Try this DELICIOUS Double Chocolate Biscotti Recipe for the best crunchy breakfast cookie! Serve these cookies with some hot cocoa, tea, or coffee. You’ll be delighted at how tasty this vegan biscotti recipe is dipped in a hot beverage. This is the best biscotti recipe ever! Why? Because it’s DOUBLE chocolate and vegan (made without eggs or dairy)!
I’m not much of a coffee drinker so the biscotti is a late-life love affair for me. Other than chewing on my daughter’s teething biscuits, I’ve never been a fan of the hard cookie.
Soft and Chewy should have been my middle name. But then again, I’m glad my mom went with Adele instead.
Oreos have the crispy outer cookie that gets me every time, so I thought, why not give a vegan biscotti a try? So, here I am, trying new tricks with this Double Chocolate Biscotti.
You don’t have to drink coffee to love dipping cookies. Soy milk is a great cup in which you can dip a variety of cookies, including a biscotti chocolate infused! And now I’ve learned to add a little soy milk to my tea which now makes tea a very dippable drink.
Dippable drinks are important!
And one thing I like about vegan biscotti recipes? It’s completely permissible for it to be a little lower in sugar than your typical cookie.
I think that means you can eat more. At least that’s the way I like to think about it.
What is Biscotti?
A biscotti is an Italian cookie that means twice baked. This process creates a very crisp cookie. The double baking process was used as a form of preservation — to keep the cookies intact for long trips. Now, biscottis are made with a variety of ingredients and served as a delicacy!
How to Make Chocolate Biscotti
It’s easy to make this delectable biscotti recipe chocolate! Start with heating your oven to 375F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
Step One: Cream Together the Wet Ingredients
With this recipe for chocolate biscotti, begin by combining the butter, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer and beat on high for 1 minute or so until light and creamy.
Step Two: Add Vegan Egg Replacer
The vegan egg replacer for this recipe consists of ground flaxseed, cornstarch, plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. To make this, move the butter mixture to one side of the bowl. In the other side pour the egg replacer ingredients. Stir to allow these ingredients to combine.
Then use the mixer to combine the ground flax mixture in with the rest of your batter.
Step Three: Flour Mixture
Next, stir together the flour and the cocoa powder. Then, add the flour/cocoa mixture, one-half cup at a time and use your mixer to combine. If the dough gets too thick, you may want to switch to a spoon for stirring. Stir in the chocolate chips.
That’s right. These is actually a chocolate chip biscotti recipe. You will love the tender bites of chocolate chips in the middle of these crispy cookies!
Step Four: Shape and Bake
The main time involved with this easy biscotti recipe is in the baking. That’s because we want the biscotti cookies to be nice and crisp.
So, to achieve that, create two balls from the dough, placing one on each prepared pan. Use your hands to shape each one into a rectangle measuring approximately 11X4 inches. Sprinkle the top of each with a little bit of granulated sugar.
Place both pans in the heated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven and allow the biscotti loaves to cool about 10 minutes.
Reduce your oven to 300F and place the loaves on a cutting board and use a serrated knife to slice the loaves into approximately ½-inch slices. Place these slices back on the prepared pans and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the slices over and bake for another 10 minutes.
After the eggless biscotti are done, place them on a wire rack to cool completely. Place in an air-tight container for storage.
The thing I’ve come to love about this Double Chocolate Biscotti is that it’s nice and crispy through and through, but the chocolate chips add just a touch of tenderness.
Having tenderness surrounded by a bunch of crispy just makes it all the more pleasurable. Like I say, chocolate biscotti cookies are easy to make and it’s a perfect way to start the day.
Oh, and one more thing. I highly recommend making this dark chocolate biscotti the night before because the baking time does take a bit longer than some recipes. Bake these the night before and wake up to some delicious, dark, double chocolate biscotti!
Love Vegan Cookie Recipes?
If you love vegan cookie recipes, be sure and try these:
- Everyone loves these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- These Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are amazing!
- Of course, you can never go wrong with the classic Vegan No Bake Cookies
- And for a real change of pace, be sure to try these Chocolate Energy Balls. So nutritious!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Double Chocolate Biscotti
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the butter, sugar, baking powder and baking soda and using an electric mixer, beat on high until light and creamy, about a minute.
- Move the butter mixture to one side of the bowl. In the other side pour the ground flaxseed, cornstarch, milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir to allow these ingredients to combine. Then use the mixer to combine the flaxseed mixture with the rest of your batter.
- Stir together the flour and cocoa powder. Add the flour/cocoa mixutre, one-half cup at a time and use your mixer to combine. If the dough gets too thick, use a spoon to stir. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Create two balls from the dough, placing one in each prepared pan. Use your hands to shape each one into a rectangle measuring approximately 11X4. Sprinkle each with a little bit of sugar.
- Place both pans in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven and allow the biscotti loaves to cool about 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 300F and place the loaves on a cutting board and use a serrated knife to slice the loaves into approximately ½-inch slices. Place these slices back on the prepared pans and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the slices over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- After the biscotti are done, place them on a wire rack to cool completely. Place in an air-tight container for storage.