This quick and easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole creates a hardy, healthy, delicious meal that also yields leftovers.Enjoy layers of cornbread, meatless taco filling, and a creamy center.
Our lives are chaos. I’m not speaking philosically here, although I’m sure there could be some truth there as well. Metaphysics aside, we are seriously living in chaos. We are in the midst of packing for our big move. It’s one of those things that sounds so easy.
Doesn’t it? Let’s just pick up our belongings and take them to another address.
But in reality, it is quite overwhelming. And in the middle of being overwhelmed, I find myself drawn not only seeking comfort food, but also quick and easy recipes that produce lots of leftovers…so we can just heat it and eat it!
Should I trademark that? Maybe…
So I was in full comfort-food-desiring mode when I created this quick and easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole. Sure the title is long, but your time in the kitchen won’t be!
Can I tell you something? A little secret between you and me?
I’ve been eating this vegan taco cornbread casserole for breakfast too. Crazy? Brilliant? The line gets blurry sometimes.
But it has all the makings of a great start to the day – a good mixture of protein and carbs, and lots of yumminess to hold me through until lunch.
But I don’t have the beer at breakfast. I’m not that crazy. I’ll save that for later. You know, like lunch!
If a person were to think through the details, minute by minute, of what it takes to move…I think we’d all stay put for a very long time.
When I’m surrounded by boxes and a list of things to do longer than my daughter’s prom dress, I find it helps to avoid all thoughts of the present.
The future—living in our new house—is much, much better than these mounds of things to go in boxes around me. Don’t look!
I’m so excited about this Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole that I’m even sharing some tips on how to make it gluten-free. I don’t want anyone missing out on this taco casserole goodness!
If you love vegan comfort food as much as I do, you might want to consider these recipes too:
- Vegan one-pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Our favorite, Vegan Beef Stew
- Sometimes a sandwich is what I crave and this Vegan Chopped Cheese Sandwich is the best
- Vegan Chili Mac is a go-to favorite!
I could sit in a starry-eyed gaze thinking about the future, but that doesn’t get much done today. An alternative is to find ways to bring some pleasure in the present moment. You know, by having things you really enjoy…like good food. For a moment, you can forget about the busy, crazy days you’re in and take in the flavors. I should call this my mealtime meditation. Totally trademarking that!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Quick and Easy Vegan Taco Cornbread Casserole
- 2 cups veggie crumbles
- 4 – 5 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 2 8 oz packages vegan cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 15 oz can whole kernel corn
- 1 15 oz can cream-style corn (see note)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water
- Heat your oven to 400F. Spray a 9X13 pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl combine the veggie crumbles and taco seasoning. Stir to ensure the seasoning is well distributed. Add the tomatoes (and the juice), and green chilies. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the cornbread: Pour the packets of cornbread mix in a bowl. Create a well in the middle and pour the soy milk, flax, cornstarch and vinegar. Stir the milk mixture together and then stir in the cornbread mixture. Add half of the can of whole corn and half of the cream-style corn. Stir to combine. The texture should be the consistency of a cake batter. If it's too thick, add a tablespooon or two of water and stir to combine.
- Casserole Layers: Spread half of the cornbread batter in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top that with the veggie meat mixture, followd by the remaining half of the corn and the cream-style corn and 1 cup of the vegan cheddar shreds. Then top with the remaining cornbread batter. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar shreds.
- Spray a sheet of foil with vegetable spray (to prevent it from sticking to the cheese) and place sprayed side down over the casserole.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Use tongs to remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until the edges are bubbly and golden.
- Use oven mitts to remove the casserole from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Then cut into slices and serve.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.