This Easy Vegan Corn Casserole is a cheesy cornbread dish, sure to please any dinner crowd and the cook too because it’s so easy to make! If you’re looking for a NO-fail, SIX- ingredient corn casserole recipe that’s dairy-free, look no more. This corn casserole is a savory side dish that goes perfectly with any meal.
I’ve always been a fan of corn. When I was a kid I used to melt cheese over corn and eat it in a bowl. I know. It borders on obsessive. This recipe for Easy Vegan Corn Casserole, is sort of a grown-up version of that childhood creation. If you’re into corn and casseroles as much as I am, you should check out my Sweet Corn Salsa or my Easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole.
Why You’ll Love Easy Vegan Corn Casserole
It’s nice to have an easy, pleasing recipe to put on the table. The kind that causes oohs and ahhs at the table without too many moans and groans in the kitchen. That’s actually this recipe in a nutshell. Pull together a small and simple group of ingredients, throw them all together, and voila!
You’re like Serena. Ready to serve it up!
There’s another reason to celebrate this recipe. Vegan Cornbread mixes. It used to be it wasn’t easy to find a box of cornbread mix that was also free of animal parts. Most of them had lard in them. Lard = animal fat. No bueno.
Others had egg or other dairy.
But today it’s fairly easy to find cornbread sans animals. Be sure to look in both the health food section of your grocery store and/or where the regular cornbread products are sold. You should find at least one variety that is animal product free. Worse case scenario, look for a gluten-free cornbread mix because there are a couple of varieties that fit the bill.
This is the season for warm, comfort food-styled side dishes. I love to serve this dish with a side salad, and maybe some of my Vegan Chicken and Fig Sauce. All-in-all, it’s a hearty, simple vegan meal!
Don’t Change This Recipe
Oh, I’m just kidding. You definitely should change this recipe. That’s the whole thing about making food for yourself, you get to change it up however you want. If you’re curious, here are some ideas I’d love to try to change this easy vegan corn casserole recipe a little:
- Instead of pouring the vegan cheddar shreds on top, stir it into the mix before baking
- How about adding a little bit of chopped garlic or garlic powder
- Serve with warm with a dollop of vegan sour cream
- Take the seeds out and chop up a jalapeño and add that to the mix
- Add a cup or so of chopped cauliflower to the mix
You got this! Come up with some more fun ideas to make this recipe your own! You know what else I would do? Serve this easy vegan corn casserole with vegan chili. How delicious would that be! Food to warm the soul!
We hope you love this recipe for Easy Vegan Corn Casserole as much as we do. If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). We LOVE seeing your photos!
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 15 oz can can cream-style corn
- 8 oz package vegetarian/vegan corn muffin mix*
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a 8 or 9" square baking dish with vegetable spray
Combine the whole corn, creamed corn, corn muffin mix, vegan sour cream, and melted vegan butter in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
Pour the corn mixture into your prepared baking dish. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. it should be golden brown when it's done.
Remove from the oven and turn the heat up to 375F.
Top with the vegan cheddar shreds. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving warm.
* Use gluten-free corn meal mix to make this dish gluten-free. Also, be sure to check the labels to make sure it is vegetarian/vegan. Many brands such as Jiffy include lard in the ingredients which is an animal product. The health food section of your grocery store should offer several brands that are free of animal products and even Jiffy offers a Vegetarian version of their cornbread muffin mix.
If you’re into vegetarian or vegan cheesy corn recipes, check these recipes out:
- Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder by Love and Lemons
- Vegan Creamed Corn by Sweet Simple Vegan
- Sweet Corn Risotto by the VegLife
- Vegan Corn Soup by PBS Food
- For other holiday dinner side dishes check out this Vegan Thanksgiving with 10 Products by yours truly!
Whatever vegan dish your getting all corny about, enjoy!