oreos or smashed between your fingers!, roughly chopped
For the Brownie Base:
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a 9X13 cake pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
- Place the margarine, peanut butter and chocolate chips in a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave for one minute. Remove and stir. Repeat in 30 second increments until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, soy milk, apple cider vinegar, flax meal, and corn starch. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour and cocoa. Stir to combine. Pour the dry ingredients into the margarine mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour the Brownie batter into your prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
For the Dark Chocolate Coconut Silk:
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Repeat in 11 second increments until the chocolate is melted.
For the Peanut Butter Swirl:
- Combine the peanut butter and powdered sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the soy milk one tablespoon at a time and stir until well combined.
- For the Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping
- Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and coconut oil in a large microwave-safe bowl. Stir to combine and then place in the microwave and cook for 1 minutes. Remove and stir. Repeat in 11 second increments until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the rice crispy cereal and stir gently until all the cereal is coated.
To Assemble Your Better Than Crack Vegan Brownies:
- Make the brownies as directed above.
- Once the brownies are done, remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool slightly before proceeding.
- Pour the Dark Chocolate Silk over the slightly cooled brownies, distributing evenly. You may need a spatula to help you spread this evenly across the brownies.
- Next place dollops of the Peanut Butter Swirl over the Chocolate Silk. Use your spatula to spread this as much as possible evenly across the brownies. My goal is to make sure each bite gets some peanut butter goodness in it.
- Cover the Peanut Butter swirl with the ½ cup of salted peanuts.
- Next, add a layer of the roughly chopped Oreo cookies.
- Gently spread the Crisp Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping across the brownies as the final layer. Allow the brownies to set before serving.
I would like to say “enjoy” but then I think…how could you not!