This Easy Vegan Corn Casserole recipe is a cheesy cornbread dish, sure to please any dinner crowd and the cook too because it’s so easy to make! This corn casserole is the perfect savory side dish that goes with any meal.
I’ve always been a fan of corn. When I was a kid I used to melt cheese over corn and eat it in a bowl. I know. It borders on obsessive. This recipe for Easy Vegan Corn Casserole, is sort of a grown-up version of that childhood creation. If you’re into corn and casseroles as much as I am, you should check out my Sweet Corn Salsa or my Easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- The use of both whole and cream-style corn adds lots of corn flavor to this casserole
- Using a corn muffin mix keeps this casserole fluffy and delicious
- Adding vegan cheddar shreds as a topping brings the flavors all together, making this recipe hard to beat!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Corn — You’ll need a 15 oz can of whole kernel corn.
- Creamed Corn — Despite the name, there is no cream in creamed corn. You’ll need a 15 oz can of cream-style corn.
- Corn muffin mix — We’ll be using an 8 oz package of muffin mix — be sure to read the ingredients to make sure there are no dairy or egg ingredients.
- Vegan sour cream — Many vegan sour cream options are available, such as Tofutti and Good Kharma. Also, you could substitute Cashew Cream.
- Vegan butter — You can use Earth Balance or any favorite dairy-free margarine.
- Vegan cheddar shreds — We oftentimes use Follow Your Heart or Daiya Cheddar.
How to Make Vegan Corn Casserole
It’s nice to have an easy, pleasing vegan cornbread casserole to put on the table. The kind that causes oohs and ahhs at the table without too many moans and groans in the kitchen. That’s actually this recipe in a nutshell. Pull together a small and simple group of ingredients, throw them all together, and voila!
You’re like Serena. Ready to serve it up!
- Make the Batter — Combine the whole corn, creamed corn, corn muffin mix, vegan sour cream, and melted vegan butter in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Pour the corn mixture into your prepared baking dish.
- Top with Cheese — Top with the vegan cheddar shreds.
- Bake — Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, until it’s golden brown around the edges.
Vegan Cornbread Mixes
There’s another reason to celebrate this recipe — vegan cornbread mixes. It used to be it wasn’t easy to find a box of cornbread mix that was also free of animal parts. Most of them had lard. Lard = animal fat.
Others had egg or dairy.
But today it’s fairly easy to find cornbread without animal products. Here’s where you can find it:
- Health Food Stores — You’ll easily find dairy-free cornbread mixes here
- Healthy Departments — If your grocery store has a healthy department, you might find a vegan corn mix there
- Baking Mixes — You might even find a dairy-free cornbread mix with the rest of the mixes in the baking aisle
- Gluten-Free — When all else fails, many gluten-free mixes are also dairy-free.
Be sure to look in both the health food section of your grocery store and/or where the regular cornbread products are sold. You should find at least one variety that is animal product free. Worst case scenario, look for a gluten-free cornbread mix because there are a couple of varieties that fit the bill.
This is the season for warm, comfort food-styled side dishes. I love to serve this dish with a side salad, and maybe some of my Vegan Chicken and Fig Sauce. All-in-all, it’s a hearty, simple vegan meal!
- Instead of pouring the vegan cheddar shreds on top, you can stir it into the mix before baking
- You could add a little bit of chopped garlic or garlic powder to the batter
- Serve slices warm with a dollop of vegan sour cream on top
- Make yours spicy by removing the seeds and chopping up a jalapeño and add that to the mix
- Add a cup or so of chopped cauliflower to the mix.
If you’re looking for a no-fail, six-ingredient corn casserole recipe that’s dairy-free, look no more.
Vegan Cheesy Corn Casserole
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 15 oz can cream-style corn
- 8 oz package vegetarian/vegan corn muffin mix*
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Heat your oven to 375°F. Spray a 8 or 9" square baking dish with vegetable spray
- Combine the whole corn, creamed corn, corn muffin mix, vegan sour cream, and melted vegan butter in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pour the corn mixture into your prepared baking dish. Top with the vegan cheddar shreds. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. it should be golden brown when it's done.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving warm.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2016 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.