This Falafel Sandwich recipe features a pita stuffed with greens, hummus, falafel patties, and your favorite veggies. Drizzle falafel pitas with a creamy garlic tahini sauce. Serve your sandwich in a pocket, like a falafel wrap, or even as a falafel sandwich salad!
Falafel sandwiches are a favorite recipe when it’s time to get healthy. Why? Because they’re loaded with greens, hummus, and flavorful falafel. And the falafel is made from chickpeas and other fresh ingredients. That makes this a filling sandwich.
And isn’t that what we’re all after anyway? To feel full. Not hungry. This sandwich checks that box in the most delicious ways!
What is a falafel sandwich made of?
A falafel sandwich is made with a pita pocket, stuffed with a number of ingredients including hummus, greens, falafel patties, and veggies. You will oftentimes see a creamy sauce drizzled over the top, like a yogurt tahini sauce.
Is a falafel sandwich healthy?
To make your falafel sandwich as healthy as possible, use whole wheat pita bread. You can also stuff it with lots of healthy greens, and baked or air fried falafel rather than a traditional fried falafel.
How to Make Falafel Sandwiches
When you’re ready to make your falafel sandwich, it’s best to begin with the falafel. The question comes down to how you want to cook your falafel patties.
But first, let’s talk about the falafel ingredients. You’re going to need: chickpeas, fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, an onion, garlic, more seasonings, and flour. You can use either gluten-free or all-purpose flour.
There are several ways to go about making your falafel. I recommend either Baked Falafel or Air Fried Falafel (see link above).
If you’re wondering how to serve falafel, you can place them on a plate with the tahini dipping sauce. Of course, there are a number of ways when it comes to how to eat falafel. For example, I highly recommend the falafel sandwich. Read on for more about that.
Air-fried or baked are two great, healthy ways to make your falafel.
Assembling The Falafel Sandwich
The number one question I see about this recipe is what’s in a falafel sandwich. So, let’s break it down. here are the best falafel sandwich ingredients.
- Pita. A pita is a type of flatbread that usually features a pocket inside. This pocket results from being baked in a hot oven. As a result, the pita is the best falafel bread for sandwich purposes. You can choose from white, whole wheat, low carb, and even gluten-free pita bread. A pocketless pita is also an option and in that case, you would serve your falafel sandwich more like a falafel pita wrap, or falafel gyro style.
- Falafel. Make the falafel as directed in the linked recipe. You can use a falafel mix, but homemade falafel is much better! Oftentimes we serve falafel with pita bread because falafel and pita go so well together. But for today’s recipe, we’ll be serving the falafel in pita pockets. That’s right, actually inside the pita pocket…like a sandwich!
- Greens. I recommend filling the pocket with lots of healthy greens, such as romaine lettuce. It’s a crispy green and also very healthy too!
- Hummus. I love adding hummus to my falafel sandwich. Any hummus will do, but this Caramelized Onion Hummus is great!
- Veggies. Chopped veggies make the best falafel sandwich fillings. Add your favorite veggies, such as cherry tomatoes, sliced red onions, diced cucumbers, and more!
- Creamy Tahini Sauce. Of course, drizzling some creamy tahini sauce on top is amazing. See the recipe below.
These ingredients combined together makes the best falafel food ever!
Step one: Prepare the Pita
The first step in making your falafel sandwich is, obviously, to cook the falafel. Once the falafel is done, it’s time to prepare your sandwiches. Begin by cooking the pita in a skillet to get the bread nice and toasty.
Next, it’s time to assemble the pita sandwiches. So, cut each pita round in half to reveal the pocket inside.
Step two: Stuff the Pita
The next step for this falafel pita recipe is to stuff each pocket. I recommend doing it in this order: greens, hummus, two or three falafel patties, and chopped veggies.
Step three: Drizzle with Falafel Condiment
Finally, drizzle the falafel sandwich with tahini sauce. See the tips below for making a vegan garlic tahini sauce.
Store individual ingredients separately in the fridge to assemble sandwiches throughout the week. You can freeze cooked falafel patties and then reheat them in a microwave or toaster oven until heated through.
I recommend using these delicious falafel toppings: chopped tomatoes, diced cucumber, sliced red onions, sesame seeds, hummus, and, of course, my creamy garlic tahini sauce.
Other non-traditional falafel sandwich toppings could be fried or grilled onions, sauerkraut, chopped olives, and avocados.
If you want to serve the best falafel sandwich gyro style, simply leave the pita flat. Place the fillings on top of the flat pita, and drizzle with tahini sauce. A falafel gyro recipe is a great vegetarian wrap!
How to Make Vegan Tahini Sauce
The best falafel sandwich recipes are topped with a creamy sauce, otherwise known as a falafel condiment. I’m recommending a creamy garlic tahini sauce. Here are the ingredients for your garlic tahini sauce: vegan plain yogurt (not vanilla flavored), tahini (sesame paste), garlic powder, and lemon juice.
Prepare the vegan garlic tahini sauce by combining the ingredients in a small bowl and then stirring to combine.
If the sauce is too thin, add a little bit more creamy yogurt. If it’s too thick, add a little bit more lemon juice.
Drizzle this sauce over the falafel pita sandwich recipe.
What to Serve with Falafel Sandwich
What goes with falafel sandwiches? Well, you can serve a variety of tasty side dishes with this falafel wrap recipe, including:
- These crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges are the best
- Make this Sweet Potato Tater Tots recipe for a tasty side dish
- Of course, this Cauliflower Salad would be great on the side
- Or even this Vegan Pasta Salad would be mighty tasty
- And how about some Vegan Broccoli Salad on the side!
Make a Falafel Sandwich Salad
Trying to reduce carbs? Going gluten-free? You’ll love this little switch I make. Look, I love making falafel dishes, including these sandwiches, but you can serve your falafel sandwich in salad form.
Lay out the greens in a large bowl or plate. Then top with hummus, chopped veggies, three to four falafel, and drizzle with the tahini sauce. Add a couple of gluten-free pieces of pita on the side if you’d like or add a few chopped nuts for crunch. Either way, this is a tasty alternative to the sandwich!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
For the Falafel
Vegan Garlic Tahini Sauce
- 1 cup vegan plain yogurt (not vanilla flavored)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste – see notes for substitutes)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prepare the falafel as directed in the recipe.
- Prepare veggies washing, peeling, chopping and slicing.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cook pita for approximately 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Set aside and repeat with remaining pitas, or however many pitas you're making.
For the Vegan Garlic Tahini Sauce
- Prepare the vegan garlic tahini sauce by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
Pita Sandwich Assembly
- To assemble the pita sandwiches, cut toasted pita rounds in half. Stuff the pocket of each pita pocket with greens, hummus, 2 – 3 falafel, and chopped veggies. Drizzle the falafel sandwich with tahini sauce.
- Store individual ingredients separately in the fridge to assemble sandwiches throughout the week. You can freeze cooked falafel patties. Reheat in the microwave or toaster oven until heated through.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
That’s it for these falafel pita pockets. Enjoy!