A long, long time ago, as far back as 2010, a new and important tradition began. It was called Galentine’s Day. Write it down girls because someday you’ll begin the tradition with your daughters, granddaughters and their friends. Sorry boys, if you feel a little left out on this one, but we’ll make it up to you by letting you buy us chocolate and flowers tomorrow. For now, I’m celebrating Galentine’s Day with something near and dear to my heart, dessert. And because this is such a special tradition, I pulled out all the stops to share with you these Strawberry Chocolate Dessert Bars. Let the wild rumpus begin!
If you watch the TV show Parks and Rec (and who doesn’t), you’ll know the main character is Leslie Knope, a passionate albeit quirky director of her community’s park and recreation department. Leslie throws an annual Galentine’s Day party celebrating women everywhere, regardless of their relationship status.
Here’s a little fact you may not know about me: I am on the board of directors of our community’s parks and recreation department. That means, if I lived in Pawnee, I would be Leslie’s boss. And if I were Leslie’s boss and she created such a crazy event like Galentine’s Day, well, I would have no other option but to say…Great Job!
I love having a reason to celebrate the successes and failures and courage of other women. So my friend Courtney at NeighborFood decided to take this party to another level by have a blogger celebration for Galentine’s Day. Great women. Fabulous food. A quirky, but fun reason to celebrate. That sounds like a recipe for perfect day.
One quick look out over the frozen, snow-covered tundra that is now my front yard snaps me back into reality. So let me rephrase that. It sounds like a recipe for a nearly perfect day!
Check out the other lovely ladies participating in today’s Galentine’s Day Celebration:
Galentine’s Day Drinks
Blood Orange Bourbon Fizz with Fried Sage from Lauren of Climbing Grier Mountain
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Martini from Shanna of Pineapple and Coconut
Ladies’ Night Rum Punch from Lindsay of The Live In Kitchen
Galentine’s Day Brunch
Sweet Potato Cornmeal Waffles with Bourbon Cream and Pecan Butter from Susan of Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Chocolate Dipped Donuts from Angie of Big Bear’s Wife
Lemon and Ginger Scones from Lauren of Healthy. Delicious.
Galentine’s Day Desserts
Piña Colada Cupcakes from Courtney of Neighborfood
Banana Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting from Nancy of Gotta Get Baked
One Layer Fudge Cake from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Double Strawberry Angel Food Cake with Whipped Vanilla Creme Fraiche from Cynthia of Two Red Bowls
Dark Chocolate Pistachio Ice Cream with Candied Bacon Bits from Steph of Girl Versus Dough
Fruity Dessert Pizza from Morgan of Peaches Please
Secret-Ingredient Chocolate Pecan Bites (Gluten Free!) from Karen of The Food Charlatan
DIY Cheesecake Parfait Bar from Heather of Heather’s Dish
My recipe today does feature two cake mixes, but they’re offset with some healthy fiber via one of my favorite ingredients, chickpeas. That’s right. These Strawberry Chocolate Dessert Bars are another addition to my 100 Things To Do With Chickpeas series.
The only thing (besides palm trees) that would make this day better is celebrating it with you. Happy Galentine’s Day!
Strawberry Chocolate Dessert Bars
- 1 cup dairy-free milk I used almond milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 box Duncan Hines Dark Fudge Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 box Duncan Hines Strawberry Cake Mix
- 4 tablespoons heart sprinkles
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- ¼ teaspoon raspberry extract or vanilla
- Heat your oven to 350F and spray a 9X13 cake pan with vegetable spray.
- Add milk, corn starch, ground flax seeds, chickpeas, and oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth, up to a minute or so.
- Pour the chocolate cake mix into a mixing bowl. Now pour half the chickpea mixture into the bowl and stir to combine. You will have a thick batter, more similar to a cookie dough. Press this into the bottom of your prepared 9X13 pan. Sprinkle half the chocolate chips over the top of this layer.
- Rinse out your mixing bowl and dry. Then pour the strawberry cake mix and the remaining half of the chickpea mixture. Stir to combine. Add about 2 tablespoons of heart sprinkles and give it another stir. Again, you will have a thick batter. Gently press this layer over the top of the chocolate layer. I find it helps to get your fingers wet and press the strawberry batter evenly across the top. Sprinkle the top with the chopped pecans and remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350F for 45 – 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the drizzle by placing the powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add the dairy-free milk, one tablespoon at a time until the mixture has reached a desired drizzling consistency. Add the raspberry (or vanilla) extract. Stir to combine.
- After the dessert bars have had time to cool, drizzle with the raspberry icing. Top with remaining sprinkles.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.