These magic brownie bars feature a rich, fudgy brownies layer topped with creamy coconut, chocolate chips, and nuts. It really is the best indulgent recipe ever!
The brownie base is rich and decadent. Then there’s a layer of something divine. Silky. Smooth. Sweet, syrupy condensed almond milk infused with coconut flakes. Flaky. Flavorful.
You know we can’t end things there. Because to remind us of where we started, we’ll end with a chorus of more chocolate. Gooey. Rich. Dark chocolate chips And finally. Finally. You arrive at the walnuts. Just a hint in each bite. Crunchy. Nutty. Complete.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Melted chocolate chips are added to the brownie base to create a rich, indulgent, and moist brownie
- Using almond milk to create a sweetened condensed milk makes this recipe so easy to make and the almond milk adds a hint of favor too.
- Pre-baking the brownies helps create a firmer brownie that’s still moist and delicious in every bite!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan Butter — Use storebought or make your own vegan butter
- Chocolate Chips — I recommend using dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flax Egg — Making a flax egg is very simple. Substitute a chia egg.
- Plant-based milk — Use soy, almond, or your favorite plant-based milk.
- Brown sugar — Use dark, light, or homemade brown sugar.
- Cocoa powder — I recommend using natural cocoa powder.
- Flour — You can use all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour (different than whole wheat flour).
- Granulated sugar
- Coconut flakes
- Walnuts — You’ll need about one-half cup of chopped walnuts or pecans.
How to Make Coconut Brownies
It’s pretty easy to make these coconut topped brownies. Here are the steps.
- Make a flax egg and set it aside.
- Melt chocolate chips and vegan butter in the microwave and stir together.
- Stir in the flax egg, vanilla, plant-based milk, and brown sugar.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Then stir it into the chocolate mixture.
- Spread the brownie batter into a prepared baking pan and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Make the sweetened almond condensed milk by stirring the almond milk, cornstarch, and sugar in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about a minute and stir. Repeat this until the mixture has thickened. Then stir in the vanilla and set aside to cool.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and top with the condensed milk, followed by coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and chopped walnuts.
- Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Then remove from the oven and cool for 15 to 20 minutes. These bars will firm up as they cool. You can even refrigerate them for an hour to create firmer slices.
Store cooled brownies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days. They can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
More Vegan Brownies
These magic brownie bars leave you begging for more tasty brownie recipes! That’s why we created even more:
That’s it for these magic brownie bars!
Magic Brownie Bars
Sweetened Condensed Almond Milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- Heat your oven to 350F and spray the bottom of an 9 inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl combine the chocolate chips and vegan butter. Heat for about 30 seconds until the chocolate begins to melt. Stir and return to the microwave for another 15 seconds. Stir and repeat until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the flax egg, vanilla, plant-based milk, and brown sugar. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour and salt. Pour the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and stir until just combined. You don’t want to overmix this step.
- Spread the brownie layer into your prepared baking pan. Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your Sweetened Almond Condensed Milk by combing the almond milk, corn starch, and sugar in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Stir until there aren’t any lumps from the corn starch. Microwave for about a minute and stir. Repeat this until the mixture is nice and thick, usually about 3 minutes. Then add the vanilla and give it one more stir to combine. Set aside until the brownies are ready.
- After 15 minutes of baking, remove the brownies from the oven, top with the Sweetened Almond Condensed Milk, and top that with the coconut, chocolate chips, and chopped walnuts. Return the brownies to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool before serving.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Whatever coconut fudge brownies bars you’re conjuring up, enjoy!