This vegan black bean burrito recipe makes the best burrito in town! You’ll love the simple ingredients, from black beans, brown rice, potatoes, corn, and seasonings to make it just right. Serve with vegan guacamole and air fryer tortilla chips for a festive plant-based Mexican dinner.
If you like tasty, inexpensive, and filling vegan dishes, you’re going to like these vegan black bean burritos. For some delicious vegan Mexican-themed side dishes for these vegan burritos, why not add a batch of this Easy Vegan Queso? Or how about some of my favorite Vegan 7 Layer Dip? Mmmm. So good!
We have the filling for these burritos in our fridge or freezer almost any day of the week. Why? Because it’s so easy, filling, and delicious!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using frozen hash brown potatoes makes this recipe so easy to make and the fried potatoes in the burrito add flavor and texture to every bite
- Instant brown rice means you can have healthy brown rice in your burrito while keeping it easy (instant rice is not so different nutritionally from slow-cooked brown rice. Source.)
- Browning the burrito in a skillet before serving creates a crispy tortilla shell, making your burrito irresistibly delicious
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegetable oil
- Frozen hash brown potatoes — You can use frozen, or diced potatoes (we use russet or red potatoes).
- Uncooked instant rice — Using instant rice keeps it easy, but you can substitute slow-cooked brown rice.
- Black beans — Use either freshly cooked from dried beans or canned black beans.
- Pinto beans — We prefer canned beans to keep this simple, but cooked from dried is another great option.
- Corn — You can use canned corn, but fresh or frozen corn has a much better flavor.
- Seasoning — We’ll be using chili powder, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika.
- Flour tortillas — Use your favorite size and type of flour tortillas. We like using carb balance burritos because of the increased fiber.
How to Make a Vegan Black Bean Burrito
- Cook the Rice — We’ll be using instant brown rice, to keep things simple So, cook instant rice according to instructions. Alternatively, you can use regular brown rice, just be sure to increase the cook times.
- Sauté Onions and Potatoes — Add vegetable oil to a large skillet or pot. Sauté potatoes and diced onion on medium heat until tender. You want the potatoes to get a little crispy as well.
- Add Beans + Corn — Drain the cans of beans and corn and add them to the cooked rice and potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes until heated through. Next, add spices and reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 mins.
- Serve — Add mixture to warm tortilla and garnish with salsa, veggie cheese, and guacamole. Alternatively, add this to soft taco corn tortillas or even as a topping over salads.
- Make a Crispy Burrito — This is optional, but once your burrito is rolled up, reheat your skillet to medium-high and brown burritos until crispy, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Store the burrito filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or you can freeze the filling for up to 2 months. Transfer to the fridge overnight to thaw. Then heat and serve.
These are so delicious and have become a staple at my house! All the non vegans who have tried it here said yummy as well! I add 4oz of vegan cream cheese when I want it extra creamy. Thanks for making vegan so YUM and easy
Serve your vegan black bean burrito with some favorite Mexican toppings such as:
- We like making this recipe without a lot of fuss. However, sometimes we’ll go the extra mile and use real chopped potatoes (instead of frozen) and real brown rice (instead of instant)
- To make this gluten-free, use gluten-free tortillas
- Feel free to add some chopped cilantro to the rice mixture
- Adding some cumin to the spices gives it an extra “taco-ey” flavor
For a different kind of vegan burrito, be sure to try this Vegan Breakfast Burrito. It’s a tasty breakfast (or any time of the day) meal.
More Mexican Recipes
That’s it for this vegan black bean burrito recipe. Enjoy!
Vegan Black Bean Burrito
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 30 oz canned black beans
- 15 oz canned pinto beans
- 15 oz canned corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 10 flour tortillas
- Cook instant rice according to instructions.
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet or pot. Sauté potatoes and diced onion on medium heat until tender.
- Drain the cans of beans and corn and then add them to the cooked rice and spices to potatoes. Reduce heat and cook for 10 to 15 mins.
- Add mixture to warm tortilla and garnish with salsa, veggie cheese, and guacamole.
- Optional: Heat a skillet to medium-high and brown the wrapped burritos until crispy.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2017 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.