The Best Vegan Strawberry Cake Recipe Ever celebrates deliciousness! Fresh Strawberry Cake From Scratch boasts tender, delicate strawberries in every bite. You’ll love the rich, dense and oh-so-delicious moist cake too. This Vegan Cake is topped with a vegan strawberry frosting recipe also made with fresh strawberries. More proof that you can be vegan and have your pink strawberry cakes too!
My mom makes the best strawberry cake recipes. When I became vegetarian (and then later vegan) I regretted not being able to eat that petty cake anymore because its ingredients included strawberry jello which (believe it or not) falls into the category of surprising foods that are not vegetarian.
However, I recently found a veg-friendly version of jello and my quest for replicating my mom’s cake began. Now I’m sharing with you today the best dairy free strawberry cake…ever!
We’ve gone through several versions of this eggless strawberry cake recipe and all of them have been good.
I don’t know if there is a better flavor in the world than strawberry so making that the hero ingredient of a vegan cake is simply divine. And I read recently that strawberries are one of those nutritionally-dense wonder foods so be sure to have some fresh strawberry slices as a topping (so you can convince yourself you’re eating a healthy strawberry cake).
Moist Strawberry Cake with Jello
You may ask me, how can I get my hands on some vegetarian strawberry jello? It’s a good question and one that could be considered crucial for making this cake. However, I have tried this recipe with and without the vegetarian jello, and it’s great either way!
However, if you want to include some vegetarian jello, Simply Delish makes a vegetarian strawberry jello. I’ve also been able to find strawberry or raspberry vegetarian jello in the health food section of my grocery store.
I used fresh strawberries to make this beautiful vegetarian strawberry cake from scratch even more delicious. I love this tip from Bon Appétit on how to cut fresh strawberries without wasting any fruit.
Wouldn’t this make an amazing vegan strawberry birthday cake recipe? So festive…especially with sprinkles!
How to Make Vegan Strawberry Cake
It’s easy to make this recipe for strawberry cake. Beyond the vegetarian jello, this sponge cake recipe is pretty easy to prepare. Vegan strawberry cake recipes should deliver a moist, sweet cake with lots of fresh strawberries. Are you ready? Let’s get started!
Step One: Mix the Dry Ingredients
Mix the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the vegetarian strawberry jello, if using. Stir this all together.
Step Two: Mix the Wet Ingredients
In a separate bowl combine the vegetable oil, flax seed meal, plant-based milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and natural food coloring. Stir this all together.
Step Three: Prepare and Add the Strawberries
Remove the stems and chop the strawberries until you have 1½ cups chopped strawberries. Pour the chopped strawberries into the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
If you’d rather have a strawberry puree cake, add the strawberries with the wet ingredients above and pulse it all together in a blender or food processor.
Step Four: Make the Cake Batter
Stir in the wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until it’s all incorporated.
Step Five: Bake
Pour the cake batter in your prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes for the 13X9″ pan or 35-40 minutes for the round cake pans. Insert a tester in the middle of the cake and make sure it comes out clean.
It’s really a sweet, tasty easy strawberry cake recipe with real strawberries baked right in!
Strawberry Cake Ingredients
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need for this homemade strawberry cake recipe from scratch:
- flour (I use both all-purpose and whole wheat pastry flour)
- baking soda & baking powder
- vegetarian jello (see above)
- vegetable oil
- ground flax seeds
- plant-based milk (like soy, almond, etc)
- apple cider vinegar
I used some food coloring to make the fresh strawberry cake recipe a slight pink tinge to it. You can find natural food coloring in stores or you can add a teaspoon or two of my favorite beet puree. It adds color and texture to vegan recipes!
Make this into a strawberry layer cake by baking it in two round cake pans and adding a layer of frosting in between the two cakes.
Making Vegan Strawberry Frosting
Prepare the vegan strawberry icing by combining vegan butter (I used Earth Balance) and powdered sugar. Stir until combined and then add mashed strawberries.
Can I make this cake gluten free?
You can make this into a gluten free strawberry cake by using gluten free baking flour in place of the flours in this recipe.
Love Vegan Strawberry Recipes?
If you’ve made it this far, it’s proof you’re a fan of strawberry cake! If so, be sure to check out these amazing recipes:
- This incredible Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Recipe is divine!
- Give this Vegan Strawberry Banana Bread as a gift or keep it all for yourself!
- Go ultra healthy with these Stuffed Strawberries, full of creamy cashew cream!
- Finally, be sure to check out my Best Vegan Strawberry Recipes with lots of tasty vegan recipe ideas!
- For a change of pace, add fresh strawberries to this Vegan Vanilla Cake!
We hope you love this recipe for the Best Ever Vegan Strawberry Cake Recipe made with Fresh Strawberries. If you decide to make this vegan recipe, snap a photo and share it using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Strawberry Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package vegan strawberry jello
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1½ cup plant-based milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- natural food coloring*
- 1 pint fresh strawberries I used fresh, but frozen can be substituted
- ½ cup vegan butter , softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 strawberries , stems removed, chopped and mashed
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour either a 13 X 5 or 2 9-inch cake pans.
- Mix the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the vegetarian strawberry jello, if using. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the vegetable oil, flax seed meal, plant-based milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and natural food coloring. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the stems and chop the strawberries until you have 1½ cups chopped strawberries. Pour the chopped strawberries into the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour the cake batter in your prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes for the 13X9″ pan or 35-40 minutes for the round cake pans. Insert a tester in the middle of the cake and have it come out clean.
For the Strawberry Frosting
- Mix vegan butter with powdered sugar until smooth. Add the mashed strawberries and stir until a smooth consistency is reached. If necessary, add 1 – 3 teaspoons plant-based milk to reach a more spreadable consistency.
- If using a 13X9″ pan: Allow the cake to cool completely before applying a generous layer of frosting over the top.
- If using round cake pans: Allow the cakes to cool about 10 minutes. Use a butter knife to score around the edge of the pan, then invert cakes onto separate plates. Set aside to cool completely. Place a layer of frosting on top of one of the cakes, top with the second cake and then do one of the following 1) add more frosting on the top (creaking a “naked” cake with frosting between the the layers and on the top), or 2) frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Topping: Add freshly sliced strawberries to each serving for that special touch.
Whatever strawberry treat you’re noshing on…enjoy!