You’re gonna love this vegan baked potatoes recipe! Not only is it easy and nutritious, but baked potatoes are also satisfying too. Make the perfect baked potato with a crispy, seasoned potato crust and fluffy, tender insides.
I learned after my sister did a DNA test that we are over 50% Scottish. This, I’ve decided, is the reason I’m so in love with potatoes. There’s no shortage of vegan potato recipes here, including Vegan Scalloped Potatoes.
But to me, there’s nothing like Vegan Baked Potato recipes. Before I met my husband, I used to make baked potatoes for dinner almost every day. Throw in some steamed broccoli and add some vegan cheese and sour cream and you’ve got yourself a feast!
I’m like Forrest Gump when it comes to potatoes. I can eat them fried, boiled, baked, scalloped, twice baked, and many other ways.
But loaded with all these great ingredients? This has to be my absolute favorite…at least for the moment.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- russet potatoes
- vegetarian chili
- vegetable broth
- vegan butter
- chopped green onion
- vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- vegan sour cream
- veggie bacon (or vegan bacon bits).
How to Make Loaded Vegan Baked Potatoes
The trick to this recipe is baking the potatoes to get a nice, crispy, flavorful crust. I’m providing a microwave option as well, but oven baked is by far the best. Of course, you’ll also want to use baked potato toppings vegan.
- Prepare the potatoes by washing them and patting them dry. Then prick each with a fork (around 6 pricks per potato)
- Place potatoes in the oven and bake for 60 to 75 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Heat vegan chili in the microwave or stovetop until warmed through
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, make a vertical line on top of each potato and press in the sides to open the potatoes.
- Gently mash vegan butter and vegetable broth into the potato flesh.
- Add your favorite toppings, such as warmed vegetarian chili, green onion, vegan sour cream, and shredded vegan cheese.
- Place potatoes on a plate and microwave them in 30-second to 1-minute increments until the cheese has melted.
Step One: Bake the Potatoes
Wash and dry each potato, piercing it with a fork a few times.
I love this tip from America’s Test Kitchen on soaking potatoes in a salt brine before baking.
Here are two different ways to cook the potatoes:
To cook potatoes in a microwave, place the prepared potatoes in the microwave and cook for 10 minutes. Use tongs to flip the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Use a fork to see if the center is tender enough. If not, cook in two-to-three-minute increments until done.
After the potatoes are done, allow them to sit in the microwave to cool or use oven mitts to remove them from the oven.
Either way, the potatoes will need to sit for several minutes before they’re cool enough to touch.
Please note that the microwave method of cooking potatoes will not result in a crispy potato crust. But it will result in a quick baked potato!
Quick Fix Tip
Many microwaves include a potato setting. This can be a great way of cooking potatoes in a microwave.
Oven Baked Potatoes
To cook potatoes in the oven, place the prepared potatoes in the heated oven and bake for 60 to 75 minutes, until tender.
Vegan Baked Potato Toppings
Here are the vegan toppings for baked potatoes that I’m recommending: veggie chili, vegan sour cream, and vegan cheese.
While the potatoes are cooking, get the veggie chili ready. If you haven’t already prepard it, my Vegan Chili recipe is easy and comes together in minutes. Whatever veggie chili you’re using, transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl and cook for one to two minutes, until heated through.
You’ll also want to set out some vegan butter and vegan cheddar shreds.
Once the potatoes are done and cool enough to handle, cut them down the middle. Put a little bit of vegan butter and pour a little vegetable broth inside each potato. Use a fork to gently “mash” the broth and potato into the potato flesh.
Top each potato with the vegetarian chili, green onion, and shredded vegan cheese. Place potatoes back in the microwave and cook for 1 – 2 minutes until the cheese is melted. For a nice change of pace, sometimes I’ll add some vegan cream cheese too.
Finish by topping with vegan sour cream and, if desired, vegetarian bacon bits.
Look, it’s easy to make your baked potato vegan. It all comes down to have the best vegan add-ins. Here are some other great vegan stuffed baked potatoes toppings you will want to consider either as add-ins or in place of the other toppings suggested here:
- Add up to a 1/2 cup of black beans per potato
- Vegan Alfred sauce is amazing drizzled over a baked potato
- Add steamed broccoli and then drizzle the potatoes with vegan broccoli soup. It’s amazing!
- Add some tempeh bacon crumbles
- Chopped green onions.
Having a party? Make a vegan baked potato bar and have several of these toppings available for your guests to customize Whatever toppings you use, these vegan stuffed potatoes are delicious!
More Vegan Potato Recipes
Loaded Vegan Baked Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash and dry potatoes, then prick each with a fork several times (around 6 pricks per potato)
- Microwave Baked Potatoes: Place prepared potatoes in a microwave and either use the baked potato setting on your microwave or cook for 10 minutes. Use tongs to turn potatoes and cook for 5 additional minutes. Use a fork to see if the center is tender enough. If not, cook in two-to-three-minute increments until done. Leave potatoes in the microwave to cool or use oven mitts to remove the hot potatoes. They will need to cool for several minutes before they are cool enough to touch.
- Oven-Baked Potatoes: Preheat oven to 375°F. Place prepared potatoes in the oven and bake for 60 to 75 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Use oven mitts to remove potatoes from the oven. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Pour the vegan chili in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for a minute or two until warmed through
- Once the potatoes are done and have cooled enough to handle, use a fork to make a dotted vertical line on top of each potato. Press in the sides together to open the potatoes. Use the fork to push the potato flesh up and out.
- Place a little bit of vegan butter and some vegetable broth on the inside of each cut potato. Use a fork to gently "mash" the broth and butter into the potato flesh a bit. This step makes the potato flesh fluffier and moist.
- Top each potato with warmed vegetarian chili, green onion, vegan sour cream, and shredded vegan cheese. Place potatoes on a plate and microwave them in 30-second to 1-minute increments until the cheese has melted.
- Finish by topping with vegetarian bacon bits, if desired.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.