This quick and easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole creates a hardy, healthy, delicious meal that also yields leftovers. Enjoy layers of cornbread, meatless taco filling, and a creamy center.
Serve this with some air fryer tortilla chips too.
I love simple, easy weeknight meals. I oftentimes make them on the weekend so we can enjoy leftovers all week long. This vegan Mexican cornbread casserole is one of my favorites for that very reason.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using store-bought cornbread mix makes this recipe easy to throw together in minutes
- Infusing veggie crumbles with taco seasoning makes this a hearty, protein-infused plant based dinner
- Layering the ingredients and topping with cheese gives every bite satisfying flavors.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Veggie crumbles
- Taco Seasoning — You can use storebought or make your own taco seasoning
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped green chilies
- Vegan cornbread mix
- Soy milk
- Ground flaxseed
- Apple cider vinegar
- Whole kernel corn
- Cream-style corn — Even though it has the word “cream” in it, most cream-style corn is actually vegan.
Many store-bought cornbread mixes can be overly sweet. You can always use homemade vegan cornbread made with reduced sugar.
How to Make Vegan Cornbread Casserole
- Make Mexican veggie meat crumbles by stirring together veggie crumbles and taco seasoning. Then stir in the tomatoes and the green chilies.
- Prepare the cornbread by stirring the cornbread mix with soy milk, flax, cornstarch, and vinegar. Add half of the can of whole corn and half of the cream-style corn.
- Make casserole layers by spreading half of the cornbread batter in the bottom of a prepared pan. Top with the veggie meat mixture, followed by the remaining whole and cream-style corn and some of the vegan cheddar shreds. Top with the remaining cornbread batter and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar shreds.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Use tongs to remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until the edges are bubbly and golden.
Depending on the type of veggie crumbles you’re using, you may need to cook the veggie crumbles first. For example, plant based meats mimic meats and require cooking, whereas frozen veggie crumbles do not. Be sure to follow the package directions.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. This can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes and then serve warm with any of the following:
- Easy Homemade Vegan Guacamole
- Cashew Cream
- Black Bean Dip
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Spanish Quinoa
- Vegan Queso Dip
- And don’t forget to have a Hibiscus Margarita on the side.
Vegan Mexican Recipes
If you love this vegan Mexican cornbread casserole, you’ll definitely want to try these other tasty dishes.
Vegan Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- 2 cups veggie crumbles
- 4 – 5 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 2 8 oz packages vegan cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 15 oz can whole kernel corn
- 1 15 oz can cream-style corn (see note)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water
- Heat your oven to 400F. Spray a 9X13 pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl combine the veggie crumbles and taco seasoning. Stir to ensure the seasoning is well distributed. Add the tomatoes (and the juice), and green chilies. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the cornbread: Pour the packets of cornbread mix in a bowl. Create a well in the middle and pour the soy milk, flax, cornstarch and vinegar. Stir the milk mixture together and then stir in the cornbread mixture. Add half of the can of whole corn and half of the cream-style corn. Stir to combine. The texture should be the consistency of a cake batter. If it's too thick, add a tablespooon or two of water and stir to combine.
- Casserole Layers: Spread half of the cornbread batter in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top that with the veggie meat mixture, followd by the remaining half of the corn and the cream-style corn and 1 cup of the vegan cheddar shreds. Then top with the remaining cornbread batter. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar shreds.
- Spray a sheet of foil with vegetable spray (to prevent it from sticking to the cheese) and place sprayed side down over the casserole.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Use tongs to remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until the edges are bubbly and golden.
- Use oven mitts to remove the casserole from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Then cut into slices and serve.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.