This Falafel Sandwich recipe features a pita stuffed with greens, hummus, falafel patties, and your favorite veggies. Drizzle falafel pitas with a creamy garlic sauce. Serve your sandwich in a pocket, as a wrap, or even as a salad!
Add some tahini sauce to your favorite plant-based Mediterranean dishes!
Falafel sandwiches are a favorite recipe when it’s time to get healthy. Why? Because they’re loaded with greens, hummus, and flavorful falafel. And the falafel is made from chickpeas and other fresh ingredients. That makes this a filling sandwich.
And isn’t that what we’re all after anyway? To feel full. Not hungry. This sandwich checks that box in the most delicious ways!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Falafel — You can make baked falafel or air fryer falafel.
- Pita bread pockets — I prefer using whole wheat pita because they have added fiber and nutrition.
- Olive oil — We’ll use a bit of olive oil to toast the pita.
- Veggies — You can use your favorite veggies, but I recommend sliced tomatoes and cucumbers for color and fresh flavors.
- Hummus — This is my favorite condiment, and my green hummus is the best!
- Romaine lettuce — I prefer romaine because it’s crunchy and nutritious. You can substitute your favorite greens here.
- Vegan yogurt — I recommend using plain yogurt (not vanilla-flavored). My favorite brand is Forager, but Silk has a nice plain yogurt too.
- Tahini — This is a sesame paste that’s also commonly used to make hummus. You can find it in the health food aisles or the International section of most stores.
- Garlic powder — That flavor of raw garlic is too overpowering, so I recommend garlic powder, or you could use the tender cloves from garlic confit.
- Lemon juice — You can use fresh lemon juice or from a bottle.
How to Make Falafel Sandwiches
Here are the steps to make this recipe:
Step One: Make the Falafel
The first step is to prepare the falafel patties. You can fry the patties in a skillet, bake them, or cook them in an air fryer.
Step Two: Prepare the Pita
Once the patties are done, it’s time to prepare your sandwiches. Begin by cooking the pita in a skillet to get the bread nice and toasty.
Next, it’s time to assemble the pita sandwiches. So, cut each pita round in half to reveal the pocket inside.
If you want to serve your sandwich gyro style, simply leave the pita flat. Place the fillings on top of the flat pita, and drizzle with tahini sauce. This makes a great vegetarian wrap!
Step Three: Stuff the Pita
The next step is to stuff each pocket. I recommend this order of ingredients: greens, hummus, two or three falafel patties, and chopped veggies.
Step Four: Drizzle with Condiments
Finally, drizzle your sandwich with tahini sauce. See the tips below for making a vegan garlic tahini sauce.
Store individual ingredients separately in the fridge to assemble sandwiches throughout the week. You can freeze cooked falafel patties and then reheat them in a microwave or toaster oven until heated through.
This Sandwich Explained
What’s in this tasty Mediterranean sandwich? Let’s break it down:
- Pita. A pita is a type of flatbread that usually features a pocket inside. This pocket results from being baked in a hot oven. That pocket makes pita the best falafel bread for sandwich purposes. You can choose from white, whole wheat, low carb, and even gluten-free pita bread. A pocketless pita is also an option, and in that case, you would serve your pita sandwich more like a pita wrap, or gyro style.
- Falafel. You can use a mix, but homemade is much better.
- Greens. I recommend filling the pocket with lots of healthy greens, such as romaine lettuce. It’s a crispy green and also very healthy.
- Hummus. Any hummus will do, such as this Caramelized Onion Hummus or this Carrot Hummus.
- Veggies. Chopped veggies make the best falafel sandwich fillings. Add your favorite veggies, such as cherry tomatoes, sliced red onions, diced cucumbers, and more. Other non-traditional toppings are fried or grilled onions, sauerkraut, chopped olives, and avocados.
- Creamy Tahini Sauce. Of course, drizzling some creamy tahini sauce on top is amazing.
These ingredients combined together makes the best falafel food ever!
What is a falafel sandwich made of?
A falafel sandwich is made with a pita pocket, stuffed with a number of ingredients including hummus, greens, falafel patties, and veggies. You will oftentimes see a creamy sauce drizzled over the top, like a yogurt tahini sauce.
Is a falafel sandwich healthy?
To make your falafel sandwich as healthy as possible, use whole wheat pita bread. You can also stuff it with lots of healthy greens, and baked or air fried falafel rather than a traditional fried patties.
What to Serve with Falafel Sandwiches
Make a Falafel Sandwich Salad
Trying to reduce carbs? Going gluten-free? You’ll love this little switch I make. You can serve your sandwich in salad form.
Lay out the greens in a large bowl or plate. Then top with hummus, chopped veggies, three to four falafel, and drizzle with the tahini sauce. Add a couple of gluten-free pieces of pita on the side if you’d like or add a few chopped nuts for crunch. Either way, this is a tasty alternative to the sandwich!
For the Falafel
Vegan Garlic Tahini Sauce
- 1 cup vegan plain yogurt (not vanilla flavored)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste – see notes for substitutes)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prepare the falafel as directed in the recipe.
- Prepare veggies washing, peeling, chopping and slicing.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cook pita for approximately 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Set aside and repeat with remaining pitas, or however many pitas you're making.
For the Vegan Garlic Tahini Sauce
- Prepare the vegan garlic tahini sauce by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
Pita Sandwich Assembly
- To assemble the pita sandwiches, cut toasted pita rounds in half. Stuff the pocket of each pita pocket with greens, hummus, 2–3 falafel, and chopped veggies. Drizzle the falafel sandwich with tahini sauce.
- Store individual ingredients separately in the fridge to assemble sandwiches throughout the week. You can freeze cooked falafel patties. Reheat in the microwave or toaster oven until heated through.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
That’s it for these falafel pita pockets. Enjoy!