This quick and easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole creates a hardy, healthy, delicious meal that also yields leftovers.Enjoy layers of cornbread, meatless taco filling, and a creamy center, topped with crumbled Fritos.
Our lives are chaos. I’m not speaking philosically here, although I’m sure there could be some truth there as well. Metaphysics aside, we are seriously living in chaos. We are in the midst of packing for our big move. It’s one of those things that sounds so easy.
Doesn’t it? Let’s just pick up our belongings and take them to another address.
But in reality, it is quite overwhelming. And in the middle of being overwhelmed, I find myself drawn not only seeking comfort food, but also quick and easy recipes that produce lots of leftovers…so we can just heat it and eat it!
Should I trademark that? Maybe…
So I was in full comfort-food-desiring mode when I created this quick and easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole. Sure the title is long, but your time in the kitchen won’t be!
Can I tell you something? A little secret between you and me?
I’ve been eating this vegan taco cornbread casserole for breakfast too. Crazy? Brilliant? The line gets blurry sometimes.
But it has all the makings of a great start to the day – a good mixture of protein and carbs, and lots of yumminess to hold me through until lunch.
But I don’t have the beer at breakfast. I’m not that crazy. I’ll save that for later. You know, like lunch!
If a person were to think through the details, minute by minute, of what it takes to move…I think we’d all stay put for a very long time.
When I’m surrounded by boxes and a list of things to do longer than my daughter’s prom dress, I find it helps to avoid all thoughts of the present.
The future—living in our new house—is much, much better than these mounds of things to go in boxes around me. Don’t look!
I’m so excited about this Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole that I’m even sharing some tips on how to make it gluten-free. I don’t want anyone missing out on this taco casserole goodness!
If you love vegan comfort food as much as I do, you might want to consider these recipes too:
- Vegan one-pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Our favorite, Vegan Beef Stew
- Sometimes a sandwich is what I crave and this Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich is the best
- Vegan Chili Mac is a go-to favorite!
I could sit in a starry-eyed gaze thinking about the future, but that doesn’t get much done today. An alternative is to find ways to bring some pleasure in the present moment. You know, by having things you really enjoy…like good food. For a moment, you can forget about the busy, crazy days you’re in and take in the flavors. I should call this my mealtime meditation. Totally trademarking that!
So here’s to moving, dreaming about the future, and enjoying the moment all rolled up in one casserole.
Quick and Easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole
- 1 package Veggie Crumbles
- 1 envelope Mrs. Dash salt-free taco seasoning
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 2 packages (approximately 8 oz each) vegan cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 2 cup corn chips
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat your oven to 400F. Spray a 9X13 pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl combine the veggie crumbles and taco seasoning. Stir to ensure the seasoning is well distributed. Add the tomatoes (and the juice), rice (I used a package of pre-cooked brown rice), and green chilies. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the cornbread by using the following process: Pour the packets of cornbread mix in a bowl. Create a well in the middle and pour the soy milk, flax seed meal, corn starch and vinegar. Stir the milk mixture together and then stir the cornbread mixture into this as well. Add the can of corn, juice and all. Stir to combine.
- Pour half of the cornbread batter in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top that with half of the veggie meat mixture, the entire 1 cup of vegan sour cream (distributing it across the whole layer), half of the corn chips (using your hands to lightly smash them), and 1 cup of the vegan cheddar cheese. Then top this with the remaining cornbread batter, remaining veggie meat mixture, and remaining corn chips (again, using your hands to lightly smash them).
- Place this in the oven uncovered and bake for 50 minutes. You want to make sure the cornbread is cooked through to the middle. Once that has occurred, top with the remaining shredded vegan cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or so until the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
We hope you love this recipe for vegan cornbread casserole! If you decide to make it, be sure to snap a photo and use #namelymarly and share it with me on Instagram. We love seeing your photos.