This strawberry chocolate bars recipe makes tender, chewy bars that are oh-so moist and delicious. You’ll love these bars make with only 6 ingredients and featuring layers of chocolate and strawberry goodness. It’s so easy to make because it comes from a cake mix and it’s perfect to serve up a sweet treat all year long.
I love having easy dessert recipes that I can throw together quickly. Because you never know when an impromptu party opportunity is going to happen. Those impromptu parties are the best! But I hate to show up empty-handed. That’s one reason I usually keep some vegan chocolate chip cookies in the freezer. But there are times that call for something even better than cookies!
That’s where these strawberry chocolate cake bars come in handy!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan sour cream — You’ll need some plain vegan sour cream for this recipe. I use either Tofutti’s or Forager.
- Vegetable oil — We’ll use a neutral oil, like canola oil or even olive oil.
- Plant-based milk — Use your favorite plant-based milk, whether it be soy milk, oat milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or even pecan milk.
- Chocolate Cake Mix — There are plenty of chocolate cake mixes to choose from these days, including some that I refer to as accidentally vegan. For example, Duncan Hines makes many varieties of chocolate cake mixes without eggs or dairy. You can also choose organic vegan brands, such as Annie’s or Simple Mills.
- Strawberry Cake Mix — The same is true for strawberry cake mixes as well.
- Chocolate chips — Use this dairy-free chocolate chips guide to find the best vegan chocolate chips for you!
How to Make Strawberry Chocolate Bars
- Create the creamy base by stirring together vegan sour cream, vegetable oil, and plant-based milk.
- Make the chocolate layer by combining the cake mix with the creamy base. Press this into the prepared pan.
- Make the strawberry layer by combining the cake mix with the creamy base. Press this into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until done.
Here are more detailed step-by-step instructions.
Step One: Make the Creamy Base
Stir together vegan sour cream, vegetable oil, and plant-based milk.
Step Two: Prepare the Chocolate Layer
- Pour the chocolate cake mix into a mixing bowl.
- Pour in half the creamy mixture and stir to combine. You will have a thick batter, more similar to cookie dough.
- Press this into the bottom of your prepared 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle half the chocolate chips over the top of this layer.
Step Three: Prepare the Strawberry Layer
- Rinse out your mixing bowl and dry.
- Pour the strawberry cake mix into the bowl.
- Add the remaining creamy mixture and stir to combine.
- Gently press this layer over the top of the chocolate layer. It helps to get your fingers wet and press the strawberry batter evenly across the top.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
Step Four: Bake
Bake the bars for 45 to 50 minutes. When there done, remove them from the oven and set aside to cool. These bars will thicken as they cool, so allowing them this time will help them cut into better, firmer slices.
Cake Mix Bars Toppings
You can serve these chocolate strawberry bars as-is, or you can add some tasty toppings, like any of the following:
- Vegan Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts (like walnuts, pecans, or even almonds)
- Colorful sprinkles
- Vanilla drizzle (optional). I like using this vegan royal icing to drizzle over the top.
Can you make cake mix bars without eggs?
It’s easy to make cake mix bars without egg, whether using a mix or making your own homemade brownies. A simple substitute is to use 1/4 cup of vegan sour cream for each egg in your recipe to keep your bars moist and delicious!
What is the difference between cake mix and brownie mix?
Most chocolate cake and brownie mixes will have a lot of the same ingredients, including flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and so on. However, the main difference is that cake mixes will have some kind of chemical leavening, like baking powder and baking soda.
- You can try different cake mix flavors based on your preference, such as cherry, or even a yellow cake mix.
- Be sure to look at the cake mix ingredients to make sure they’re made without eggs or dairy.
- You can substitute gluten-free cake mixes to make gluten-free bars.
- This makes a very thick batter, more like cookie dough, but the results are delicious, fudgy cake mix brownie bars!
To keep theses bars nice and soft, be sure to store them in an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 10 days, and they can be frozen for up to 2 months.
New to Vegan Baking?
The idea of making cookies, cakes, or muffins without eggs or dairy can seem like a hill too tall to climb. But with the simple tips in my Guide to Vegan Baking, you’ll be baking like a vegan pro in no time!
More Dessert Bar Favorites
If you love these strawberry chocolate bars, be sure to try these tasty vegan dessert bars:
Strawberry Chocolate Bars
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup plant-based milk
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix (see notes)
- 1 box Strawberry Cake Mix (see notes)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Heat your oven to 350°F/180°C and spray a 9×13 cake pan with vegetable spray.
- Stir together vegan sour cream, vegetable oil, and plant-based milk.
- Pour the chocolate cake mix into a mixing bowl. Pour in half the creamy mixture and stir to combine. You will have a thick batter, more similar to cookie dough. Press this into the bottom of your prepared 9×13 pan. Sprinkle half the chocolate chips over the top of this layer.
- Rinse out your mixing bowl and dry. Then pour the strawberry cake mix and the remaining creamy mixture. Stir to combine. Again, you will have a thick batter. Gently press this layer over the top of the chocolate layer. I find it helps to get your fingers wet and press the strawberry batter evenly across the top. Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.