These strawberry and chocolate cake mix brownies are moist and delicious and are served with layers, featuring a strawberry cake mix brownies layer too. This chocolate dessert bars recipe is so easy to make because it comes from a cake mix and it’s perfect to serve up a sweet treat all year long.
I love having easy dessert recipes that I can throw together quickly. Because you never know when an impromptu party opportunity is going to happen. Those impromptu parties are the best! But I hate to show up empty handed.
That’s where making brownies from cake mix sure comes in handy!
What is the difference between cake mix and brownie mix?
Most chocolate cake and brownie mixes will have a lot of the same ingredients, including flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and so on. However, the main difference is that cake mixes will have some kind of chemical leavening, like baking powder and baking soda.
Can you make brownies without egg?
It’s easy to make brownies without egg, whether using a mix or making your own homemade brownies. A simple substitute to use 1/4 cup of applesauce or even canned pumpkin for each egg in your brownie recipe to keep your brownies moist and delicious!
How to Make Cake Mix Brownies
Cake mixes are made with leavening, such as baking soda. That’s what makes cake light and fluffy. So, how can you make brownies with a cake mix? It’s actually pretty easy.
- Make a creamed filling by combining milk, cornstarch, ground flaxseed, chickpeas, and oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse this until smooth, up to a minute or so.
- Pour the cake mix into a mixing bowl and pour the creamed filling mixture into the bowl and stir to combine. This creates a very thick batter, more like a cookie dough.
- Press the thick batter into the bottom of a prepared 9X13 pan.
As you can see from the pictures, I created two layers: a chocolate cake mix layer and a strawberry cake mix layer. I found these two flavors worked wonderfully together!
You can add some tasty brownie toppings, like any of the following:
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts (like walnuts, pecans, or even almonds)
- Colorful sprinkles
- Vanilla drizzle (optional).
- This recipe calls for one can of chickpeas, or you can substitute 1 1/2 cups of homemade cooked chickpeas.
- You can try different cake mix flavors based on your preference, such as cherry, or even a yellow cake mix.
- Be sure to look at the cake mix ingredients to make sure they’re made without eggs or dairy.
- You can substitute gluten-free cake mixes to make this recipe gluten-free.
- This makes a very thick batter, more like a cookie dough, but the results are a delicious, fudgy cake mix brownie!
- To make the optional vanilla drizzle, combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite extract (vanilla, strawberry, coconut, etc), and 1 – 2 teaspoons almond milk.
Making brownies using cake mix creates wonderfully gooey brownies. To keep them nice and soft, be sure to store them in an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 10 days, and they can be frozen for up to 2 months.
New to Vegan Baking?
The idea of making cookies, cakes, or muffins without eggs or dairy can seem like a hill too tall to climb. But with the simple tips in my Guide to Vegan Baking, you’ll be baking like a vegan pro in no time!
You Might Also Like
- Vegan Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Banana Brownies
- Healthy Brownies
- Black Bean Brownies
- Vegan Banana Blondies
Cake Mix Brownies
Cake Mix Brownies
- 1 cup dairy-free milk I used almond milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 box Duncan Hines Dark Fudge Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 box Duncan Hines Strawberry Cake Mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips , divided
- ½ cup pecans , chopped
- 4 tablespoons heart sprinkles
For the Cake Mix Brownies
- Heat your oven to 350F and spray a 9X13 cake pan with vegetable spray.
- Add milk, corn starch, ground flax seeds, chickpeas, and oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth, up to a minute or so.
- Pour the chocolate cake mix into a mixing bowl. Now pour half the chickpea mixture into the bowl and stir to combine. You will have a thick batter, more similar to a cookie dough. Press this into the bottom of your prepared 9X13 pan. Sprinkle half the chocolate chips over the top of this layer.
- Rinse out your mixing bowl and dry. Then pour the strawberry cake mix and the remaining half of the creamy filling mixture. Stir to combine. Again, you will have a thick batter. Gently press this layer over the top of the chocolate layer. I find it helps to get your fingers wet and press the strawberry batter evenly across the top. Sprinkle the top with the chopped pecans and remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350F for 45 – 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
For the Toppings
- Top the brownies with the sprinkles. You want the dessert bars to be warm enough to cause the sprinkles to stick with the gooey chocolate chips.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.