Enjoy the fresh and comforting flavors in this Easy Vegan Penne Pasta and Sausage recipe and you’ll be singing the praises of vegan eating! And if easy vegan recipes are your thing, why not check out our Two Vegan Pizzas for Under $15 recipe or how about our Easy Vegan Garlic Pasta. However you slice it, easy vegan is the way to go!
I once heard Jon Stewart say that veganism will become mainstream when it becomes convenient.
My jaw dropped to the floor.
First of all, there I was watching The Daily Show and Jon Stewart was talking about veganism. How cool is that!
Second, I was shocked to realize people don’t think of veganism as convenient. I guess that’s because if you’ve been vegan for any time at all, you would know that being vegan today is super convenient compared to even just five years ago!
Then recently I was talking with Jasmin Singer of Our Hen House (expect that discussion to appear on the Namely Marly Podcast soon!), and I mentioned this Jon Stewart quote to Jasmin. She suggested it might sound better to say this, “Veganism will become mainstream when we recognize how convenient it is.”
If you’re into Easy Vegan Recipes, you might want to take my Vegan Type Quiz. It’s a quick, 10-question quiz where you can determine what kind of vegan you are. The tool provides vegan meal plans based on your type!
How to Make Vegan Penne Pasta and Sausage
The thing I love most about vegan products, is that there’s no additional cooking time required. In other words, when I buy Vegan Italian Sausage, I simply slice it, heat it, and serve it.
That means the most difficult part of this recipe is cooking the pasta. Then we add some chopped onions and red bell peppers to a skillet with some olive oil and cook until tender and then add the tomato sauce, sliced sausages and seasonings.
Once that pasta is done you add it to the pot and less than thirty minutes later you’re ready to sing, “Dinner’s ready!” Music to my ears! 🙂
What’s the Difference Between Penne Pasta and Rigatoni?
You can easily tell penne pasta and rigatoni apart, by looking at the ends. The cut on the ends of penne pasta comes to a point. In fact, penne pasta means “pen” and if you imagine the end of the pasta looking like a quill, you’ll easily be able to identify penne pasta.
Rigatoni pasta is larger and rounder and has blunt cut ends.
Penne pasta works perfectly for this dish because it delivers just enough delicious sauce to along with the vegan sausage. When easy vegan recipes come to mind, this one is front and center!
We hope you love this easy Vegan Penne Pasta recipe as much as we do! Share a snapshot of your dish using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Easy Vegan Penne Pasta and Sausage
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 14 oz Vegan Italian sausage* cut into 1-inch pieces
- 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese shreds optional
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, add the oil and cook the onions and red bell pepper over medium heat, until both are tender.
- Add the sliced vegan sausage, followed by the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Stir to combine and cook until heated through.
- Drain pasta and pour into skillet, stirring until the pasta is coated.
- Sprinkle the top of the pasta with vegan cheese shreds.
Here are some other Vegan Pasta Recipes we’re loving:
- One-Pot Creamy Vegan Pasta by Yup, It’s Vegan
- Vegan Pasta Alfredo by Simple Vegan Blog
- Avocado and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta by Crazy Vegan Kitchen
- Spaghetti for Two with Seared Cauliflower by yours truly!
Whatever pasta your swirling around your fork, enjoy!